tardis86

singer 211g156

There's one of these machines for sale in my area that I can get for $350 table and all. It was someone's grandfather's that passed away, and it sat in storage for a number of years. They believe it still works. 

Is that a good price? It seems to be.

That should be able to do just about anything I throw at it. Am I correct?

Of course I just bought the 15-91 last weekend, then this pops up, so my wife is giving me a hard time about it. 

Please lmk your thoughts. Thanks

Ya

sorry, not sure what you can give her as a peace prize “ after” you bring it home. 

Dont forget the for sale sign on the other, ? 

Well because your upgrading. Just as they talk about. 

Good luck there 

Floyd

ps: about anything with 138 thread max, and about 1/4 inch give or take a bit

Edited by brmax

so is $350 a good price? they claim it powers on but the belt needs reseated. idk enough about machines to even attempt to mess with it on site.

The price is in the ballpark,maybe you can get it for less? It will probably have a clutchmotor on it that you'll need to change to a servo so you can control the speed.This machine will sew to around 5/16" or 20 oz of leather & use up to #138 thread.

In your post is what is most important. Like each of us If ( it seems to be ) an ok or good price to ourselves it is worth serious looking. 

Im sure it has a clutch motor, as nearly all will. Hell even brand new machines will. There for factory pro sewers ( period ), this is a servo replacement cost to expect!

Their not giving it away, but photos could help. Through the weekend is some good study time in that models abilities. Im pretty darn sure it has a small (g) bobbin and its dam tough arguing this is not enough. Lets be clear its not going to take everything! you throw at it. 

Good luck with your decision

Floyd

1 hour ago, tardis86 said:

Here is the link https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1250211525131906/

Thickest things I'd be stitching would be belt and holsters. I'd think it would do those then.

tt would sew pocket holsters. That is an upholstery grade sewing machine, good for no more than #138 bonded thread.

1 hour ago, Wizcrafts said:

tt would sew pocket holsters. That is an upholstery grade sewing machine, good for no more than #138 bonded thread.

It's still a walking foot though, right?

2 hours ago, tardis86 said:

It's still a walking foot though, right?

Yes, for upholstery.

Looks like a barn / garage find - its dirty and untested. I´d say not a too bad price but do not expect too much from the seller - wondering why he is not cleaning it before he is selling it (at least whipping off the dust with a rag) I would! If the seller is not able to set it up for sewing it is a gamble. Look for a manual print it and take it with you and test sew the machine.  Ask the seller for more pictures (incl. motor, motor data plate, backside and accessories). Bobbin is small (I´d rather say standard) size but millions of people are using this size of bobbin (incl. me) and that's not an issue at all. Bigger is better but you get what you pay for.

Its dirty - yes - but when I you "think away" the dust - then it looks not too bad. People here have restored way (way way way) filthier / badly rusted machines.

Expect to invest another $200 incl. a new servo motor or $300 if you want a speed reducer (I bet you want it) but then you have a machine that will serve you many decades. Parts & accessories are no problem.

Maybe you can get is for $300...

JFTC you go and check it - here are some related files:

Singer 211 Operators Guide-Small.pdf

Edited by Constabulary

Table and legs don't look too bad. At the very least you want to turn it over by hand and make sure the needle/feet/feed dog all move properly, without any binding/scraping noises. As for the motor, even if it works I would consider it a liability (unless you're experienced you won't be able to control it!).

She said she would take $300 for it. I can probably go look at it on Monday. I don't mind stitching holsters by hand, but if it would do belts, that would be great.

I'm also restoring an 84 mustang, so an upholstery machine wouldn't be a terrible thing to own.

You would be making a good choice.  Respectfully they do want it gone, its not a utility to them.  I missed 2 of these is sales, I sure wished early on I had pushed myself further to get there or bid. 

We can all try but without big resources and logistics we cannot buy a factory floor full of these or newer models for pennys on the dollar, then try and re sell. It just doesn't happen, so this is a durable, class act machine. 

Good day

Floyd

Edited by brmax

I read some comments about this particular machine and the one that stood out was from Bob Kovar, years ago. He pointed out that the flywheel pulley is quite narrow compared to a model 111 and was made that way for higher speeds when sewing long seat covers, banners and the like. Unless you have driven a clutch car recently, you may not be able to feather it to a controllable speed. It will sew flat out at 2000 rpm or more, depending on the size of the motor pulley. Changes will need to be made.

Slowing down old beasts involves changing to a modern servo motor and probably adding a 2:1 or 3:1 speed reducer (plus 2 new v-belts). These will cost you at least $300.

Hello, if I can tell you my own experience, I have a singer 211G151 wich is near the 156 exept it has not a walking foot and no reverse.

I have this machine for 12 years, it was a used one, but it was a good machine for that I wanted to do with.

I didn't know the sevomotor when it was necessary to change the motor and I put a new clutch motor on it.

It works well for me even if I regret the servomotor.

I use this machine for small thicknesses and the biggest needle that I use on it is 160.

The maximum thickness of leather that I sew with it is 3mm.

Here is a picture of my machine, I had a roller presser foot at this time on it.IMG_20180720_104519.thumb.jpg.538dd86f3a3f49192aff96e9d871fad8.jpg

yeah as badly as id like a sewing machine for leather, i dont want this to be a money pit... hmm

I have seen some really sharp people on here, many have replaced the handwheel pulley with a locally obtained larger size. 

This is your reducer. If carefully choosing a nice rounded edge on these can be a benifit. 

The motor on there now can have an extension bolted to the present lever ( just below motor in photo).

These are proven, excellent methods many  viewable here on the site Somewhere, to slow these down better for leather. 

Im having difficulty now using google to do searchs here, as it was a great method. I may need to re-up for search schooling :lol::lol::wave:

Floyd

im getting mixed responses from the group it seems. half say go for it, the other half say, probably not.... decisions....

A difficult decision. As long as it's working then it could be an interesting restoration/cleanup job for only $300. You can buy a cheaper servo to replace the motor, you don't have to necessarily buy the best. If you don't want to start accumulating machines (;)) and only want to get maybe one more then it would be better to pass and work out exactly what you want and look for that.

I understand some of that, let me put somethin in the mix. Its totaly up to you though, I am not sure what you use in hand sewing. But in the machine side, a standard around here is thread size for holsters needs to be a certain size. This is also reference in a “security size” for these, a thread strength. This particular size is typically I think in the 277 and 346 sizes. There is several “ sticky” post above in this forums area specifically discussing leather machines in detail what you need!

So with that thread ability you would need a big Juki 441 or clone,  or the big Adler or its clone machines with these thread capabilities. 

With these bigdogs out! all others stay on the porch. That's funny I don't care what anybody says.

All that aside this machine in photo is a serious money maker for ya, and in no way will the 15-91 compare in this ones duty. In my opinion, as always opinions are like shoes everybody has some. 

Later, and have a good day

Floyd

Edited by brmax

Ok, I missed the bit about the 15-91. No comparison, of course, this one is a proper industrial machine. The service manual is readily available, as are spare feet. As long as you don't want to sew holsters (!) this should  be a useful machine - assuming it works ok then $300 is a great price imo. A lot of that rust will probably rub of with a bit of care.

Not all sewing machines lend themselves to pulley upgrades on the output shaft. Some models have the stitch length adjustment built into the handwheel. These cannot be replaced with a bigger wheel.

Agree with the hand wheel the 211 is not a candidate for a larger hand wheel. However - you do not find many walking foot sewing machines of this class for just $300. Even when you have to invest in a new servo motor and a speed reducer (you can also DIY a speed reducer) its still worth the money.

If you do car upholstery and sew belts, guitar straps, wallets and stuff that is not thicker than approx 8-9mm with thread no thicker tan 138 then this is a good machine when properly set up.

I have the 111G156 predecessor of the 212G156 and 212G141 2 needle / needle feed version of "your" machine. I cannot complain.

But the decision is finally yours. ;)