CutThumb

Advice on cutting a side up

Hi, I just took delivery of my first big piece of veg tanned, a 29’ side. Are there any resources detailing which areas are best suited to various purposes? I’m a little scared to start cutting out panels for notebooks without soaking up some knowledge!

Also any advice on optimum storing conditions would be appreciated. TIA.

Generally the thickest and stiffest part is along the back bone, it gets more stretchy the closer you get to the belly.

Belts from the back, purses & book covers from the middle, light weight occasional bags from the belly, but as there is no hard line from one area to another a piece has to be judged on its own merits

I never cut a side up. I cut a number of belt strips from it and then just use it as required.

I'm not sure but I bet Al S said something in one of his books  :lol:

23 minutes ago, fredk said:

Generally the thickest and stiffest part is along the back bone, it gets more stretchy the closer you get to the belly.

Belts from the back, purses & book covers from the middle, light weight occasional bags from the belly, but as there is no hard line from one area to another a piece has to be judged on its own merits

I never cut a side up. I cut a number of belt strips from it and then just use it as required.

I'm not sure but I bet Al S said something in one of his books  :lol:

Ah, thanks. I need a new belt anyway! Is the belly good for wallets too?

i keep looking at his books but they cost a bloody fortune.

Most of his books can be had on Amazon for less than 20 American.

Not sure how that translates to Sussex?

3 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Most of his books can be had on Amazon for less than 20 American.

Not sure how that translates to Sussex?

I’ve seen them close to forty Sussex pounds, which is too rich for my wallet currently. I downloaded a free pdf of the figure carving book but it was dark and hard to read all the type.

1 hour ago, CutThumb said:

... Is the belly good for wallets too?

Not really; depends on just how stretchy it is. Try pulling it in different directions. It'll stretch most going away from the back bone. The leather will stiffen up a wee bit as you work it. I find belly is decent for womens' bags, as they try to cram the whole house hold into it.

i keep looking at his books but they cost a bloody fortune.

yup, they are. choose carefully, buy wisely, but they are an investment, just like a good knife.

But try here too; https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/

Via that library you can download most of Al's books - at a price of course, but often cheaper than a paper copy

https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/category/79/ebooks

I’ve seen them close to forty Sussex pounds, which is too rich for my wallet currently. I downloaded a free pdf of the figure carving book but it was dark and hard to read all the type.

Not sure what the exchange rate is from Sussex to Newcastle pounds but Le Prevo's prices are fairly reasonable for the Stohlman books. And of course the government doesn't make it 20% more expensive (books are VAT free, though patterns aren't.)

Al Stohlman was a lot of people's introduction to what you might call serious hobby leather-crafting, mine included. A lot of patterns in his books may be outdated (belt pouch for your cinderblock sized CB radio anyone?) but the principles and construction methods are absolutely sound. (It's also important to remember that Al Stohlman didn't have the wide range of experience in different techniques and materials that we can easily access today. They're a great starting point but should be remembered as such and not the be-all-and-end-all of leatherwork.)

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/book-list.htm

29' is a pretty big side.  What is the WEIGHT?  That and the size of the notebooks you want would be the questions to ask before cutting into the leather.  

For weights above 6 oz [ 2mm ] thick, I usually cut the shoulder off, then cut a straight edge down the BACKBONE side of the remaining hide, all the way down.  Again, reason being what I'm going to use it for. 

29 ft is kinda average for a side in the UK. We have big cows

Here's the guide I use for deciding what sort of leather to use for a project:

LeatherUsage.jpg

LeatherHideParts-Thickness-Conversion2.jpg

It’s 5oz. Notebooks are what I’ve mostly made so far. I have a few orders for Christmas. I’m keen to do some belts and walkets though.

Thanks for all the great comments. That chart is really useful.

And in Newcastle pounds, I’d say it’s probably enough to get a round in at the Labour Club on match day ;) I was born just the other side of Gateshead, man.

5 oz - 2mm approx. You'll need to double that up for a decent belt. I don't use any thinner than 3.5mm for belts.

We use thinner belts than our US chums as we have no requirement to carry heavy items on our belts. Our belts merely serve to hold our trousers up

Strange things people boast about, is that past the Watford gap by any chance

Edited by chrisash