DaveP

Advice needed for sheath

I've made a couple knives recently and now I'm wanting to make sheaths for them. Experience level is zero...don't have any of the correct tools.  I  do have a vegetable tanned belly to practice on.  Watching every video I can on sheaths and stitching. Plus tool reviews. For the skinning knife leaning towards the wrapped type sheath. The smaller knives I really don't have a direction. They are 4 inches total length. .  What would you do?

Thank you 

David 

20200410_093759.jpg

I like wrapped sheaths, . . . with a welt to protect the stitches, . . . looks like it would work for all three of em.

Nice part about wrapped sheaths, . . . you can do it in two pieces, . . . the sheath and the welt, . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

sheath pattern.jpg

Also Al Stohlman's "Art of making leather cases" will be of use.  

YinTx

That belly leather stretches quite a bit too so try and keep that in mind.

If you can find a copy of Chuck Burrows "Custom Knife Sheaths", the DVD is well worth the price.

Fortunately for your efforts, those are pretty easy knives to fit.  Some knives - like those with big guards - take a lot of extra work.

Take a manila folder and open it halfway.  Place the spine of the knife against the upright part of the folder.  Now you can trace the knife on the side of the folder that it's laying on.  Once done, remove the knife and draw a line outside of your tracing about 1/2 inch larger (or slightly more).  Now fold the folder backwards from how it started out.  Cut out the outer line that you drew.  When you open that cut out part, you will have a good starting pattern to cut out the leather you need for the sheath.

Here's how I do mine for bigger knives. The folks around here, Wyoming, are really going for the crossdraw style sheaths , the smaller knives would work and look great that way.

sheath1.JPG

I've ordered the Chuck Burrows DVD about a week ago.  Waiting on it to arrive. 

Al Stohlman has 3 books or volumes.  Which is the better one to have?

I  like the cross draw. How's it attached to the sheath? What color is that dyed?

Belly leather is a cheap way for me to learn on. Once I figure out how I want to make my sheaths I'd like to do over with better grade leather. 

Thanks again, 

David 

Edited by DaveP

Believe it or not, the best Stohlman book is the ultra basic "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather".    Super easy to follow and it shows lots of technique for getting the job done right.  I know that Chuck Burrows used to refer to illustrations from it when trying to show people how to do something.

20 hours ago, DaveP said:

Al Stohlman has 3 books or volumes.  Which is the better one to have?

They are all three good, but the volume that has a section on knife sheaths is Volume One.

The Art of Hand Sewing Leather is also quite good, but I didn't see anything in there specific to knife sheaths.  If you haven't sewn before and plan to on this, definitely review it.

YinTx

Figured I try to draw up a pattern.  Is this the correct way? How much do you add for the belt loop to the top? Or is it stitched on the back? It's a 1/2" bigger than knife. Inside line 3/16" for stitch line. Or does it go directly into the middle? 

20200415_185215.jpg

How's this one? Thought of folding belt loop to the inside an inch, as part of the welt.  So good side of leather is on outside.  Or is that too ambitious for first sheath? Figure I'd start with the little one first. 

20200416_083004.jpg

Edited by DaveP

Drew this over...is this better ? I did receive and watch the Chuck Burrows DVD.  Still not sure if I want a loop or sew a belt loop on. How would this be drawn for left side draw?

Thanks 

20200420_174444.jpg

I usually play pretend to figure out the "how" when deciding weak or strong side carry. I always ensure the spine is in the forward direction when designing a sheath for up/down oriented or dangler carry. Canted or scout carry is a bit different of a critter but I play pretend the same way.

25 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

I usually play pretend to figure out the "how" when deciding weak or strong side carry. I always ensure the spine is in the forward direction when designing a sheath for up/down oriented or dangler carry. Canted or scout carry is a bit different of a critter but I play pretend the same way.

What do you mean? By cutting it out and put the pattern on? Does it look too deep into the sheath? My first sheath ever!

9 hours ago, DaveP said:

What do you mean? By cutting it out and put the pattern on? Does it look too deep into the sheath? My first sheath ever!

Even before the pattern. I have a hard time conceptualizing without seeing. I'll grab my knife and literally hold it where and how I want it to ride. I'll literally write down a note on how to do that part, then I keep stepping through the details, figuring out whether I want a belt loop, where to put the loop, do I want a pancake, do I want a dangler?

Since this is your first, I'd recommend a dangler or belt loop vs. a scout or canted rig. You WILL need a welt. I'd make a taco out of the leather with the spine of the knife riding in the closed side of the taco, figure out where the belt loop and welt will go and sew them in. You control the depth. I usually go an inch or so into the sheath or if there is a good amount of curvature on the handle I'll wet form it so it'll retain without a strap.

It seems daunting. I remember my first sheath. You'll learn a ton even though its a little stressful at the outset.