ABHandmade

WIP. Portrait of a Scottish gentleman

Carving and embossing completed. Dries and waits for further stages of work.

Not everything turned out the way I wanted :(. Some misses will be taken into account next time.

Some details:
Used leather insertion technology (described in "The Art of Embossing Leather" by Al and Ann Stohlman).
The maximum height of the bas-relief is 18 mm (0.7 inches).
Used leather 3-4 oz.

mp_1.jpg

That's pretty good Andrey...earsh sare a bitch, eh? Bet you heard that in his voice :P

28 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

That's pretty good Andrey..

Thank you, Mike.

28 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

.earsh sare a bitch, eh? Bet you heard that in his voice :P

My English is too bad :(
Honestly, it eludes my understanding.

Edited by ABHandmade

Sean Connery has a very distinct accent.  Ah well, never mind!

:lol:

Mike, I would like to hear your opinion regarding my attempt to imitate the structure of the skin. Unfortunately, the reflections in the photo significantly mask this effect.

I hope that after painting it will appear more pronounced.

I heard it @immiketoo.

I'm just glad you didn't choose this pic of Mr. Connery @ABHandmade:

o-SEAN-CONNERY-ZARDOZ-900.jpg?1

I lol everytime I see this one. Sorry to detract from your rather awesome embossing Andrey!

You continue to amaze! your subjects are easily recognized, that's hard to do in relief. I've tried it in wood carving a few times with out success.

You guys are absolutely stunning with these realistic portraits in leather.  My hat is off to you.

YinTx

Oh, no! Not Zardoz! Might as well play “I talk to the trees”

4 hours ago, JD62 said:

You continue to amaze! your subjects are easily recognized, that's hard to do in relief. I've tried it in wood carving a few times with out success.

Thank you! 

I would like to see some of your woodwork. I am always amazed by this kind of art.

38 minutes ago, YinTx said:

You guys are absolutely stunning with these realistic portraits in leather.  My hat is off to you.

YinTx

Thank you, Yin. I will say the same about you. Your work with the imitation of the upholstery which you recently shared is great.

8 hours ago, ABHandmade said:

:lol:

Mike, I would like to hear your opinion regarding my attempt to imitate the structure of the skin. Unfortunately, the reflections in the photo significantly mask this effect.

I hope that after painting it will appear more pronounced.

Andrey, the skin texture is excellent.  Again, your nose and lips are perfect.  Watch out for the eyebrows.  It looks like you made indentations for the hairs as opposed to raising them up.  Its a lot of work to raise them but its worth the effort.  

7 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I heard it @immiketoo.

I'm just glad you didn't choose this pic of Mr. Connery @ABHandmade:

o-SEAN-CONNERY-ZARDOZ-900.jpg?1

I lol everytime I see this one. Sorry to detract from your rather awesome embossing Andrey!

Wow...that I have never seen!

7 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Watch out for the eyebrows.  It looks like you made indentations for the hairs as opposed to raising them up.  Its a lot of work to raise them but its worth the effort.  

Thanks for the advice, Mike! I will certainly take this into account in the next work.

7 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Wow...that I have never seen!

I, too :)

Edited by ABHandmade

Andrey, after comparing the original picture to your piece I realized what was bothering me.  The top of his head is more pointed in the picture.  Yours is more rounded.  A subtle difference, but it stands out to my eye.  Also, the right side(Viewer's left) cheek crease by the nose has a curve that doesn't exist on the original.  But the other side does.  Its almost as if you swapped those lines somehow.  These are the small details I was talking about the other day.  

Pardon the crude markup of this picture, but the lines show what I mean more specifically.

0A006C45-AE8F-4F52-B32C-BA423B0F5EA6.jpeg

I agree. With the "pointed of head" it will be possible to try a little to rectify the situation during coloring. But with the cheeks, it seems, I seriously missed :(.

I wouldn't call it seriously missed, as he is still recognizable an every well done, just refining the details for 100% accuracy :P

15 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

I wouldn't call it seriously missed, as he is still recognizable an every well done, just refining the details for 100% accuracy :P

Well, always want to do better. True, it does not always work :)

23 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

Here is something I do to help if I am struggling with a piece.

351726A3-10F1-4DB8-A284-9F7E271BDA27.MOV

Awesome tool (and your possession of it), Mike!

EDIT: Thank you so much!

Edited by ABHandmade

It’s two apps on my smart phone.  Photo overlay and screen record.  You can easily compare your art to the photo this way.  Actually, you don’t need screen record.  I just did that for you so you could see it.  

Notice how the things that are dead on stay still and those those that are a little off seem to move?  Your eyes and nose are perfect.

10 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

It’s two apps on my smart phone.  Photo overlay and screen record.  You can easily compare your art to the photo this way.  Actually, you don’t need screen record.  I just did that for you so you could see it.  

Notice how the things that are dead on stay still and those those that are a little off seem to move?  Your eyes and nose are perfect.

Mike, your advice is really priceless!
And yes, it seems to me, it's time to change my smartphone :)

Painting on bas-relief is complete. Tomorrow I planning applying the top coating.

I will be very grateful for any comments and criticism, especially if they allow to make improvements.

mp_2.jpg

You have a gift my friend!

11 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

You have a gift my friend!

:)