Aari

Front Pocket Wallet in Veg Tan

A front pocket veg tan leather wallet.  Waxed hemp thread, no glue, 7 oz leather throughout.2034.thumb.jpg.bfdaebc8a00faeb8d9aa80c61451277f.jpg

2047.jpg

Edited by Aari

Interesting design.  Can you show it with some cards and cash?  I'm curious how it all comes together.

YinTx

You would get more strength on the card pockets if you sewed the edges over the top onto the layer below , rather than stopping just before the top like in your example

Interesting.  I also would like to see some cash and cards in it to better understand the design. 

I'll go ahead and photograph with some cash and cards 

On 7/28/2019 at 4:44 AM, chrisash said:

You would get more strength on the card pockets if you sewed the edges over the top onto the layer below , rather than stopping just before the top like in your example

I found when I did that I got an interrupted line, visually, and the thread tended to cut through. 

On 7/28/2019 at 12:25 AM, YinTx said:

Interesting design.  Can you show it with some cards and cash?  I'm curious how it all comes together.

YinTx

img_20190730_143744.632.jpg

img_20190730_143802.483.jpg

img_20190730_143820.654.jpg

If I could add my $.02 I would say kudos for thinking outside of the box.. While im not really a fan of front pocket wallets I'm sure there's some people who like them.

I would firstly consider using a lighter weight leather to keep the bulk down and also I think you could remove the back piece of leather from the ID window, I feel like its unnecessary and would function fine with that window sewn directly to the inside wall .. another observation is it seems like there's a lot of extra leather where it could be removed but I guess that's what makes it a font pocket wallet ? lol anyways keep it up !

I'm with Enanez, 7oz leather is way to thick. By changing from a back pocket to a front pocket, you're trying to minimize things. At 7oz with 8 layers once closed, you are running close to an inch thick before you add any cards or cash. Even dropping to 4oz, you've dropped to 1/2" closed and empty. And if you get rid of the backing piece behind the ID window, will help a little as well.

Thanks gentlemen for your ideas!! I'm going to carry it a while to see how it functions. I'm particularly interested in how it will act once broken in. I suspect that I'll end up agreeing that the leather overall is too thick for the design.

Just out of curiosity, is that water buffalo? I made one a few years ago out of water buffalo and the inside looks the same. Mine was only 5oz and I used goat on the inside. It's a brick filled up. It's curved to fit my ass  but hasn't really softened much. I really need to make myself a new one.

Halitech it's veg tan cow.  Turns out that you and Enanez84 are absolutely correct.  Even for a front pocket wallet its way too thick.  Going to make it out of 4 oz, and I think/hope that will be okay. Or maybe 3 oz....

Edited by Aari