tofu

One specific task: Strap (2 layers of 3oz garment with stiffener between)

Hi everyone,

I read the machine faq and did a fair amount of searching, but I'm still confused about which models to focus on. I want a machine to do a specific task - make straight lock stitches for a bag strap made of two layers of 3oz garment and stiffener (texon) between. 

I'm doing maybe 2-3 straps a week. 

How cheap can I go? The portable sailrite clones seemed like they'd get the job done, but then I read some posts about how horrible they are. I really don't want to spend four digits on a true industrial machine for such a small task. 

I would appreciate if someone could offer specific model #s for me to search for on Craig's. I don't mind vintage, and I'd really prefer a portable unit (no under the table motor) because I live in a tiny NYC studio.

Thanks!

Edited by tofu

I do have experience of owing / using the Reliable Barracuda 200ZW and really had no problems with it but understanding it wasn't a industrial machine. It preformed the tasks I asked however I would recommend that you purchase a heavier flywheel (Monster) kit. If you think the Sailrite portable could do the job then the Baracuda will probably do it as well just easier on the pocket book. As far as budget goes new it would run you about $500 US. If you are looking at attachments like a binder for the machine the two mounting holes in the base will have to be tapped to accept the hold down screws.

kgg

Thanks. I don't mind doing bolt on modifications or repairs within reason. I am just hesitant to buy those series of machines because people seem to really dislike the consew version. Cp206rl? I understand there's a few versions of the machine from rex and techsew also. All basically clones. 

If I can unbox it, throw a new flywheel on, and make consistent reliable stitches for my project, I'm happy. Not looking to expand into veg tan or more layers any time soon. 

It is my understanding that only the Sailrite brand machines have been regularly upgraded as flaws or weaknesses are discovered. They say as much on their website and in videos they produce. This is important if one intends to continue using the machine for an extended period of time. They have beefed up cranks and bearings. While not on par with a full blown industrial dual feeder, they are more than a step above the majority of Chinese clones.

2 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

It is my understanding that only the Sailrite brand machines have been regularly upgraded as flaws or weaknesses are discovered. They say as much on their website and in videos they produce. This is important if one intends to continue using the machine for an extended period of time. They have beefed up cranks and bearings and cast their own bodies in the shop, or at a nearby foundry. While not on par with a full blown industrial dual feeder, they are more than a step above the majority of Chinese clones.

I am waiting for them to unbox it, but tandy has a new leather stitcher and it's made by sailrite...no info yet other than cost and it comes assembly required...lol

I made the mistake of buying an off brand portable walking foot machine couple years ago from an eBay seller. The box was dropped on the handwheel end during shipping. When I unpacked it, the machine was seized. I tried to free it up for one day, then mailed it back and got a refund. The crank shafts were made of soft metal that had bent from the rear impact. The casing was crude and had jagged edges when I opened the top cover to check the damage.

I have used (abused) the new machine at Tandy. I liked it. It ran very smoothly and was quieter than most of the older machines I have used in the past.

The pedal is a lovely large treadle plate, and it goes very easily, slow to peddle to the metal. 

It comes with a piece of what looks like latigo belt blank with great big stitches all the way around and down the middle. So, I immediately threw a piece of six ounce in front of the foot and sewed about an inch on it. I had made the stitches fairly tiny with the stitch length bar... probably just above the middle.

probably 12-13 ounce.

Sewed just fine. Then I put another 6 ounce piece in front of the foot. Sewed for about an inch. I had run out of latigo by this time and so I put another 6 ounce piece in front of the foot and sewed another inch. 

So probably 18 ounces total. 

No problem. 

Then I thought I would see how it back stitched... Jim got mad.

Okay, so what happened was the tension on the rubber gear belt attached to the machine got high enough to pull the little gear pulley in the middle between the two rubber belts that attach the machine to the motor up, making the belt on the machine too loose and making a.. bad and upsetting noise. 

Jim loosened the pulley bolt, reset the belts and it runs beautifully again. 

So, lesson learned, only two layers on the stitch master and don’t go above 12 ounce total.

Didn’t even bend the needle. 

‘I think it’s lovely, and I’m gonna get one for my birthday!

Edited by ScoobyNewbie

oop's sailrite sod this speelchecker

15 hours ago, koreric75 said:

I am waiting for them to unbox it, but tandy has a new leather stitcher and it's made by sailrite...no info yet other than cost and it comes assembly required...lol

I have the Fabricator from Sailrite. Great instructions on putting it together. The foot doesn't raise all that high for thick leather, but sews very well. I've used it on veg-tan leather but I sew slow on it. A very quiet machine and built well. 

On the surface the Tandy machine made by Sailrite seems to be a version of the LS-1 put in a small table with a Sailrite servo motor. The price would deter me. In Ontario for about the same dollars you can buy a industrial Juki 1541S c/w full size table and servo motor.  Am I missing something?

kgg

If I was in the market for a portable walking foot machine, I would not hesitate to buy a Sailrite. The price may be higher than the Asian clones, but the quality offsets the difference.

Sailrite has optional knurled feet and feed dogs for sewing veg-tan leather. The feed is not as efficient as a triple feed machine, but is better than just bottom feed. Best of all, if you overstress one of their machines, Sailrite will sell you replacement parts, many of which will be beefier than the originals from a decade ago and more.

The Ultrafeed machines were discussed at great length about a decade ago on this forum. Use our site search for Sailrite and read through the results. Or, use Google search with the phrase: site: leatherworker.net sailrite ultrafeed - where you will find fascinating discussions like this topic about modding a Sailrite.

Sailrite also has great videos on YouTube and their own site!

38 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

If I was in the market for a portable walking foot machine, I would not hesitate to buy a Sailrite. The price may be higher than the Asian clones, but the quality offsets the difference.

Sailrite has optional knurled feet and feed dogs for sewing veg-tan leather. The feed is not as efficient as a triple feed machine, but is better than just bottom feed. Best of all, if you overstress one of their machines, Sailrite will sell you replacement parts, many of which will be beefier than the originals from a decade ago and more.

The Ultrafeed machines were discussed at great length about a decade ago on this forum. Use our site search for Sailrite and read through the results. Or, use Google search with the phrase: site: leatherworker.net sailrite ultrafeed - where you will find fascinating discussions like this topic about modding a Sailrite.

Thank you. Home Depot carries the barracuda and a 90 day no questions return policy, but I may just spring for a used sailrite. I wasn't aware there were major differences in the internals between clones. Cheers

On 1/18/2019 at 12:33 PM, tofu said:

Hi everyone,

I read the machine faq and did a fair amount of searching, but I'm still confused about which models to focus on. I want a machine to do a specific task - make straight lock stitches for a bag strap made of two layers of 3oz garment and stiffener (texon) between. 

I'm doing maybe 2-3 straps a week. 

How cheap can I go? The portable sailrite clones seemed like they'd get the job done, but then I read some posts about how horrible they are. I really don't want to spend four digits on a true industrial machine for such a small task. 

I would appreciate if someone could offer specific model #s for me to search for on Craig's. I don't mind vintage, and I'd really prefer a portable unit (no under the table motor) because I live in a tiny NYC studio.

Thanks!

So there are literally hundreds of different options and opinions given your criteria, It sounds like space is the primary constraint due to the apartment, followed very closely by price, and then finally the specific application.  From my perspective and given your criteria, i'd look for a singer 15-91, only because this would be the machine in my stable i'd use for this.  Mine came in a cabinet, but you can find them with the portable case and cover, but if this meets your needs, most newer quality 15 class machines would do the trick.  Assumptions here are that you don't mind sewing at normal speeds ( don't require a servo/speed reducer etc) and you'll be sewing in straight lines, and thread size is not a major factor.  I use #92 thread in my singer with an 18/110 leather point needle and sew wallet pockets and straps etc with garment leather, and sew zippers to 4/5oz vegtan for lighter applications.

The issue here is, i got a lucky break with this singer, the potted motor and internals are all in great condition, and have been serviced regularly.  If you're not up for rolling the dice, go to your local sew shop and see if they will present you some options.  We have one local here, and they've always been great, knowledgeable and helpful.  Consider this if you require support on a machine if it acts up, breaks down etc... 

3 hours ago, koreric75 said:

singer 15-91, 

Thanks! Not too many good ones on Craig's at the moment.

I went to bed last night considering just making a small custom table so I can use one of those external motor machines like a 31-15. My portable would be left out permanently on a table anyway. My main issue was having to fit one of those large tables that come with the external motor units. They seem to be about 5ft long?

Maybe folding flaps on the end to expand the table when in use? 

No used sailrites in my area anyway :( I think the cheapest is $675 for a used red one, but that's also a 3hr drive. Wouldn't pay that much even if it were next door, though. 

2 hours ago, tofu said:

Thanks! Not too many good ones on Craig's at the moment.

I went to bed last night considering just making a small custom table so I can use one of those external motor machines like a 31-15. My portable would be left out permanently on a table anyway. My main issue was having to fit one of those large tables that come with the external motor units. They seem to be about 5ft long?

I acquired a post machine in October that had to fit where a long arm patcher on a cast iron base had been. Bob Kovar (Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines) made me a custom fit table on steel legs that was just the right length to fit between the other two machines along that wall. The table top was professionally rounded with fresh protective banding. The servo motor, reducer, thread stand and bobbin winder were stock. He installed a floor pedal for the presser foot lifter. In all, it's a compact setup that is fully industrial, but in a very limited space. He could probably modify a standard 31-15 table to fit your room and fit it with a Family Sew servo motor.

Well, a few weeks later, I have an update.

I purchased the reliable barracuda from bed bath beyond because of their generous return policy. I am considering making use of that policy. 

The good:

The machine works -- it gets through anything I put under the foot. I've tried scrap veg tan straps of 6-7oz and it gets through it no problem. No skipped stitches, no problem. I do have a knockoff monster wheel installed ($79 on eBay).

The bad:

1) Took me 3 hours to set it up. This is my first "real" sewing machine, so I had to start research from scratch. The timing was off, needle position was too far out, motor bracket was too slack and needed to be adjusted so the belt won't slip.

2) Pedal control is weird. Sometimes even if the needle is in the air, the motor won't engage unless I manually spin the crank a bit. It seems it requires me to change the position. No buzz, no sound, just feels dead until I move it manually. 

3)Speed is also odd. I can't linearly ramp up the "throttle". I need to lay on it heavy then slow down otherwise it won't move. If I let it "buzz" too long at low throttle, it brings me back to issue #2 where the motor is just dead until I move the crank manually. 

4) I'm getting a lot of bobbin tangle, which doesn't affect my stitches. At the end of my sewing session, when it is time to pull the material away after lifting the foot, there are two or four threads going into the bobbin area which seem caught around the hook assembly or something. Doesn't affect my product, but it's annoying and scary wondering if you just screwed up 55" of leather that you just spend the past two hours cutting, gluing, and creasing

Conclusion: After spending about $500 after taxes, I am thinking of returning it all. I have an eBay claim opened on the crank because it is out of balance and the handle part isn't threaded, so I won't take any loss on that. And the barracuda is still within return period. 

In retrospect I can probably find a consew 206rb for around $500 and just top mount the servo motor (didn't know I could do that). 

Lesson learned.