Sign in to follow this  
Samalan

Bullet loop jig 44mag shown

Hope this comes out right had a request to see my home made bullet loop jig the plate shown is for 44mag the tool the shaft is 0-1 tool steel the rest brass and walnut works great very fast layout.

20200115_065659.jpeg

very nice and handy ,  how does it work It appears to be wider than the strap shown is there an edge on the template that keeps the marks a certain distance from the edge of the leather? Will it do multiple widths of belt?

yes thanks for asking it dose have an edge but it can be used on any size belt if you look at the chest holster i posted the slide is narrower than the jig where you can see through the plate it's easy to line up or you can use a filler let's put it this way if you have this one would not even think of laying it out by hand . Thanks for the question and comments.

Love the center punch- Bravo on the jig!

42 minutes ago, SilverForgeStudio said:

Love the center punch- Bravo on the jig!

Thanks it was fun to make  i love making tools .

Very nice! I use paper templates and a scratch awl. They work but after seeing your Plexiglas template and awesome center punch I'm feeling like I really need to step up my game. 

All the best, Josh

Sweet thank you for sharing that makes my paper templates pale in comparison.

Todd

Great Idea!  Wish I had thought of that.  The brass on the handle looks like the brass from a high base 12 gauge shotgun shell.  Nice reuse of a spent shell if it is.  Is the purpose of the spring to keep the tip off the leather until you are ready to make your mark?  Do you also have a template to make your stitch marks on the leather used for the loops or do you just use a  tape measure/ruler?  Bottom line, nicely done.

7 hours ago, Josh Ashman said:

I use paper templates and a scratch awl

me too. I'll likely quit that when people can tell what I used ;)

3 hours ago, RemingtonSteel said:

Great Idea!  Wish I had thought of that.  The brass on the handle looks like the brass from a high base 12 gauge shotgun shell.  Nice reuse of a spent shell if it is.  Is the purpose of the spring to keep the tip off the leather until you are ready to make your mark?  Do you also have a template to make your stitch marks on the leather used for the loops or do you just use a  tape measure/ruler?  Bottom line, nicely done.

Ithought of the 12ga to but went with solid brass havent made the marking jig for the loops themselves but thats just slots cut in plastic  i'll use the same tool to draw the lines. thank you for the nice comments.

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:

me too. I'll likely quit that when people can tell what I used ;)

Ya i know the tool is not needed i just like making tools because it's fun then useing them is even more fun!

10 hours ago, Josh Ashman said:

Very nice! I use paper templates and a scratch awl. They work but after seeing your Plexiglas template and awesome center punch I'm feeling like I really need to step up my game. 

All the best, Josh

Thank you for the nice commets .

9 hours ago, Hildebrand said:

Sweet thank you for sharing that makes my paper templates pale in comparison.

Todd

Thank you