Van504

How do you all *deal* with the occasional skipped stitch?

Not a thread about diagnosing skipped stitches.  We all know they can be caused by all kinds of factors, timing/tension/thread type/cement etc... But once you notice there is a skipped stitch, what do you all usually do about it? Leave it? Stitch over it? Undo/restitch? I get maybe one skipped stitch out of hundreds of other stitches (and of course they always occur when I'm actually working on a piece, after practicing on loads of scrap) and it still bothers me to no end.  Just wanted to pick the brains of others who this may happen too...

Irritating.  But I take the stitches out, redo it all.

"But once you notice there is a skipped stitch, what do you all usually do about it? Leave it? Stitch over it? Undo/restitch?"
I say "Oh ****!!"
then..
as JLS..
" But I take the stitches out, redo it all."
Precisely. :)

Depends on how much has been stitched before the miss. If not much, redo.  If a lot, like halfway through a saddle skirt, I'll take out to missed stitch then start  by overlapping a good stitch and continue. Seems to happen only in thick stiff leather if I don't use a slightly bigger needle. I've also used a diamond point needle in those cases. --John

17 hours ago, Van504 said:

Not a thread about diagnosing skipped stitches.  We all know they can be caused by all kinds of factors, timing/tension/thread type/cement etc... But once you notice there is a skipped stitch, what do you all usually do about it? Leave it? Stitch over it? Undo/restitch? I get maybe one skipped stitch out of hundreds of other stitches (and of course they always occur when I'm actually working on a piece, after practicing on loads of scrap) and it still bothers me to no end.  Just wanted to pick the brains of others who this may happen too...

I think the answer is going to be as broad as any other subjective question, but for me i will say "depends".  It depends on a few things, number 1. application, if the stitch is to provide structural/strength holding parts together -- definitely take it out and do it over

If the stitch is aesthetic in location and will detract from the desired look--do over

if the stitch is not in the above two categories, there are 2 options, leave it or try to fix it...I will usually cut the skipped stitch, back out enough to keep the thread out of the way then over stitch 2 or three fore & aft then singe the tails, if i catch it soon enough I will back out the stitching all the way to the skipped and then over stitch from 2 or three back. That all said, if it's one stitch in a long run and not noticeable or in the first two categories, i'll leave it be.