For some time when using my head knives I have wanted a stand up holster/stand to put it in safely between the repetitive using of them. Its a long print job but for me it is worth it at least. Here is the stl file - HEAD KNIFE HOLDER.stl

You will need to lay it as shown in the below pictures. To try and save print time I have drawn it with a hole in the base to act as a support. This way in Curra I have given it No fill. Here is an extract of the settings I used.

M190 S65.000000                (BED TEMPERATURE)
M109 S215.000000              (NOZZLE TEMPERATURE)

; -- START GCODE --
;Sliced at: Sat 25-08-2018 19:34:19
;Basic settings: Layer height: 0.2mm
;                Walls: 1.2mm
;                Top and Bottom: 1.6mm
;                Fill: 0 percent
;Print speed: 60
;Print time: 9 hours 18 minutes
;Filament used: 49.55m 146.0g
;Filament cost: 5.41

The first pic here shows the bottom layer near done

DSC03757_resize.JPG

Now showing the shell style print

DSC03759_resize.JPG

At this stage the print has started the blade curve

DSC03766_resize.JPG

This shows the point at 71.8mm high where to watch for any filament colapse as it is starting the bottom of the knife feral support. A 6" knife will not touch the walls if located in the centre hole.

DSC03784_resize.JPG

DSC03785_resize.JPG

DSC03786_resize.JPG

The top is now starting to connect

DSC03806_resize.JPG

At this stage the print in the air starts.....No problems found.

DSC03807_resize.JPG

First layer over the air done.

DSC03817_resize.JPG

Yippie ...success :P

DSC03821_resize.JPG

Here showing the large 6" head knife comfortably housed

DSC03830_resize.JPG

DSC03829_resize.JPG

Now showing the smaller Osborne knife that has a wider feral. It sits in nicely as well.

DSC03834_resize.JPG

That's it all I think

@YinTx inspired me with this. If I recall I was trying to explain the new Taco shell shape.:P

Brian

DSC03834_resize.JPG

DSC03790_resize.JPG

That is so cool Brian!  Still don’t understand how you get from idea to completed project, but I really like the idea.  Is it pretty stable from toppling over if you brush against the handle accidentally?  When you are printing these, is it possible to pause the printer and perhaps add some shot or other heavier ballast to the base for extra stability, and then resume printing?  Maybe not necessary in this case, but got me thinking.

Gary

Well that's cool. It's amazing how you find the time for programming/engineering with all the products you produce.

You must never sleep.

29 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Well that's cool. It's amazing how you find the time for programming/engineering with all the products you produce.

You must never sleep.

Mutt - I was thinking the same thing!

1 hour ago, garypl said:

As was I!

19 hours ago, garypl said:

That is so cool Brian!  Still don’t understand how you get from idea to completed project, but I really like the idea.  Is it pretty stable from toppling over if you brush against the handle accidentally?  When you are printing these, is it possible to pause the printer and perhaps add some shot or other heavier ballast to the base for extra stability, and then resume printing?  Maybe not necessary in this case, but got me thinking.

Gary

Hi Garry, I did not know if it would be as stable as I wanted and that is 1 reason that I wanted it hollow inside so I could fill it with sand if needed. I Thought about printing it with a hole for that purpose but decided it would be easy to just drill a hole in the base and fill it and seal it later. You can pause the print and add components like nuts and so on but with the weight to add ballast the table on my old antique printer would have to be throwing that around as well .....not a good idea. Some printers operate from up at the head only in X and Y directions and they should have no worries like that. Conclusion is that I think its more than stable enough without the sand.;)

17 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

You must never sleep.

17 hours ago, garypl said:

15 hours ago, battlemunky said:

As was I!

I work really hard so one day I can be lazy and I enjoy designing stuff to make my life easier. Plus when designing I get to sit on my but awhile.:wub:

Thankfully my missus doesn't read this forum :P

5 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Hi Garry, I did not know if it would be as stable as I wanted and that is 1 reason that I wanted it hollow inside so I could fill it with sand if needed. I Thought about printing it with a hole for that purpose but decided it would be easy to just drill a hole in the base and fill it and seal it later. You can pause the print and add components like nuts and so on but with the weight to add ballast the table on my old antique printer would have to be throwing that around as well .....not a good idea. Some printers operate from up at the head only in X and Y directions and they should have no worries like that. Conclusion is that I think its more than stable enough without the sand.;)

Brian - I didn’t even consider the extra weight might affect the table movement.  Your idea about drilling a hole in the base to add sand sounds easier anyway!  Thanks for your input - always interesting to see the projects you come up with!

Gary

Very cool idea. Has me thinking maybe I'll make one out of wood. Just wondering if I'll wind up having a mess from catching the blade on the wood when inserting it.

If you squared off half way up the front into a level parch you could add a stamp section of holes to keep them out of the way