Whit30

Tooling surface other than marble?

Hello,

I previously had a large scrapped piece of marble for tooling that was nice instead of the usual 12x12 inch but a story short, do not have anymore.

Can anyone suggest a cheaper option  that I can use/make? Possibly a mix or type of concrete that can be poured and formed with a 2x4 form and obtain a smooth surface on the top?

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Find a place that cuts and installs stone countertops and offer to take away a scrap piece of granite, like I did. 
Cost  was zero.

Or a place that does gravestones and get a reject (usually just a color thing) flat grave marker blank

If its just for cutting on and not for heavy stamping - the glass from the door of a microwave oven or standard cooker

I have your answer.  Go over to the corner of Stowell and Blosser.  There is a gravestone provider there. Tell him what you want and he'll probably give it to you. Other than that, look up any stone mason and ask if they have any residual countertop  pieces that fit your needs.  You might have to pay to have it cut to your exact size, but it's cheap!

I'd go the concrete route if you're up to it so you can size it to fit your needs/space. And on the plus side, it's all the rage right now on YouTube because a lot of people are being sponsored by Quickcrete. So there's lots of great info on building forms, reinforcing, etc...

Granite. Far cheaper than marble, and incredibly durable.  MN is covered with it, and MN been there a long time.

ETA:  Concrete is a no-go.  Okay for cutting on, even pushing on, but not for hammering. Concrete CHIPS under impact (you may have heard of jack HAMMERS)  Park a truck on it if it's thick enough, but IMPACT is bad.

Edited by JLSleather

Thanks so much to each of you for your suggestions! And thank you SaddleBags, my wife said she knows where you are talking about. Take care everyone and thanks again!

On 10/11/2019 at 7:57 AM, oltoot said:

Or a place that does gravestones and get a reject (usually just a color thing) flat grave marker blank

RINGING GRAVE MARKER: an FYI

I recently came upon a gravestone into which the engraver had chiseled a beautiful but incorrect date (I imagine he expressed himself with an audible, "oops"). It is made of granite (quartz), it's 12 by 24 by 4 inches thick, and weighs around 150 pounds.  I was psyched - until I tried to tool on it.  It turns out the thing rings when it's struck, even with rubber underneath, rubber on top, and using a rubber mallet.  I would try getting used to it, but I live in a condo and I try to always respect my respectful neighbors.  Just a little FYI in case it's applicable to your situation.

Anybody know how I might mitigate this freakin' ring?

And - I was wondering if epoxy over cement would produce a usable worksurface.  Anybody know?

Rawhide mauls and mallets?

I use a granite grave stone I bought before it was engraved or finished.  It's on a heavy oak desk and it doesn't ring.  I prefer rawhide to poly mauls.

1 hour ago, hiloper said:

granite

Yup

1 hour ago, hiloper said:

I prefer rawhide

Yup.