Erfan

Just bought a second hand sewing machine...

Hi All. 

This is my first post here - I've been lurking these forums for a while now but decided to create an account and start posting! 

I've been looking at leather sewing machines over the past few weeks, I found a few old industrial machines (singer and pfaff) along with some domestic machines (singer 201's). After a lot of research I decided I would splurge out and buy a cylinder arm walking foot for about $2500 AUD, I was about to make a payment but then I found a Typical GC0617D for $450 AUD - with table and in great condition (hardly used) so bought it, brought it home and have it all set up. I'm quite happy with the price, especially given the almost new condition the machine is in, from my research online I found it is a compound walking foot that can take thread sizes up to #138/M20, although I did test it out with M15 and it seemed to handle that Ok it is an auto oil system, but don't know much about the brand... 

My questions are - does anyone know much about the brand and this type of sewing machine? There isn't much information online and I'm guessing it's a clone of another model? Also, this machine is meant to be an industrial machine, however all the industrial machines I saw online had a large motor beneath the table whereas this one has a motor attached to the actual sewing machine... Would this be an issue for sewing leather? Can industrial sewing machines have this type of motor? I'm mainly looking at sewing leather satchels, wallets, card holders and maybe watch straps and belts, would this machine be able to handle all that fine? I've already tested it with a few different types of leather and it has handled everything fine (including a bridle belt and 3x layers of 2mm thick veg tan) but don't want to kill it by pushing it beyond its capabilities. 

Final question - where would I find a roller guide for a machine like this? The backside seems to have holes for a bracket to fit, however they are used up by the LED light bracket currently. 

Thank you all - would be great to hear back regarding this machine, I'm currently hand stitching all my work but would like to use this machine once I learn a bit more about it and become a little more competent with machine sewing. 

617d-3.gif

6736.600.png

6737.600.png

Considering that these people

http://www.camsew.com.au/typical_heavy/typical_gc0617d.html

Have it at $1,700.00 + GST...
I'd say, if it works and the motor is good ..you got very lucky :)

Nice long 8mm stitch length too..and HoHsing ( very good brand ) motor built in ..says 15mm foot lift..it wont stitch through 15mm, but will probably do 9 or 10 mm..Lot of newer machines have the motors built on the end nowadays..Typical sell well in the UK , seem to have a good reputation for budget machines, ( type.. typical sewing uk ) into a search engine and you'll get more info..the company site in China says hand lift 7mm..that might mean that 6mm is all it could run without tweaking to keep the tension on ..but I'd guess nearer 9 mm total..Thread is probably going to max out at 138 bottom and top, with maybe 207 on top and 138 bottom occasionally..

As you'd say ( dikman or Brian will correct me if I'm wrong ) ..Good on ya :)

Edited by mikesc

Thanks mate - I'm definitely very happy with the machine (especially as I was looking at older vintage machines that would probably need a fair bit of work for more...). I've attached pics of my machine - I've tested it out a bit a seems to be working well, just need to get my head around thread tensions for a nice even stitch. 

Also looking at roller guides on eBay, seems like they may fit... 

IMG_2663.JPG

IMG_E2662.JPG

That is one very nice pick up. Just watch the auto oiling system delivers a good amount of oil around. Because you will probably be sewing slowly to start with the oil may not feed enough and it may be wise to lift the foot and let it run fast for a minute before you start each day. Saying that... if you get a manual you should see in it how to increase the oil flow. As @mikesc said ... Good on ya :)

32 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

That is one very nice pick up. Just watch the auto oiling system delivers a good amount of oil around. Because you will probably be sewing slowly to start with the oil may not feed enough and it may be wise to lift the foot and let it run fast for a minute before you start each day. Saying that... if you get a manual you should see in it how to increase the oil flow. As @mikesc said ... Good on ya :)

Thanks for that! The machine has a knee pad for lifting the feet, do I just lift it like that and run it at high speed? Do I need to oil any parts manually or is it fully automatic with the oiling?

13 minutes ago, Erfan said:

Thanks for that! The machine has a knee pad for lifting the feet, do I just lift it like that and run it at high speed? Do I need to oil any parts manually or is it fully automatic with the oiling?

I don't know this machine but if it does not have a hand lift then it is important to lift the feet to stop the dog foot from scraping the feet and making a mess on you leather. Most auto oilers are for fast speed operations as far as I know.

Bewdy cobber! (That's for Mike ;)). Where on earth did you steal that from at that price?!!! Should be a nice machine for upholstery weight stuff. If you're going to use it at slow speeds, and the auto oiler won't function, it may be possible to manually oil the needed parts like we do with the older machines. If it's run at slow speeds the wear will be much reduced so it should be feasible.

45 minutes ago, dikman said:

Bewdy cobber! (That's for Mike ;)). Where on earth did you steal that from at that price?!!! Should be a nice machine for upholstery weight stuff. If you're going to use it at slow speeds, and the auto oiler won't function, it may be possible to manually oil the needed parts like we do with the older machines. If it's run at slow speeds the wear will be much reduced so it should be feasible.

Thanks mate, was a lucky Gumtree find! 

I've been told I can use it reliably on veg tan leather up to 6mm thickness, it can certainly handle that (plus more I reckon, but won't test that). Certainly much better than the other older machines I was looking at - so very happy indeed! 

Very lucky - I reckon! Judging by the photos has it actually been used before?

On 5/29/2019 at 4:26 PM, dikman said:

Very lucky - I reckon! Judging by the photos has it actually been used before?

The guy I bought it from used it a couple of times to sew leather patches into jackets, but another business venture took off so he just put it aside and then 2 years later decided to sell it. It certainly looks very new and came with all the books/receipts etc., Now I just have to get the hang of using it and getting the tensions right! Do I have to play around with the tension of the top/bottom threads every time I change the leather thickness?? 

Usually..yes..However you can make life simpler by getting another bobbin case or two and adjusting each of them to use a specific thickness of thread in their bobbin..

So..
one bobbin case for 69..for when you use 69 on the top and bottom
one bobbin case for 92..for when you use 92 on the top and bottom
one bobbin case for 138...for when you use 138 on the top and bottom

That way you'll only have to adjust the top when you switch thread thicknessess

If you want to run 207 occasionally in the top ( the machine may not like it..except occasionally* ) then you run 138 in the bottom, because there may not be enough clearance for 207 in the bottom..the machine specs or manual will tell you the bottom bobbin thread max size..

Adjusting top tension is not complex, won't take you long when you change threads, just be careful about your thread paths on top and make sure that the thread is properly between the tension discs and through the check spring.

*The machine may not like running thicker than 138 in the top at all..if that is the case, don't force it..Just accept that with this machine that you cannot go higher..You'll be getting more machines later ;)

Edited by mikesc

Cheers mate, I tried 207 thread in the bobbin and on top and it seemed to work fine! had to reduce the tension for it to work but no issues after that. 

Thanks for the tips re buying separate bobbin cases, never thought of that! Just need to work on setting it right so that the knot is nicely centered in the leather and not visible...