Bant

Yet Another Stitching Horse Question

Shortly after I joined this forum, I threw out several questions regarding stitching horses.  My ultimate objective is to build one that is a blend of ideas.  I'm now at the point of the clamp design.  I see clamps that are canted, and those that are vertical.  I'd appreciate any thoughts of both styles that you Folks might have, as well as any other design thoughts you might share.

I built mine a few years back from Poplar. I bought the wood 4" thick from a specialty wood store. Then cut the pieces on a resaw.

DSCN0139.JPG

DSCN0140.JPG

DSCN0141.JPG

3/8" swivel joint

DSCN0145.JPG

Edited by sinpac

DSCN0143.JPG

3 hours ago, Bant said:

Shortly after I joined this forum, I threw out several questions regarding stitching horses.  My ultimate objective is to build one that is a blend of ideas.  I'm now at the point of the clamp design.  I see clamps that are canted, and those that are vertical.  I'd appreciate any thoughts of both styles that you Folks might have, as well as any other design thoughts you might share.

I got this pattern out of an old farm book. if you would like a copy I can dig it up. It's somewhere on my Computer LOL

Here's my two cents.  Stitching is all about muscle memory and consistency.  If you started with a clam and moved to a stitching horse, the you would want it to feel just like you were still using a clam. So the jaws would be at the same height and have the same cant as near as possible.  You'd want to have to do as little relearning as possible.  You just want to sit and stitch.

If the stitching horse user had never used a clam, they wouldn't bother to go through the hassle of canting the jaws.

Plans: 

Check out pages 98-104

https://ia802605.us.archive.org/32/items/farmwoodwork00roeh/farmwoodwork00roeh.pdf

Edited by Aven
Adding plans

2 minutes ago, Aven said:

Thats the book. Of course I changed a few things and added a few thing, but thats it in a nutshell.

Here is another one I stitch off. The jaws on this one do not have a cant on them. That's why I made the jaws on my stitching horse straight up and down. Like Aven said I have no learning curve from one to another. I have no Idea how old this one is. Going by the foot wear on the base, I would guess it's been around the block a few times.

DSCN0146.JPG

Edited by sinpac

Fun book, thank you!  Lots of good stuff in there.

God bless

Thanks for the responses Gentlemen.  I've got the farm woodwork as well as a few others.   I'm going to have decide one way or the other.  Thanks again for the feed back!

How many and what kind of sewing machines do you have in your shop? 

Vikefan

On 1/22/2020 at 5:52 PM, Vikefan said:

sinpac

How many and what kind of sewing machines do you have in your shop? 

Vikefan

I have a cowboy 3200, Consew 225 and a singer 211G155.  The cowboy is setup for 277 thread. The Consew with 138 tread and the Singer with 96 thread. I did have a Union Special chain stitch. I got rid of that, I didn't like it.

Edited by sinpac

Thanks Sinpac.  I'm thinking since I'm building more and more stuff, I might just have to get me a Industrial Sewing machine.  Hand-stitching takes a bit of time and work.

Vikefan

On 1/21/2020 at 8:24 PM, Aven said:

Here's my two cents.  Stitching is all about muscle memory and consistency.  If you started with a clam and moved to a stitching horse, the you would want it to feel just like you were still using a clam. So the jaws would be at the same height and have the same cant as near as possible.  You'd want to have to do as little relearning as possible.  You just want to sit and stitch.

If the stitching horse user had never used a clam, they wouldn't bother to go through the hassle of canting the jaws.

Plans: 

Check out pages 98-104

https://ia802605.us.archive.org/32/items/farmwoodwork00roeh/farmwoodwork00roeh.pdf

Thanks for sharing that fascinating book.  I love stuff like that!  My father was a farmer and told me about some of the things he built on the farm and I was amazed.  Brings back memories.

There is also a plan for a stitching horse in the book "The Art of Hand Stitching" by Al Stohlman, it is a free ebook on the Tandy web site.

11 hours ago, Vikefan said:

Thanks Sinpac.  I'm thinking since I'm building more and more stuff, I might just have to get me a Industrial Sewing machine.  Hand-stitching takes a bit of time and work.

Vikefan

I went from a 29-4 Singer to the Consew. It's a work horse. It does the 138 thread no problem. One draw back is you always have to be mindful of your bobbin thread. It don't take long to burn threw a bobbin using 138 thread. I put a servo on it, which helped a great deal. I think the way it sits now I have 400 dollars in the whole setup.

Sinpac

How thick a leather can you sew with that Consew?  I'm in Alaska.. so finding deals is pretty slim.

Vikefan

Edited by Vikefan
Forgot something.

8 hours ago, Vikefan said:

Sinpac

How thick a leather can you sew with that Consew?  I'm in Alaska.. so finding deals is pretty slim.

Vikefan

Last night I stitched up three layers of Veg Tan and one layer of pig hide liner. roughly 13 ounces. T-138 bonded nylon thread with a size 23 needle. Bobbin was also load with T-138. I did ok.