RegisD

Lee Marvin style belt & holster set-up

Sometimes you make something just to see if you can, and this is one of those times.  Way back in 1966 actor Lee Marvin wore an unusual double buckle pants belt with his gun rig in the movie "The Professionals".  With the help of a holster pattern from Will Ghormley, I attempted to recreate the style, it was a fun project I hope you like it. 

rsz_img_2159.jpg

Lee Marvin rig.jpg

Nice looking work, but looks like it is a challenge getting the buckles through the pants loop!

The Professionals - one of my favorite western movies....

Gary

Yes, the buckles barely fit through the pants loops.   There is supposed to be a practical reason for this type of belt, you can access either side of the belt for putting stuff on without taking the belt off.   I don't find it a very practical design, but for Lee Marvin in the movie it was all about cool factor.  

Great job.

Great craftsmanship. Thank you for sharing.  

Looks good. And you can never discount the cool factor. Sometimes you just gotta deal with a hassle for cool. :lol:

Thanks everybody for the nice compliments, much appreciated.  Yes, Mattsbagger you are right, you can never discount the cool factor, it sells more stuff than the  practical factor any day.  If I was a Harley leather maker, and I'm not, I would jump all over this belt design.  Not only would it be cool in black with some conchos, but it would be practical because the buckles wouldn't be cutting into the riders belly.  Just my dos centavos. 

Looks like really nice work!

Took a tour of the images from the movie...looks cool for sure and now I need to see the movie!!

Lee Marvin prof.jpg

Yes, looks much cooler on Lee Marvin :wacko:

Just ordered the DVD!

Yeah favorite quote, “,but you sir, are a self made man.”

Not to reference anybody, just my favorite quote from that movie.

:lol:

Lee Marvin was a Marine. As accomplished as he was as an actor, he opted to be remembered as a jarhead on his headstone. I think that is pretty cool. Could've afforded a huge fancy headstone, etc., but went for the VA provided headstone.

Yes, being a Marine is one of those forever things. 

On a cowboy shooting forum it was pointed out that I left off the oval center part of the pants belt.  On closer examination of pictures of the original belt, they were correct, I hadn't noticed it.  So,  instead of remaking the center part of the belt, I add some Mexican silver.   Hope you like it. 

rsz_img_2162.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

Wow... you made that?

Plinkercases, I would love to be able to do silver smithing, but no I didn't make it.  It is a cowboy buckle I had made about twenty-five years ago and now it has a new purpose.  Thanks for asking.  

I know I shouldn't hijack threads, but I couldn't resist this, as it is one of my favourite film anecdotes

The part of Quint, the shark fisherman in 'Jaws' was originally offered to Lee Marvin, but he turned it down, saying; "I eat fish, I don't act with them".

If at first you don't succeed try again.  This is my revised version of the style 1911 gun rig and belt worn by Lee Marvin in The Professionals.  I think I've got it right this time.  Hope you like it. 

LM.jpg

LM2.jpg

Cant wait for the third version...all excellent and getting more so.

In the picture was it a mag pouch on his weak side or in some it looked almost like an open top holster?

Not sure if you said above but what is the finish you used?

Plinkercases, Thanks much appreciated.  Actually on his weak side he wore an open top holster with a S&W 38 revolver, he wore the clip pouch at the small of his back.  

Semper Fi 

My DVD just arrived and it is on the schedule for this weekend!!!