pmieras2000

My first backpack and hopefully not my last

So I finally finished it. Took a long time and tons of planning, staring, visualizing, figuring out stuff on paper with designs, fiddling with the order to put things together, etc but it's done and turned out better than expected. The customer is extremely happy with the backpack. To preface the piece a little... The main body is a kodiak oil finished leather with veg tanned top. It was requested to match Doc Marten boots as well as a wallet I had made for the same customer some years ago. Top flap needed to be tooled. All-in-all, it took almost a whole half a cow, almost a whole pig for lining, 20+ copper burrs and a bunch of copper hardware. The bag is fully lined and completely hand stitched (most I have ever done on a single project). There are 3 internal pockets with one being sized to fit a Surface Pro and 3 external pockets (the external pockets have a pocket space behind them as well). Some spots the layers were extremely thick and it caused a little alignment issues (Top shoulder mounts). There is 1" nylon webbing in the shoulder straps for added strength as well as the grab handle across the top. Shoulder straps have foam padding for a little added comfort and well as a sheet in the back panel for a little added rigidity. Hope everyone likes it. Any feedback, negative or positive is welcomed as it helps be get better.  Have made some adjustments to my pattern it help with the next one. I love how the copper burrs added subtle copper ques.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

That is very very nice :)

That turned out great. 

I like it!   I like that you did a nice floral carving, and it's not Sheridan!  Don't get me wrong, Sheridan can be nice but it's nice to see something else at times.  I think the only thing I might change would have been to put a small patch pocket on the gusset where the stitching for the inside one shows through to sort of disguise it.  I have no doubt tho that the recipient will love it!

- Bill

I also really like it.  I agree with billybopp, easy enough to put a pocket on the outside and then stitch all the way through to the inside pocket.  Even if it is only a flat piece of leather to put a cell phone in, etc.

Can't wait to see the next one!

17 hours ago, billybopp said:

I like it!   I like that you did a nice floral carving, and it's not Sheridan!  Don't get me wrong, Sheridan can be nice but it's nice to see something else at times.  I think the only thing I might change would have been to put a small patch pocket on the gusset where the stitching for the inside one shows through to sort of disguise it.  I have no doubt tho that the recipient will love it!

- Bill

That's a great idea. Easy to incorporate as well. Thanks

Man, that's a lot of work!! That carving is really nice, as is the colour finish on top.