KennethM

Techsew 1460

Hello every one.I am new to industrail sewing machines.I purchased a techsew1460 due to it being on sale.So far I'm kinda happy with the purchase.I need help understanding it a bit more.

So I swapped the stock pressure feet out for smooth one.Now to pressure feet seem to stick in the up position a bit more.Then when I go to hand crack it,they slam down.

---I also messed with the presure feet tension,to find the sweet spot for wallets.

-------Do you think my pressure foot tension is to lose so they feet Are sticking?

---Could it be needing to be oiled?

Also could use some help balancing the tension..

I have the top thread looking decent(to me) however the bottom thread I still see knots.From my understanding that means the top tension is to lose right?

Open to all and welcome all advice

So far there is a few things about techsew I'm not happy with.The servo motor loest rpm setting is 660rpms..However the motor doesn't work untill about 900+Rpms..that is not while sewing ,that is just trying to operate the motor.

The instruction manual just sucks,it out right sucks.

There is no maintenance instructions.For a novice like me it leave a lot of unanswered questions.

Thank you all.

27 minutes ago, KennethM said:

So I swapped the stock pressure feet out for smooth one.Now to pressure feet seem to stick in the up position a bit more.Then when I go to hand crack it,they slam down

The new outside foot may be rubbing against the inside foot, causing the hangup. It could be twisted slightly due to a manufacturing issue. I have purchased aftermarket feet that were misaligned. The original feet would have been installed by the dealer and they made sure they were inline and not rubbing.

If the feet aren't misaligned, the new foot could be wider inside, causing it to grab the inside foot at a certain lift position.

Adding more foot pressure overcomes slight misalignment.

First I would call Techsew and explain your problems to them (no maintenance manual, sticky foot lift and servo motor high starting rpm). The info on their website says the 1460 comes with a their 550 watt servo motor with 12 settings between 0 and 3450 rpm. In the interim I would remove the front cover and see if there is something obviously loose or broken. If nothing is obvious oil the hell out of everything also check the foot lifting mechanism as well as the knee lift links.

kgg

4 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

The new outside foot may be rubbing against the inside foot, causing the hangup. It could be twisted slightly due to a manufacturing issue. I have purchased aftermarket feet that were misaligned. The original feet would have been installed by the dealer and they made sure they were inline and not rubbing.

If the feet aren't misaligned, the new foot could be wider inside, causing it to grab the inside foot at a certain lift position.

Adding more foot pressure overcomes slight misalignment.

It does look slightly mis aligned .It seems to have a small gap around the inside foot..I can fit thread in between the two.Maybe when it lifts up tho its rubbing and I canr see it.

I will tighten up the foot pressure and let you know how it goes.

11 minutes ago, kgg said:

First I would call Techsew and explain your problems to them (no maintenance manual, sticky foot lift and servo motor high starting rpm). The info on their website says the 1460 comes with a their 550 watt servo motor with 12 settings between 0 and 3450 rpm. In the interim I would remove the front cover and see if there is something obviously loose or broken. If nothing is obvious oil the hell out of everything also check the foot lifting mechanism as well as the knee lift links.

kgg

Well I did call them about the motor.I was told it may just need more juice to operate...lame answers if you were to ask me.

Edited by KennethM

The 1460 is the same type of model Sailrite cloned for their Fabricator machine. All of the adjustments and tuning should be the same.

Sailrite has a VERY thorough user/adjustment manual. Everything about that machine is covered.

https://www.sailrite.com/PDF/2016_Fabricator_Guidebook.pdf

I had one of these machines and for what it was, I loved it. Only reason I sold it was to get something with more foot lift/capacity.

The only big difference with the 1460 will be the handwheel/belt/motor, Sailrite has a proprietary drive setup.

1 hour ago, KennethM said:

Well I did call them about the motor.I was told it may just need more juice to operate...lame answers if you were to ask me.

Have or can you measure the voltage at the outlet where you plugged in the motor?

3 hours ago, KennethM said:

What a load of garbage!! Whoever you spoke to has no idea what they're talking about.

This machine is the same as the Consew P1206 we've been selling & we haven't had issues like this with it.You have some good advice already & it sounds like it needs some oil on all the walking foot parts underneath the cover & you possibly could have the tension too loose so you might have to increase it a little to make it go down.And after you use it for a month or so you can loosen the pressure foot tension once it gets broken in.

Did you buy the machine directly from Techsew or a dealer? Did the feet stick before you replaced them with the smooth feet? Once you check the links place the original ones back on and see if still happens. The new ones may need to be adjusted or filed a bit to give more side clearance. As far as the motor goes:

1. I would check the voltage at that plug anyway like Wiz said. If possible, plug it into another plug on a different circuit.

2. Remove the belt from the motor so there is no load on the motor during startup and see if you get a high rpm jump.

3. Check and see if the connection from the sewing table foot peddle to the motor level is adjusted properly and see if there is anything jamming the motors actuating rod or something got buckled during shipment.

If you are getting smooth no load control you maybe having other internal issues related to the sewing machine itself that are causing an initial high load condition on the motor.

As far as "needing more juice" unless you are having problems with other appliances / computers, lights constantly dimming or the machine is plugged into a circuit with high motor loads like fridges or deep freezes, I doubt a "juice" problem. Will that be orange or tomato juice with your veg?

I am guessing that you have a bum motor. 

kgg

8 hours ago, R8R said:

The 1460 is the same type of model Sailrite cloned for their Fabricator machine. All of the adjustments and tuning should be the same.

Sailrite has a VERY thorough user/adjustment manual. Everything about that machine is covered.

https://www.sailrite.com/PDF/2016_Fabricator_Guidebook.pdf

I had one of these machines and for what it was, I loved it. Only reason I sold it was to get something with more foot lift/capacity.

The only big difference with the 1460 will be the handwheel/belt/motor, Sailrite has a proprietary drive setup.

Thank you brother.Ill have to take a look at this!

8 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Have or can you measure the voltage at the outlet where you plugged in the motor?

No sir,I dont have the proper equipment

1 hour ago, CowboyBob said:

This machine is the same as the Consew P1206 we've been selling & we haven't had issues like this with it.You have some good advice already & it sounds like it needs some oil on all the walking foot parts underneath the cover & you possibly could have the tension too loose so you might have to increase it a little to make it go down.And after you use it for a month or so you can loosen the pressure foot tension once it gets broken in.

Thank you for the advice brother.I fooled around with the pressure feet alignment,so far so good!

40 minutes ago, kgg said:

Did you buy the machine directly from Techsew or a dealer? Did the feet stick before you replaced them with the smooth feet? Once you check the links place the original ones back on and see if still happens. The new ones may need to be adjusted or filed a bit to give more side clearance. As far as the motor goes:

1. I would check the voltage at that plug anyway like Wiz said. If possible, plug it into another plug on a different circuit.

2. Remove the belt from the motor so there is no load on the motor during startup and see if you get a high rpm jump.

3. Check and see if the connection from the sewing table foot peddle to the motor level is adjusted properly and see if there is anything jamming the motors actuating rod or something got buckled during shipment.

If you are getting smooth no load control you maybe having other internal issues related to the sewing machine itself that are causing an initial high load condition on the motor.

As far as "needing more juice" unless you are having problems with other appliances / computers, lights constantly dimming or the machine is plugged into a circuit with high motor loads like fridges or deep freezes, I doubt a "juice" problem. Will that be orange or tomato juice with your veg?

I am guessing that you have a bum motor. 

kgg

I am about to go through this check list and check all these things brother.

You know what I just noticed..I think the put the rpm sticker on wrong..I never looked under here with a flashlight untill now...The speed Bob is in the first speed setting on 660 but I never noticed that to the left of it says 350 Rpms..maybe they put the sticker on all jacked up.

Question.If my theory on the sticker is true then the motor is fine.So what I thought was 900+Rpms might be more like in the 600s..however in this low speed setting if I am sewing 4oz veg tan with a diamond point needle should the needle get stuck?At this speed with this leather and needle,after a few stitches the needle just gets stuck.

Hi Kenneth, we're looking into the issue with the motor settings. It does sound like the RPM sticker may be slightly off as in our testing here this motor starts operating at around the 300RPM line. Now, depending on the thickness of the material you're sewing you may need to turn up the speed a bit since the material thickness will limit the motor's ability to operate at the minimum speed. If the speed is still too fast for you there are other options available ie installing a speed reducer.

As for the presser foot alignment, can you please email us some photos of the new feet you installed so we can verify if everything was installed correctly?

I have attached a copy of the instruction manual and parts manual for the 1460. Just wanted to make sure you received the right one. If there are any further questions you are free to give us a call or email at any time - we're always happy to assist.

Best regards,
Ron

1460manual.pdf

On 10/24/2018 at 8:45 AM, Techsew Ron said:

Hi Kenneth, we're looking into the issue with the motor settings. It does sound like the RPM sticker may be slightly off as in our testing here this motor starts operating at around the 300RPM line. Now, depending on the thickness of the material you're sewing you may need to turn up the speed a bit since the material thickness will limit the motor's ability to operate at the minimum speed. If the speed is still too fast for you there are other options available ie installing a speed reducer.

As for the presser foot alignment, can you please email us some photos of the new feet you installed so we can verify if everything was installed correctly?

I have attached a copy of the instruction manual and parts manual for the 1460. Just wanted to make sure you received the right one. If there are any further questions you are free to give us a call or email at any time - we're always happy to assist.

Best regards,
Ron

1460manual.pdf

Tthanks for the instruction manual.As far as the motor starting at the 300rpm realm for you that's cool.Do me at 300rpm(not sewing anything ) I can hear the motor reving up however the belt doesn't move..Like I said the needle doesn't move untill maybe 600 Rpms(guessing since the sticker is on wrong) ..At anything lower then that you can hear the motor but nothing happens.

Thanks

hi  KennethM

Have you tried removing the drive belt and seeing what happens with the motor having no startup load of the belt or machine? Or remove the feet from the machine all together and see what happens. Keep us up to date.

kgg

13 hours ago, kgg said:

hi  KennethM

Have you tried removing the drive belt and seeing what happens with the motor having no startup load of the belt or machine? Or remove the feet from the machine all together and see what happens. Keep us up to date.

kgg

I have not thought about that.Remove the feet?you mean the pressure feet?I fixed them sticking.

I got my speed reducer in today so I will remove the belt and do some test and see what happens brother.Busy day today My son turns 14!

Two of my servo motors (different brands) do the same thing (no power at turn over speed, or too high a workable speed). It is a manufacturing defect, or resistor/electronics tolerance issue. The only recourse is to try another motor (ask the dealer to test it before shipping it), or live with it.

I looked at your video, clearly shows no load startup at a couple of low settings. I would forward it on to Techsew to show them what you are contending with. The motor might have gotten a bang during shipment. I know I would definitely not be satisfied with that motors functionally or confidence in it's longevity.

kgg

1 hour ago, kgg said:

I looked at your video, clearly shows no load startup at a couple of low settings. I would forward it on to Techsew to show them what you are contending with. The motor might have gotten a bang during shipment. I know I would definitely not be satisfied with that motors functionally or confidence in it's longevity.

kgg

For sure..very frustrating..I emailed them the vid.We will see what happens

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

Two of my servo motors (different brands) do the same thing (no power at turn over speed, or too high a workable speed). It is a manufacturing defect, or resistor/electronics tolerance issue. The only recourse is to try another motor (ask the dealer to test it before shipping it), or live with it.

If its a known issue ,why not engineer it better?

It comes down to dollars and cents. Cheaper to replace non spec equipment IF the end user (us the customer) complains. I would think with mash production, probably in China, the manufacturer probably does spot checks on first tear client equipment and expects the client to be responsible for any further checks on the rest.

kgg

20 hours ago, KennethM said:

For sure..very frustrating..I emailed them the vid.We will see what happens

If its a known issue ,why not engineer it better?

Folks started complaining to the makers of the now-defunct Sew Pro 500GR servo motors (I have one of the last ones) about problems with casing changes they made in the second generation. They were in China and decided to go to lunch to discuss what to do. They never returned from lunch.

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

They were in China and decided t go to lunch to discuss what to do. They never returned from lunch.

:lol::lol: You have a way with words, Wiz.

My latest servo doesn't have the smooth (slow) transition from start to max movement that my others have (different brand). I figure it's probably due to the design in the way it interprets the signal from the Hall Effect sensor, so not much I can do about it (other than mess around with additional pulley reducers). When you try a different brand it's pot luck whether it will perform how you would like it to.