EmilyEstelle

I was given a huge roll of thick saddle skirting... Need ideas...

Hi,

I've had half a cow rolled up in the corner of my living room since it was given to me.  Its such a big, thick hide that I'm not sure what to make with it.  Thinning it is a chore.  I am a novice so ...I am looking for ideas for projects that would suit such a thick hide (and my very basic skills...) If I thought it wouldn't just be a shameful waste of leather I'd find a saddle tree and give it a shot...  But, I don't believe in throwing away good resources.

Does anybody have ideas on what to make with something like this?  It is a LOT of leather, and its very heavy duty! 

Thanks,

Emily

Edited by EmilyEstelle

Emily,

I believe it would be a waste of effort and money to try to thin it down just to "try to make something of it". Unless you WANT to make a saddle, you are facing a huge task, and it normally takes two sides to make a saddle.  With all the folks up there, you could probably trade it out or sell it to your advantage (especially since it was given to you).  If it happens to be harness leather, all the better. 

I usually start with 12 oz for a saddle unless the user intends to REALLY use it rough, and I'm guessing that your stuff might be heavier then that.  Good luck. 

I have some rather heavy stuff in the corner also.  I have debated making boxes, small trunks, pen holders, baskets for storage in the car (tools, magazines, whatever), all decorated with carving and tooling.

but, I haven't yet... looking forward to hearing what others suggest..

YinTx

Paddles ? Floggers ? "Restraints" ? "Armour" ? Shoe / Boot / Sandal soles ?

Edited by mikesc

Depending on how thick it is you might be able to make belts out of it.  But you would need to be able to cut it into long even strips.

I don't have a gauge, (I know..) but looking at it I'd say 14 oz +  Its THICK... Armor might be an idea... I am going to do a pair of sandals for my daughter and the soles are definitely going to be from that.  I'd have to make a lot of sandals to use it all up.

You could always let sit there for a while no real harm should come it, and you could purchase some lighter weight leather or get some scrap leather to practise on and build up your skill level and then use it to make some of horse tack you want to get onto making.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Thick leather like that is what a lot of people want to make armor out of. And it's expensive, too. 
Since that leather was given to you, you could sell it at a bargain price to SCA people in your area, then use that money to buy leather of the thickness you really want. 

Btw Emily..your "interests" makes me think you may appreciate this thread started by a past member..

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/3502-black-and-silver-leather-fantasy-armor/

and then follow his links..

also
put this next line into Google

site:leatherworker.net azmal
or
site leatherworker.net prince

There are / were others here whose artwork on or around leather you might like.

Deviant art has many other leatherworkers who make armour..

Almost forgot..there is also one of the mods here..immiketoo does artwork, leather sculpture, and armour..and abhandmade..sculpted leather.

Edited by mikesc