katit

PFAFF 1245 tensioner issue

Back with the same problem. I don't like thread appearance. Does it look OK or I'm thinking too much? 

In this particular case it's Organ 125/20 LR. Smallest I have. Thread is #92 black from Tandy's. 

I don't like how leather get's cut on a bottom and it's too much of a cut on a top, no? Left piece -4 layers, right piece - 2 layers. On 2 layers knot sometimes on top, sometimes on bottom. No consistency.

IMG_2547.jpg

IMG_2548.jpg

Edited by katit

Now, this gray is different thread. #92 from thread exchange. Seems like it lays better, but holes even bigger? Black thread almost feels "stiff" when I pull it through tensioner it's like "grinding" comparing to gray one.

Do you think it's OK and I should just leave it as is? I want to achieve this "puff" effect. Not sure how it called, like thread jams into the leather with stitches going in more radiused. Or maybe this leather I got too dry? This is automotive leather.

IMG_2549.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

What size needle are you using with the 92 thread

Try a round point needle. It´s no that round point only can sew fabric. Thin leather often works fine with a round point needles. Or try S Point or DI Point needles

See attachment - maybe it helps a bit finding the right needle

SCHMETZ-14215_Leaflet-Schneidspitzen_GB-pdf.pdf

Too late :( I mean too late I placed order yesterday with threadsexchange. Ordered LL and LR needlses in size 120 (this one on pic is 125 LR)

I have 130R - not much difference. I'm blaming thread too, gray and black way too different.

Main thing you guys see a problem too, so it's not normal.

Black always stiffer.   I still think the take up spring needs to be adjusted a little more.  Tension not always just top and bobbin tensions springs.  Take up spring can cause or correct some problems.

glenn

20 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

Black always stiffer.   I still think the take up spring needs to be adjusted a little more.  Tension not always just top and bobbin tensions springs.  Take up spring can cause or correct some problems.

glenn

Glenn,

How do I adjust take up spring? Is that know next to top tension? Should I make it tighter?

Rather than try to explain it, I think UWE or Wiz has a video on how to adjust it.  I would try that first.  Take your finger and see if the take up spring  which is to the left of  the tension adjustment  nut and flick it up a couple of time to see if it hangs up at all.  That is sometimes and indication if the spring is not functioning correctly.

glenn

Glenn,

Not sure if that's what you mean, but when I try to lift that spring up with a finger I feel like there is a notch. Almost like slight "click" at beginning of movement. Does it have to lift up smoothly and if so, what should I do? I don't want to just take it out because there seem to be another adjustment?

OTOH - I got smaller (120/19) needles today and tried some seams. I think they look good. Most right is LR and others LL. Most left is when I got tension dialed in correctly. They look good to me. Bottom awful of course.

What would you use one vs another (LL vs LR)? In my mind (for upholstery) I would use LL for plain seams and maybe use LR for top(visible) seams.

IMG_2557.jpg

I prefer to use round needles on soft leather.  That's just me.  Wiz might have better insight for you on that question.

glenn

Once you get down to a size 18 needle the point isn't so important and can affect the lay of the thread. The way I decide on a point change is if the needle makes an unpleasant noise, or squeaks going into the leather. That tells me that the friction is excessive. I keep three types of point in stock: round, DI (triangle) and slicing (LL or LR). Some points go through with less drag than others. Experiment!

Thanks! Just one more question. I though Size 19 is smallest for 92 thread? Why you said 18?

6 hours ago, katit said:

Thanks! Just one more question. I though Size 19 is smallest for 92 thread? Why you said 18?

I never said anything about the thread size a #18 needle fits. That would be #69 (T70) bonded nylon. I was in fact replying to Shoepatcher's comment.