DavidMillsSaddlery

Sole stitcher that’ll do double row stitching!

I’m looking for a sole stitcher for making boots, and want to know which ones are capable of doing the popular double stitch? Is there a special attachment one needs to do this?

thanks! 

I suggest you check with Robin Industries. They make machines for the shoe industry. I have dealt with them in the past and was very happy with their customer service. 

http://www.robinindustry.com/index.html

9 hours ago, Hockeymender said:

I suggest you check with Robin Industries. They make machines for the shoe industry. I have dealt with them in the past and was very happy with their customer service. 

http://www.robinindustry.com/index.html

I’m hoping to be able to use an old K model! Or maybe a champion! I like old iron...

4 hours ago, turbotexas said:

I’m hoping to be able to use an old K model! Or maybe a champion! I like old iron...

Nope. That would require two needles, two awls and two bobbins. The Landis and Champion sole stitchers have one of each. They sew around the outside perimeter of the sole, upside down, just missing the uppers. There is no room for two rows of thread in that very narrow space.

OTOH, I have seen two and three rows of stitching on the uppers (e.g., Redwing boots). Is that what you are looking to do? Puritan Industries makes multiple needle and awl chainstitch machines that do that.

No, the kids are wearing boots, that have two rows of stitching on the welt, and I’ve read that Puritan makes an attachment... 

2 hours ago, turbotexas said:

No, the kids are wearing boots, that have two rows of stitching on the welt, and I’ve read that Puritan makes an attachment... 

That makes sense for the insole/welt. Puritan only produces machines to order now. They can't sew the outsole on a boot with two needles because they have straight needles and awls. There would only be room for one row of stitching on the outsole. There is a lot of danger of hitting the upper with a straight needle. I have resewn soles on my Cowboy CB4500, with the inline foot set, and you have to pull the upper leather away from the machine as you sew to avoid scratching it with the feet or needle.

This (outsole stitching) is really the domain of curved needle machines (single row only)! Most bootmakers and shoe repair shops have a Landis 12F or 12G curved needle and awl lockstitch machine. Others use a Frobana/Gritzner, or Junker and Ruh hand-cranked curved needle only machine.

This is what I’m looking for

8D5E04FA-E25E-4D98-9C0E-B32ABC8AAA2A.jpeg

Are you sure that's been done with a twin needle machine? The two rows of holes don't line up that well.

My family has been in shoe repair for over 40 years and I have never seen a double needle outsoler. You typical outsoler does have a guide on it so you can adjust where the stitch is going to hit the welt. They most likely have a guard set at different depths and stitch it twice. If you look at the bottom right side of the pic the stitches are closer together. That wouldn't happen on a double needle.

Ariat is one of the boot companies to make this double row popular over the past few years. But I can't find if they just double stitch it or not.

That boot was not done on a double stitch machine, in third world countries they make em go around twice 

The distance between each stitch line visibly varies in that photo. Looks like it's a "do it twice" job to me too.

On 4/16/2019 at 6:38 AM, arashikage said:

My family has been in shoe repair for over 40 years and I have never seen a double needle outsoler. You typical outsoler does have a guide on it so you can adjust where the stitch is going to hit the welt. They most likely have a guard set at different depths and stitch it twice. If you look at the bottom right side of the pic the stitches are closer together. That wouldn't happen on a double needle.

Ariat is one of the boot companies to make this double row popular over the past few years. But I can't find if they just double stitch it or not.

That’s what I was looking for… The standard old-school stitcher can do it then! Will just need to adjust the guide!That’s what I was looking for… The standard old-school stitcher can do it then! Will just need to adjust the guide!

That’s what I was looking for

But it was obvious from the first photos that you posted that it wasn't done with a double needle stitcher ( twin needle stitchers do not stitch lines that converge ) unless they are really badly broken..

As I used to say to art students when teaching Art* ( in as much as one can teach art ) at University many decades ago..there is "looking" and there is "seeing"..
Quit "looking" ..learn to "see" what is in front of you.."looking" is easy.."seeing" sometimes takes more effort..

Same applies to Hearing, Feeling etc etc ..

*Yes..some of them used to say "it" ( art ) with an audible capitol A..

Edited by mikesc

"capitol A.." You missed that one, Mike. ;)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself as you are usually very meticulous when it comes to posting.

I wasn't sure to be sure*, the words "capitol" and capital" exist in both French and English, and sometimes the "O" is used in French where the "A" would be used in English, and vice versa..My speelchucker underlines every single word I type ..French system and keyboard, ( Linux ) set for French and British English..depending upon the software I'm using some words do not get underlined, when they should, and others do, when they should not...When it is late ( like now ) and the machine and the software ( FF 51 ) start "second guessing me" , sometimes I "correct" and then "re-correct", and then re-re-correct" and then think..Ahhh Crap..I can't remember ( I don't get to use much English these days ) and go back to watching TV and youtube and French news , and a movie..nope... actually it is GOT se8 03 in English..Wow is it ever dark in there !! ) simultaneously on the TV and my 5 other monitors ( here not counting the TV )..Some typos slide by and then slide by again, sometimes I have to edit a post 5 or 6 times..and there'll still be typos, that I won't notice..

Life is too short ;)

Anyway, what are you doing posting from the beach ? ..hybrid sheep sharks with frikkin lasers patrolling the shore so you can't go dip your toesies or what ?

Enjoy your holiday..( raises glass ..actually poured a leapfrog just to raise it to you there ) ..now relax..If you are watching for my typos, you'll pass up your entire holiday there'll be so many :)

Cheers :)

*the Irish reason.. ;)

ps..Apparently..I can still edit it to read capital A..but that would be cheating..mind that seagull!! ..Do you have seagulls in OZ ?..Ah no...Silly question, belay that..you do , I remember in
"Finding Nemo" the rats with wings had OZ accents..

But..do they have pouches? are they dangerous, are they poisonous, like most of the other fauna..?
Yes..I know..the stereotypes..Hangs head in shame..;)
Would love to visit one day( My Dad did , but to watch Nukes go bang in the desert ..many years ago, Big C got him at 58 years old as a result ) , but distaff side of the family is very leary about what she reads hears about the Arachnida ( Arachnia / Arachnoids ? ) etc ..

Edited by mikesc

4 hours ago, mikesc said:

But it was obvious from the first photos that you posted that it wasn't done with a double needle stitcher ( twin needle stitchers do not stitch lines that converge ) unless they are really badly broken..

As I used to say to art students when teaching Art* ( in as much as one can teach art ) at University many decades ago..there is "looking" and there is "seeing"..
Quit "looking" ..learn to "see" what is in front of you.."looking" is easy.."seeing" sometimes takes more effort..

Same applies to Hearing, Feeling etc etc ..

*Yes..some of them used to say "it" ( art ) with an audible capitol A..

I don’t recall asking about a double needle stitcher… I wanted to know if there was an attachment on the old Landis stitcher…I See now that there’s no attachment per se, but an adjustment they can be made to do the second row

Sorry, tt, but that's exactly what you asked in the first post. And as a result we now know that there's no such beastie.

Mike, I'm well aware of your ongoing battle with spell-checkers, I was just rattling your cage.:lol:

We may not have any alpha predators on land here but we do have some very nasty spiders and snakes (and drop bears)!

11 hours ago, dikman said:

Sorry, tt, but that's exactly what you asked in the first post. And as a result we now know that there's no such beastie.

Mike, I'm well aware of your ongoing battle with spell-checkers, I was just rattling your cage.:lol:

We may not have any alpha predators on land here but we do have some very nasty spiders and snakes (and drop bears)!

Again, I asked about “attachments”, and stated I was looking for a sole stitcher...

never mentioned I was looking for a double needle stitcher...

^^^ We have an expression ( "saying"in English, "dicton" in French ) in France, "posez cette pelle" ..translates as "put down this shovel" ..and quit digging..
Your OP was.. it is still "up there"..First sentence was..

I’m looking for a sole stitcher for making boots, and want to know which ones are capable of doing the popular double stitch?

All machines that do the "popular" double stitch, are twin needle machines.. We all have shoes/ boots that have twin "parallel" ( note that word "parallel", means the stitches neither "diverge" , nor do they get "closer"..your example photo, shows them getting closer..you were not "seeing", happens to all of us.. , but please ..Put the shovel down..: )
There are in fact twin needle "attachments" ( what you asked about in your second sentence ) that can be used to make "parallel" ( note that word again ) lines,...But..Your photo .. Supplied by you..as the example of "what you wanted to achieve" ..did not show "parallel" lines of stitching, they got closer together as they approached the instep and the heel area..

Accept that you "goofed", ( happens to all of us ) ,"looked" but did not "see"..and "move on"..

Put the pelle down..STP :)

Edited by mikesc

How does an “ATTACHMENT” add a needle and bobbin? Smh

On 4/16/2019 at 6:38 AM, arashikage said:

Thanks for the only help recurved on this topic... 

Thanks for the only help recurved on this topic...

What is recurved ?
dictionary says ..

bent or curved backwards.

..relevancy ?

Your original post..( up there ^^^which you appear to have forgotten had two sentences..
1st sentence was

I’m looking for a sole stitcher for making boots, and want to know which ones are capable of doing the popular double stitch?

Had you looked more closely at the photos that you supplied yourself ( and that we all saw ) and had you "seen" what we all did ( that the stitches were obviously not made at the same time, by any machine, because they were not parallel, as some of us said, including arashikage ( whom you just quoted ) ) you'd not have asked "which ones are capable of doing the popular double stitch?" ..you'd have realised ( as we all did, and we all said to you ) that your photos did not show "a double stitch", but they actually, obviously, showed two rows of stitching, done one after the other, because they converged..What on earth makes you think that any "attachment" is required to stitch two rows of stitching if they are done one after the other..

Even your thread title..that you posted..

Sole stitcher that’ll do double row stitching!

By turbotexas, April 14 in Leather Sewing Machines

was perfectly clear that you were looking for a Sole stitcher that’ll do double row stitching!

Or maybe you just don't want to accept that you goofed..everyone does at some time..But your insistence that everyone else is wrong.. and that you did not post originally thinking that it was some kind of "special machine" ( machines do indeed exist that do two parallel lines of stitching, just not to attach soles , they have two needles, and they make parallel lines, not converging ones, like in your photo ), or that you could get a twin needle "attachment" to do that in "one pass"..like on a domestic machine..is making you look foolish.

Twin needle machines are used on shoe or boot "uppers", for decorative effects ( amongst other things ) but not to attach soles..

Edited by mikesc

I think that this topic has come to a natural conclusion. I am locking it up to avoid any further deterioration.