so, curious on how all of you store your paints/oils & dyes. I have mine just in a bag as I have no shelf room to store them on. but this causes some of them to tip over and leak at times even with the lids being on tight when the bag is not full. share your pictures of your storage.

I got a  cheap waterproof plastic storage box from a local discount store, and made some divisions or 'nests' from cardboard. I don't need to carry it anywhere, it just sits on the floor in a corner of my work room. So far nothing has fallen over or spilled, but if it did, the liquid would be contained in the box

Handsome is as handsome does

I faced a similar problem and bought a box that fits under the workbench. These days I use several boxes, which are cleverly organised so at any time I can instantly lay my hand on the essential thing I was looking for yesterday but never the thing I need now.

47 minutes ago, Matt S said:

I faced a similar problem and bought a box that fits under the workbench. These days I use several boxes, which are cleverly organised so at any time I can instantly lay my hand on the essential thing I was looking for yesterday but never the thing I need now.

YES! And I thought it was just me!

So far I haven't accumulated enough to present a problem. But I am working on that. Hope to be able to have my own disorganized mess in the not too distant future.

55 minutes ago, zuludog said:

YES! And I thought it was just me!

Well it keeps the local shops in business. Last week I needed some turps. Couldn't find the turps. Bought a new bottle of turps. Did the job involving turps. Went to put the new bottle of turps away... next to three other part-used bottles of turps.

When I buy a bottle of dye or some other liquid needed for leather work, the store always seals it in a ziplock bag. The bags are big enough to hold 3 bottles of dye. So, I keep them in the bags. The bags are then stored in a Rubbermaid container that is just a little taller than the tallest bottle. Currently, one container is so full the bottles can't fall over, and I have a second that contains the non-dyes, and it's getting pretty full too!

Even if the containers do fall over, the bags will contain any spills/leaks.

You'd think the companies that make the dyes could design a leak-proof container but noooo..... :unsure:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

If med bottles are anything to go by, spill proof would also be me proof. :lol:

LOL, Scoobie! Yeah, I've had a lot of problems opening some of those bottles! And sometimes the darn things spill or leak during the struggle! 

I've now gotten into the habit of wiping down the bottles and caps before re-sealing them, as that seem to help keep the caps from getting seized up.

G'Day, 

This is my....messy...arrangement  for my dyes etc. It used to be a lottery/ scratchie  bench from our local newsagent, that and the  grey rubbish  bin to the left...( for the losing tickets ) .

I use  small  plastic kitchen/laundry baskets  to store them . Most are water based, with some added  spirit  to assist in  drying. Some are oil based, ' Raven Oils' , the small glass bottles (out of view) .

When my dyes  & sealers etc. arrive from my supplier, I top up all the smaller bottles using the larger  1 & 2 litre bottles you can see on the bottom left of the  shelf.  Its  case  of ' not putting all my eggs in one basket ' .  Its well ventilated, but also away from windows &  direct sunlight....and well away from the main work benches. 

You can see my air compressor to the right that I sometimes use for air brushing. 

The red  hand pump to the right is for transferring  acetone  from a 4ltr tin to a 1ltr. tin, otherwise its a messy & costly affair using a funnel.  (Its also for my kero heater) . 

HS :) 

Leather & Workshop pics 007.jpg

I'm lucky enuf to have shelf units in my 'work-room'

Dyes et cetera are kept in boxes on the shelves. Small bottles, the 4 US oz sized ones are kept in an old card fruit box. I got this as a temporary box many years ago and despi it being card board its lasted well. Taller bottles, eg 500ml of diluted dye, or the tall Eco- ones are kept in a taller plastic box. 32 US oz bottles are just kept on a shelf behind the tins of beeswax polish, mink oil cream, .....

Photos maybe, later, if I can tidy that area enuf to photo it

I use a 4 drawer filing cabinet, and so far, I have only filled the top drawer with dye, solvents, oils etc. The other drawers have letter stamps, excess buckles, press studs and rivets and a few tools that are ... 'surplus to requirements'.

I bought a heap of 2nd-hand gear on the weekend, so I am now halfway thru filling my 2nd drawer. Its interesting to see the different dyes, coatings, waxes and oils that people use.

I guess it's time to see if I have doubles of any bottles or jars. Maybe I can reduce the space taken up, by pouring 2 into 1.