coma44

A complete Newbie from Western Massachusetts

I am interested in learning leather working, mainly for making holsters belts and maybe cases. I am a gun guy and would love to learn how to make my own custom stuff and maybe if I get good enough maybe sell some items some day.  I know I have a lot to learn and do before I get started.

Welcome aboard! There is a wealth of info here from a lot of fine folks.

Welcome! You'll find lots of answers here to questions already asked but if you don't find a question already answered the group here is great at jumping in to help.

Thanks for the welcomes. I am sure I will have many questions and I hope I don't ware out my welcome.   

I will be lurking and reading everything I can before I actually jump in and start buying tools and leather. 

Any pointers on what I should start with tools and project wise would be greatly appreciated 

First question to answer would be have you decided whether you are planning on hand stitching or machine stitching your items that you plan on making.

kgg

Well, you are starting out with the right attitude for sure. Welcome aboard.

Here is a little thread I put together a few days ago.

You can start off without a lot of tools and hardware. Don't invest a boatload of money in the beginning. See if you like it first.

5 hours ago, kgg said:

First question to answer would be have you decided whether you are planning on hand stitching or machine stitching your items that you plan on making.

kgg

Thinking I would be machine stitching so it will be more conducive to making things a little faster once I learn how. I have started to read the sewing section and have been learning the different brand and model names to look for. Craigs list and ebay would seem a couple of good sources for used machines to start with.   Also I know I need to get a bench and some basic hand tools, along with some layout tools in order to make new patterns.  

I would suggest starting by hand stitching and learning the basics that way, a lot of good leatherwork is about being accurate in all things to give the fine looking finished item. Hand stitching you understand how the leather moves and the skill of making a straight line of equally placed stitches at the right tension. You don't learn to drive by jumping into a racing car so why do similar in leatherwork

After you have learnt the skills of sewing you will also have some idea of what you want to concentrate in making, and the thickness of that choice will determine what sort of sewing machine you need, be it thin or thick leather, flat or cylinder, no machine does all jobs well.

I would suggest you join Nigel Armitage series of lessons at £3.00  per month where he explains on video all the skills you need for leatherworking with new video's most months see https://vimeo.com/ondemand/armitageleather/247495554 

Edited by chrisash

5 hours ago, chrisash said:

I would suggest starting by hand stitching and learning the basics that way, a lot of good leatherwork is about being accurate in all things to give the fine looking finished item. Hand stitching you understand how the leather moves and the skill of making a straight line of equally placed stitches at the right tension. You don't learn to drive by jumping into a racing car so why do similar in leatherwork

After you have learnt the skills of sewing you will also have some idea of what you want to concentrate in making, and the thickness of that choice will determine what sort of sewing machine you need, be it thin or thick leather, flat or cylinder, no machine does all jobs well.

I would suggest you join Nigel Armitage series of lessons at £3.00  per month where he explains on video all the skills you need for leatherworking with new video's most months see https://vimeo.com/ondemand/armitageleather/247495554 

That is how I plan to get my feet wet on the basic skills and learning pattern making. But I do know that I want to make Holsters, Magazine holders and maybe belts and random small cases. Since those items are what drew into this thought process.

Welcome  its nice to see people from Mass joining this forum, good luck have fun hope to see something you made soon. 

Mass guy here too, I got back into it for holsters but then found out I liked making a lot more. Holsters alone can make you some nice side coin and for your own pieces the comfort of choosing every angle, fit and finish of how you get a hold on your steel is unmatched. Definitely try a good deal of hand stitching, I have no disrespect of machines but hand stitching gives you a serious feeling of completion. Just don't be afraid to use a thimble or make a leather palm pad to catch needles and awls on the press through, nothing like getting excited to finish a piece and shoving an awl through your piece and into your hand. Best of luck.

19 hours ago, Samalan said:

Welcome  its nice to see people from Mass joining this forum, good luck have fun hope to see something you made soon. 

Thanks seems to a good place to be so far

10 hours ago, CelticPrint said:

Mass guy here too, I got back into it for holsters but then found out I liked making a lot more. Holsters alone can make you some nice side coin and for your own pieces the comfort of choosing every angle, fit and finish of how you get a hold on your steel is unmatched. Definitely try a good deal of hand stitching, I have no disrespect of machines but hand stitching gives you a serious feeling of completion. Just don't be afraid to use a thimble or make a leather palm pad to catch needles and awls on the press through, nothing like getting excited to finish a piece and shoving an awl through your piece and into your hand. Best of luck.

Thanks, and its good to more gun people in Mass as this State is a complete liberal mess most ways

I can see where the hand stitching would be more exacting and if done correctly nicer looking and custom if needed

And yea I leak enough blood working on my vehicles and such so the leather palm protection might be my first project.