superpacker

Sleighbell Door Hanger Template?

I think Tandy has a template in the Leathercraft Library. May even be free?

5 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I think Tandy has a template in the Leathercraft Library. May even be free?

I was walking around Tandy and they are having a class next weekend. In Colorado Springs.

I don't think you really need a template for this. Just buy a veg tan strip from Tandy of whatever width you prefer - 1 1/2 inches would be about right.  Get some sleigh bells from the local craft store (MIchaels would be my first choice here in Ontario) and maybe some red and green felt if you want to get fancy.

Dye the strip whatever colour you want, and finish it with whatever top coat you normally use to make it weather resistant and nice and shiny.

You'll need a D ring for hanging, or you could thread ribbon or twine through the top of the strip. Double the top of the strip over to hold the ring/twine, then either insert a rivet or sew the leather together to make a hanger.

Measure carefully and place the bells at equal intervals, punch 2 holes for each bell, thread twine or lace through the hole and tie them in place. For a bit of colour, glue the felt to the back so about 1/4 inch of it peeks out around the edge of the strip. It will also cover over where you've attached the bells. You can also hang a bit of greenery at the top end of the strip for decoration. The sort of fake holly leaves, pine needles, pine cones, etc. used for decorating gifts would look nice.

If you want to get fancy, get a narrow leather strip, cut slits in the strap slightly wider than the strip, 2 slits per bell, then thread the strip through the slits to hold your bells. The strip can hang down at the bottom, as an added bit of decoration, and you can attach it at the top when you make your hanger.

Edit: If this sounds too compicated, Tandy does have a pattern for 99 cents: https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/product/1419/door-hanger-pattern And they give assembly instructions, too! http://blog.leathercraftlibrary.com/2011/08/22/miniature-christmas-door-hanger/

A holly leaf pattern is  available as well. https://www.leathercraftlibrary.com/product/1422/leather-holly-leaves-pattern

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Good answer Sheilajeanne!  

I am pumped about my chance for new decorations this year! Gonna make those cute little Christmas trees with tiny red and gold balls. I wonder if I can put a tiny star on the top.

What decorations have you guys made?

Edited by ScoobyNewbie

I have seen this around here before.  A quick search in these halls revealed the following nuggets:

Hope it helps!

YinTx

Hi folks. Just joined, loving the place so far. I've been making these . some with ribbons at the top, some with a ring. Hope it helps. I just cut straps the same size as my belts 1.5" . for the ribbon ones i do 13" long, loops i do 15" . Can upload a pic of the loop type if you need it.

But yeah, i decorate the borders, in between the bells. Bells are 1"

door hangar.jpg