rickybobby

Kahr K-9 Dummy Gun - Borrow, Rent, Use - Options?

Hi,

I have a customer that wants me to build a Holster for a Kahr K-9

I don't have one nor any of my friends so that is out.

I have never been asked about this gun before so buying a new dummy for it ($60.00 +) I would rather not do.

(I have to many already hanging on the wall not pulling their weight!) lol!!

He is not local so using his gun is not an option, he is a great customer so telling him "No" is a last resort.

If anyone has a dummy I can Use, Rent, Borrow, Buy..... I'll pay all shipping back and forth. I'll only need it for 2 or 3 days

rick@DesertGunLeather.com

I have a cw45 for sale in the for sale threads it looks similar but you would need to determine if it is close enough I am selling for 25 plus 10 for shipping.

Remember to ask your customer if he has the 7, 8 or the 9 round versions of the clips or he has all three versions. The basic frame is the same unless he has added different front /rear sights to the slide, a bottom laser dot or different hand grips. The clips are three different lengths and this may play in your design / layout / making of the holster. Maybe worth checking what mods if any he has done to it as a standard dummy may or may not work. 

kgg

8 hours ago, OLDNSLOW said:

I have a cw45 for sale in the for sale threads it looks similar but you would need to determine if it is close enough I am selling for 25 plus 10 for shipping.

Thanks, I took a look at size specs & photos on their website, they are close but not close enough.  I'm afraid it just wouldn't work but thanks for the offer. That is a good deal on the dummy gun!

8 hours ago, kgg said:

Remember to ask your customer if he has the 7, 8 or the 9 round versions of the clips or he has all three versions. The basic frame is the same unless he has added different front /rear sights to the slide, a bottom laser dot or different hand grips. The clips are three different lengths and this may play in your design / layout / making of the holster. Maybe worth checking what mods if any he has done to it as a standard dummy may or may not work. 

kgg

Thanks for the info!

The K, P, T, and CW series should have the same or very similar dimensions if that helps.  I actually own a CW, a real one, and have done decent with it but they certainly don't fly out of here either.  

On 10/18/2018 at 3:45 PM, rickybobby said:

Hi,

I have a customer that wants me to build a Holster for a Kahr K-9

I don't have one nor any of my friends so that is out.

I have never been asked about this gun before so buying a new dummy for it ($60.00 +) I would rather not do.

(I have to many already hanging on the wall not pulling their weight!) lol!!

He is not local so using his gun is not an option, he is a great customer so telling him "No" is a last resort.

If anyone has a dummy I can Use, Rent, Borrow, Buy..... I'll pay all shipping back and forth. I'll only need it for 2 or 3 days

rick@DesertGunLeather.com

Rickybobby, . . . I have down thru the years came across your exact situation more than once.

My cure for it was simple, . . . build a wooden replica.

I have a small tub of them, . . . including a S&W 29, . . . a Kahr (forget the model), . . . a little bitty .380, . . . and others.  

Start with the basic outline after you have made a board the appropriate thickness, . . . band saw it out, . . . sand down the edges, . . . and go for it.

So far, . . . none of my customers have seen the dummy I use, because they are pretty much all mail orders, . . . but I've also never had negative feedback.

I'm not out in the shop right now, . . . but if you want I can get pics and post em for you to show you what I've done. 

AND, . . . no it really is not hard to do.  I usually knock one out in about an hour, . . . and I use my "down time" to do them.

May God bless,

Dwight

8 hours ago, Dwight said:

Rickybobby, . . . I have down thru the years came across your exact situation more than once.

My cure for it was simple, . . . build a wooden replica.

I have a small tub of them, . . . including a S&W 29, . . . a Kahr (forget the model), . . . a little bitty .380, . . . and others.  

Start with the basic outline after you have made a board the appropriate thickness, . . . band saw it out, . . . sand down the edges, . . . and go for it.

So far, . . . none of my customers have seen the dummy I use, because they are pretty much all mail orders, . . . but I've also never had negative feedback.

I'm not out in the shop right now, . . . but if you want I can get pics and post em for you to show you what I've done. 

AND, . . . no it really is not hard to do.  I usually knock one out in about an hour, . . . and I use my "down time" to do them.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the info Dwight.  I'm leaning towards this solution! 

I may try one, I have a band saw, files, sandpaper.

Rick

On 10/21/2018 at 10:31 AM, chiefjason said:

The K, P, T, and CW series should have the same or very similar dimensions if that helps.  I actually own a CW, a real one, and have done decent with it but they certainly don't fly out of here either.  

Thanks for info Chief.  I have been asked about the Kahr's quite a few times over the years but no "one gun" is asked for enough to buy the dummy for.  

I bought a group of dummy guns a year or so ago, a Kahr PM9 was in that bunch. It looks like the size/width looks the nearly the same, the main difference is barrel length. I can "Fake" that! lol!! (I forgot I had the PM9, thats how often I've used it!)