Bieke

Looking for leather with mistakes

Hi there,

Last year I got hired in a Waldorf highschool in Antwerp/Belgium to introduce leathercraft to young adults. A beautiful job and what they made was stunning.

The only thing is that it is rather expensive for the school, since it's about 60 students/year making bags and wallets!

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find rather cheap vegetable tanned hides (1,00mm-3mm), maybe those that are not very wanted because of scars, discoloration and other marks?

The more natural, the better, and mistakes are very welcome.

Curious to hear from you!

Bieke

where are you located? you might try looking up some possible local tanneries to see if they can donate to the school system.

4 hours ago, Bieke said:

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where I can find rather cheap vegetable tanned hides (1,00mm-3mm), maybe those that are not very wanted because of scars, discoloration and other marks?

Any Tandy...

Contact both tanneries and leather/hide suppliers. Ask them if they have any damaged, second grade, or surplus/clearance hides

Bellies and splits are the cheapest types of leather. They are not good enough for top quality items, but they are good enough for learning, and for making small items

Ask for a discount on large orders. Find out if you can set up a regular purchase order from your suppliers. Not just leather either. Suppliers should be able to give you a discount for large orders of any other things too, like tools, thread, dyes and so on

Contact the makers of finished leather goods. They might let you have their scraps and offcuts

I've just Searched Google for 'leather tanners belgium' and 'leather hide suppliers belgium' There are several references in Belgium and The Netherlands

Edited by zuludog

J Wood in england do a economical veg tan that might fit, last time i had a price list about £2.60 ft probably get cheaper for large orders

Email: product.info@jwoodleathers.co.uk

14 hours ago, Sturme said:

where are you located? you might try looking up some possible local tanneries to see if they can donate to the school system.

in Belgium, Antwerp. Good idea, I will!

2 hours ago, chrisash said:

J Wood in england do a economical veg tan that might fit, last time i had a price list about £2.60 ft probably get cheaper for large orders

Email: product.info@jwoodleathers.co.uk

Thank you! I do know some tanneries in Belgium, but its always nice to get names of others. Its not easy to find exactly what you need, if you can't see or feel it.

4 hours ago, zuludog said:

Contact both tanneries and leather/hide suppliers. Ask them if they have any damaged, second grade, or surplus/clearance hides

Bellies and splits are the cheapest types of leather. They are not good enough for top quality items, but they are good enough for learning, and for making small items

Ask for a discount on large orders. Find out if you can set up a regular purchase order from your suppliers. Not just leather either. Suppliers should be able to give you a discount for large orders of any other things too, like tools, thread, dyes and so on

Contact the makers of finished leather goods. They might let you have their scraps and offcuts

I've just Searched Google for 'leather tanners belgium' and 'leather hide suppliers belgium' There are several references in Belgium and The Netherlands

Thank you!

Le Prevo in Newcastle, England has what you need and will send to you as well.

I also used to get the free chrome leather off cuts from a Car seat maker in the uk, often pieces would be about 3-4 Sq Feet or larger, so if you have any car seat or other upholstery companies near you they could be worth a try, probably more things you can make with chrome leather than veg tan

Edited by chrisash

On 10/25/2019 at 3:40 PM, fredk said:

Le Prevo in Newcastle, England has what you need and will send to you as well.

Thank you very much. I can find tanneries online, but you never know what they produce until you visit them or until someone tells you about it. This is helpful!

On 10/25/2019 at 5:29 PM, chrisash said:

I also used to get the free chrome leather off cuts from a Car seat maker in the uk, often pieces would be about 3-4 Sq Feet or larger, so if you have any car seat or other upholstery companies near you they could be worth a try, probably more things you can make with chrome leather than veg tan

Thank you. We work by hand, hand-sewing, no machines, and I really appreciate the quality of veg tanned leather...

11 hours ago, Bieke said:

Thank you very much. I can find tanneries online, but you never know what they produce until you visit them or until someone tells you about it. This is helpful!

All leather suppliers will send out samples, some for free others a small postage fee