Treesner

Cutting table features

Hey guys I’m building a cutting table 36x60 cutting mate. Curious what features you think I should build into it based on your experience. 

I’m thinking these little hooks on the front for a large ruler 

1790FA3B-85F0-4F1A-A5B5-820131520C95.thumb.jpeg.8d6f46be8b181c107f36418f8c1ba2ad.jpeg

then maybe a side ressesed tray to the left where smaller rollers can stay. 

Also to the side thinking a magnet strip where the knives and scissors can be stuck to. It’s oretty deep so having it on the back might be a reach but might be nice to have a shelf above the working area for dyes and glue as I heard the cutting mates are a good surface to work with those.

i think some kind of fabric bag or draped leather to the side a few inches below would be handy to just push or seeep the scraps off, kind of like a trash can but really wide so stuff doesn’t go all over the floor 

Edited by Treesner

Curious if anyone has put a lip on the Edge of the table so after you cut a straight edge you can just put the leather against that edge and use a t square to cut 90 quickly. Kind of like a drafting table 

I am planning a new work surface when I can get rid of some other items that are 'surplus to requirements'. I am planning to make it a cutting table, but it will be a flat table so that I can pull it away from the wall, and walk right around it if I feel the need.

I really like your bench, as pictured, but I see that as more of a stamping, dyeing, cutting small shapes and general purpose bench.

I have had the need to cut largish hides from both sides, rather than making one edge cut then turning the hide over or cutting from the other end ... if that makes sense.

I did that thing with the long ruler on the front of the table. Eventually had to put some "stop" bits off the ends of the ruler. As I worked, apparently I slid along the front edge of the table and moved the ruler out of the clips. Metal ruler, lot of noise, scared the heck out of the dog. Okay, it startled me a bit too.

Jeff

IMG_3715.jpg

IMG_3716.jpg

I really admire the work bench in the photo. With that Im agreeing bigtime, as Rockoboy described. So possibly consider a separate cut table you will really appreciate more I think, and with out items or clutter ontop. Obviously it has to be useable in your area, always a key point with all of us. 

Again thats a great work area ya have, and a rough out area is I think your best investment from, what im seeing or knowing, 

Hey its Friday, have a good day

Floyd

On 1/29/2019 at 2:16 AM, Treesner said:

Curious if anyone has put a lip on the Edge of the table so after you cut a straight edge you can just put the leather against that edge and use a t square to cut 90 quickly. Kind of like a drafting table 

Like that Idea . My plan is to build a work bench with a straight edge and hold down in one around 6 feet long . the idea is to make a special cut tool to run on the straight edge making that first cut on a back or side fast and perfectly  straight. then the whole hold down straight edge can drop down out of the way. right angle cut lip sounds like something i will add also.  

2 hours ago, Samalan said:

My plan is to build a work bench with a straight edge and hold down in one around 6 feet long

There was a post with this exact fixture at @Springfield Leather Company if my memory serves me correctly.

Several people indicated they would be interested if it was available for purchase, and I think it was @RockyAussie who was planning to look at making something like a straight line cutter.

8 minutes ago, Rockoboy said:

I think it was @RockyAussie who was planning to look at making something like a straight line cutter.

I think this is the link.

H

7 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

I am planning a new work surface when I can get rid of some other items that are 'surplus to requirements'. I am planning to make it a cutting table, but it will be a flat table so that I can pull it away from the wall, and walk right around it if I feel the need.

I really like your bench, as pictured, but I see that as more of a stamping, dyeing, cutting small shapes and general purpose bench.

I have had the need to cut largish hides from both sides, rather than making one edge cut then turning the hide over or cutting from the other end ... if that makes sense.

oh thats not my bench just reference to the ruler holder. the cutting table I'm making is much deeper for bigger pieces. just hard for me to post my iPhone photos on here because they're always to large !

7 hours ago, alpha2 said:

I did that thing with the long ruler on the front of the table. Eventually had to put some "stop" bits off the ends of the ruler. As I worked, apparently I slid along the front edge of the table and moved the ruler out of the clips. Metal ruler, lot of noise, scared the heck out of the dog. Okay, it startled me a bit too.

Jeff

IMG_3715.jpg

IMG_3716.jpg

thanks yeah was wondering if it would get in the way / pressing into it while working. seems nicer than having it laying on the bench tho because its so big. guess could cut the cutting mat a little shorter on the front and have a recessed part for the ruler to stay 

3 hours ago, Samalan said:

Like that Idea . My plan is to build a work bench with a straight edge and hold down in one around 6 feet long . the idea is to make a special cut tool to run on the straight edge making that first cut on a back or side fast and perfectly  straight. then the whole hold down straight edge can drop down out of the way. right angle cut lip sounds like something i will add also.  

yeah I just wonder if it will get in the way when doing normal cuts because it would be proud of the cutting mat and that means the ruler would be hitting it when the ruler is coming off the edge of the bench. maybe it slides up or its sort of like woodworking tables where they have the bench dog holes and you just push up the dowels when you're using them to have something for the wood to go against 

these are the fancy ones that actually pop up not just normal wood ones that move up 

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=70156

50 minutes ago, hwinbermuda said:

I think this is the link.

H

thank you I was going to look for that link remember seeing that. thats a cool feature. I think I would also like a perpendicular version of that after the one edge is cut straight 

Thanks for sharing ....great idea!