Sign in to follow this  
Sjm1027

getting started

I visited Tandy today. Come to find out they are only 2.6 miles away from where I work. (Dangerous)

So today I picjed up the Leatherwork Manual and a catalog along with the Wholesale card. Tomorrow I am going back to pickup some tools so I can get started for the weekend.

In the The Skiver Newsleather the have there is a knife on page 5 35049-00 regular $129.00 but a sale price of $79.99

I am reading that the swivel knife is the most important tool but is it really necessary to spend this much on a swivel knife? I don't want to buy cheap tools either I would rather buy once. But really, is this knife that much better than the rest? I was thinking the stainless steel knife for 35050-02.

Are the Al Stohlman Brand tools worth the extra money?

Thanks,

Steve

Edited by Sjm1027

Well Steve,

I have both of these knives. I like them both. I have both small and large stainless knives (I like the large better) The stainless is a very good knife and with the wholesale club you can get it at a decent price. I like the feel of the stacked leather on the other one better than the knurled on the stainless. However, you can never have too many swivel knives. I've got 6 or 7 and plan on buying at least one more. It's much easier to pick up another knife than to change blades all the time. As for frequency, I find myself using the stacked leather one the most.

I think I'm going to go with a custom made Robert Beard Swivel knife next. I've heard nothing but praise for them. But if you go that route, plan on a premium price. I think they are around $100-125.

Something you may be able to do is have Tandy let you try them out on a scrap piece of leather. They may let you do that to decide which one you like.

Regards

Marlon

Thanks Marlon,

I just may go for the better knife because of the sale price. I will take your advice and ask to see if I can play on a scrap. I was like a kid in a candy store today. Can't wait to get started.

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Well Steve,

I have both of these knives. I like them both. I have both small and large stainless knives (I like the large better) The stainless is a very good knife and with the wholesale club you can get it at a decent price. I like the feel of the stacked leather on the other one better than the knurled on the stainless. However, you can never have too many swivel knives. I've got 6 or 7 and plan on buying at least one more. It's much easier to pick up another knife than to change blades all the time. As for frequency, I find myself using the stacked leather one the most.

I think I'm going to go with a custom made Robert Beard Swivel knife next. I've heard nothing but praise for them. But if you go that route, plan on a premium price. I think they are around $100-125.

Something you may be able to do is have Tandy let you try them out on a scrap piece of leather. They may let you do that to decide which one you like.

Regards

Marlon

Hey Steve!

Just thought I'd add my two cents worth. I have been tooling leather since 1981, making mostly holsters and gunbelts for work. Since I retired in '05 I have gotten into saddle making. I carved for years using commonly available swivel knives (Tandy, Hidecrafters, etc.) and thought they worked fine, mostly because I didn't know the difference.

I had a chance to go to Sheridan last year for Saddle Week and made a couple trips to Barry King's shop. I bought one of his swivel knives, and have also gotten one from Chuck Smith (Ol' Smoothie). Both are fantastic and light years ahead of "standard issue" knives. Both makers have several lengths and diameters of knife barrels. The main difference you will notice is how much smoother the swivel action is. The only bad news is that you won't have either one this weekend!

If you have decided that leather tooling is something you plan on doing for years to come, I would urge you to spend the couple dollars extra and go 'first class'. I hope this helps.

Mike

Just to chime in here. Mike and Marlon are definitely giving good thoughts. I totally agree with them.

The swivel knife is one of the most important tools you can invest in.

I have several of the stainless ones from tandy, and still use them on occasion. They hold my special blades like my beader, hair blade, wide blade etc.

The knife I use for all of my carving is my knife and blade from Bob Beard. the action is smooth and the polished blade rocks. My preference is a 1/4" angle blade in a 1/2" diameter short knife. It has made a world of difference.

Barry King has some good knives, only down side is I believe he uses a different shank size on his blades so you have to get them from him.

I have never used the "old smoothie" so can not comment on that.

Both the latter knives you can get almost immediately. Unfortunately you will have to wait a while for Bob's. It took almost a year to get mine.

But the best thing I can suggest is to get a cheaper one to get used to handeling it. Properly maintained, it can work very similarly to the more expensive ones.

Yeah, Bob's tools usually have a 3 to 6 month wait, because he makes them all by hand. Now I think it will be a little longer, because Bob's father just passed. However, I think it is very well worth the wait. I just ordered a catalog from them and hope to order soon.

Marlon

I just got a Hidecrafter flier (sale ends 30 Sep). Their Lancer is on sale for $40. If you're looking for a reasonable swivel knife before going high-end, I prefer this one to anything from Tandy.

i use one from barry king and i am more than happy with it! i don't undrstand the need for multiple knifes but that's just me.

i use a 3/8" knife with a 1/4" straight blade. i used to use as AS knife with a 1/2" ceramic blade but it sits unused anymore.

i hear bob's are the best but, i won't wait 6 months or more for a tool. barry's are available right away

As far as blades go Henley Manufacturing in Shreveport La. make a type of blade they call "extreme alloy" this blade with steady stropping will go longer between sharping than anything I've ever seen before. They make two sizes of shanks so you can get them to fit Craftool or King barrels. They also make swivel knives but I have never used one of thiers, if they are even close to the blades they will be good. Greg

Just a comment in terms of what to buy for immediate use, versus what to look for long term. Right now, just starting out, you don't know what will fit right, whether you will want thick or thin barrel, tall or short.

Wouldn't be money well spent, even on sale, to drop 80 bucks on a knife only to learn that it doesn't fit your hand well. A cheap swivel knife is just that, and it won't give you the feel that the better ones can.. but it can give you the chance to work with something and decide whether or not it fits, and if it would be more comfortable taller, or shorter, or whatever.

I'm still working with Tandy cheap knives, but I try to get decent blades in them. But then, my favorite knife for carving with isn't even a swivel :biggrin: and no, I'm not talking about carving dinner. I've got a simple one piece knife a friend made for me, I'll get a picture up here at some point.

Anyway, you want to get a swivel knife that fits you and the way you carve - but before you can know what that is, you need to do some carving and find out.

I did just that,

Went to Tandy yesterday, met Tony, great guy and spent a lot of time with me. I picked up the following to get me started:

Poly Mallet, swivel knife with a good blade, needles, thread, punch, lacing chisel, and about 6 stamps. I also have a few books to read before I get going. But Tony gave me about an hour of explaining what I need to get started. So I have some leather, and more questions but I am enjoying reading and playing right now. I need a few more things but it can wait.

Thanks for all your help

Steve

Just a comment in terms of what to buy for immediate use, versus what to look for long term. Right now, just starting out, you don't know what will fit right, whether you will want thick or thin barrel, tall or short.

Wouldn't be money well spent, even on sale, to drop 80 bucks on a knife only to learn that it doesn't fit your hand well. A cheap swivel knife is just that, and it won't give you the feel that the better ones can.. but it can give you the chance to work with something and decide whether or not it fits, and if it would be more comfortable taller, or shorter, or whatever.

I'm still working with Tandy cheap knives, but I try to get decent blades in them. But then, my favorite knife for carving with isn't even a swivel :biggrin: and no, I'm not talking about carving dinner. I've got a simple one piece knife a friend made for me, I'll get a picture up here at some point.

Anyway, you want to get a swivel knife that fits you and the way you carve - but before you can know what that is, you need to do some carving and find out.

I'm with Peter here. I still use the cheap Tandy swivel knives but with good blades in them. I have one with a Henley blade designed by Peter Main for thin leather, a couple with Bob Beard sharp angle detail blades in them, and a couple with regular Tandy blades in them yet. I bought a thin barrel Barry King knife a couple years ago and it just doesn't fit me well. I think I am on the list for one of Bob Beard's knives when he gets some made. I am not sure if all the ball bearings make a tremendous amount of difference in your carving, but they sure are fun to play with when the yoke will spin forever.

I am not sure if all the ball bearings make a tremendous amount of difference in your carving, but they sure are fun to play with when the yoke will spin forever.

ROTFLMAO. Laughing because I catch myself sitting by my bench doing that exact thing when I am waiting for something to dry once in a while.