Sounds like a plan. 

You know you are under-pricing when the buyer is willing to pay 2 to 3 times the cost of the item, just for shipping!

Tom

19 hours ago, Riem said:

Wow! I like, and like plenty! Why don't you offer the customer a few options and differentiate on the effort it takes? Something along the lines of:

* Basic dopp kit - machine stitched, no piping, no tooling: $80

* Next level up - machine stitched, with piping and one tooled flower: $100

* "Level 3" hand stitched, piping, no tooling: $120

* "Deluxe" - hand stitched, with piping and tooling including three initials: $150

Something like that caters to the customer who wants a status item, or bragging rights, or to the gift market where quality is more desirable than low prices...

Thanks!   And this is something on the lines of what I do with my other product offerings, so if folks order this, it'll be priced with a structure like this.

YinTx

18 minutes ago, Northmount said:

You know you are under-pricing when the buyer is willing to pay 2 to 3 times the cost of the item, just for shipping!

Tom

Haha, yeah I haven't had that problem yet... 'cept for the free gifts I ship out, even then I'm paying the shipping...

YinTx

I really like the design and you have definitely nailed the construction. This is a beautiful piece of art.

I have seen so many of these things recently ... I am inspired to try making one. This will be my 1st zipper install, so maybe I will end up with a weird pouch to keep old tools in, while I make a 2nd 3rd or 4th attempt! :P

Yin,

Did you have a specific plan or template you followed.  I found lots of info doing a search but just curious what template you followed if any.   I need to make one for myself.  Mine is wearing out(not leather) and its old. SO I figure might as well make one for myself

Thanks

Ross

59 minutes ago, Rossr said:

Yin,

Did you have a specific plan or template you followed.  I found lots of info doing a search but just curious what template you followed if any.   I need to make one for myself.  Mine is wearing out(not leather) and its old. SO I figure might as well make one for myself

Thanks

Ross

Rossr,

I just did some math and sketched the pattern out myself...turns out I screwed up the math, so the dimensions weren't exactly what I was expecting, but came out ok anyhow.  Since the math was off, I tossed the sketch.  Here is one I just did so you can see the shape.  It is stitched inside out obviously, and turned.  The two matching pieces of zip are on opposite sides.  Let me know if this makes sense to you.

DoppPattern.thumb.jpg.2fde2e6a5343c73d9da98209966590a5.jpg

YinTx

Thanks Yin and yes it does.

I also found this on a google search

Seems similar

Ross. 

3 hours ago, Rossr said:

I also found this on a google search

Thats the one, for sure.  Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

YinTx

Ok I got mine done .    Overall it wasn't bad.   I did machine stitch mine.  And I did get off a little on the one side carved panel.  I cant imagine hand stitching these my hat is off to you Yin!   the machine made it pretty quick.  Most of the figuring was just in the learning on how to do it.   I would make the left to right handle a shade bigger next time and the inside bugs me with the mass of the leather showing in there.   Which could be tamed by skiving it down. 

Bag is Oil tan leather(Is this what is called pull up leather?)  The side panels that I carved are veg tan of course.  Overall I felt I rushed the carving and sewing the carved panels on a bit.   But its a user for me.  So that is ok I guess!

I dont want to hijack Yins topic here and I will post another one under show off but figured I would add the pics

Ross

dopp1.jpg

dopp2.jpg

dopp3.jpg

dopp4.jpg

2 hours ago, Rossr said:

Which could be tamed by skiving it down. 

Looks good!  and yes, lots of skiving. The leather I had used was pretty thick. I really need a bell skiving machine to get nice and even, as well as faster.  Even with the skiving, I added a cotton binder to the inside to clean up the look some, but still it was a bit much for my taste.  Not sure what one could do about that. 

YinTx

Yea I should have used the skiver on it but it's fine for me.  Next one I'll do some playing with that.  Just a reality of how it goes together.

Edited by Rossr