fredk

My latest board game

I thought I'd share with you my latest board game

Its a 'chase game' using the basic medieval 'chase game' tenets but I based the premise of the game on real Irish history. Off & on this game has taken nearly 20 years to get to this point. It took a long time to research the history, work it out then fit it into a 'game'. The game went thru a number of variables until it was good enough to commit to leather.

Firstly the playing board. Overall the board is 39cm square. Covered in 3mm water buffalo hide, then the playing surface is a 1.6mm thick piece glued on and marked out. 11 x 11 squares, each 30mm. The details are some basic Tandy 3D stamps impressed, some details I had brass stamps made up and tooling stamps were used as well.

Some of the squares were coated with acrylic varnish then painted using ordinary plastic modelling acrylic paints. After some squares and the edge surround were dyed chestnut brown it all got a couple of coats of the varnish to seal it and protect it. The varnish is that 'Pledge' floor 'polish' type stuff but a version I get locally to me

1635534712_TheBookofArdMhachano.1set01LWs.jpg.b6f41157baa7290068b779a8c81d4f05.jpg

I made and cast up the playing pieces. I came across a small wooden compartment box in a UK craft & book shop. It had a clear acrylic window on the lid which I covered with a stamped leather panel. The inside of the lid got a panel of thin green leather. I also had to stain and varnish the box. I had special plaques engraved for the box and the board.

918370672_TheBookofArdMhachano.1set12LWs.jpg.8b27cb30efb3ced26857d6d8d234b64a.jpg

The main game pieces are 5 'viking' style ships, each approx 25mm long, and an Irish Celtic cross centre piece. The other items are; 2 dice, a miniature Bible, a bag of sails for the ships and a bag of Irish coins. I had to line the sides of the box compartments and make the support blocks for the pieces

408890107_TheBookofArdMhachano.1set14LWs.jpg.526f9a877a0e0edf37dc9d28c52b42af.jpg

To add to the set I made a dice cup. The name of the game is impressed on the side of the cup. This is only the second dice cup I've ever made.

1691330367_TheBookofArdMhachano.1set15LWs.jpg.c6bb613b9eb5ade67598651803762dc4.jpg  273265478_TheBookofArdMhachano.1set16LWs.jpg.0471c0169f87d8d84c0ce87dcd4d8dca.jpg  1763964561_TheBookofArdMhachano.1set17LWs.jpg.54ff3bb1f98d9bda548d08f05d34de3f.jpg  545228653_TheBookofArdMhachano.1set18LWs.jpg.44ba622334485a143e04ed294144f88d.jpg 1995845733_TheBookofArdMhachano.1set19LWs.jpg.563c91f832fa457cf487ba23341d75db.jpg 1092527474_TheBookofArdMhachano.1set20LWs.jpg.9689f16d5707cf3156f40377a81f40c9.jpg

And a hex shaped dice tray. On each side is a Celtic design, all Tandy 3D stamps

403748702_TheBookofArdMhachano.1set05LWs.jpg.a3f9a728bee8fe6c87f556eba7c45b84.jpg 1470555391_TheBookofArdMhachano.1set06LWs.jpg.adba8b8a85a451e9b8e95ac301dc432a.jpg  2111211860_TheBookofArdMhachano.1set07LWs.jpg.757f559c3342d82528248c0a9c597bca.jpg  1579681552_TheBookofArdMhachano.1set08LWs.jpg.8151825f87663d11c966c1d9b9c8dae1.jpg 

264766398_TheBookofArdMhachano.1set09LWs.jpg.5eebc7e623de55267beb2c9e456cd84b.jpg  1612646084_TheBookofArdMhachano.1set10LWs.jpg.52e4fc2e5ecf22a503784c0af5e5f539.jpg

This 1st set went to my No.1 son. Set 2 is almost ready to be sent to No.1 dottir

This is very cool @fredk! You’ve really got a nice, professional package here. I like the inclusion of the dice tray, I need to make one for use with various games that my family plays. Did you print up a rule sheet as well? 

wow very cool !! so how is the game played? 

16 minutes ago, Retswerb said:

This is very cool @fredk! You’ve really got a nice, professional package here. I like the inclusion of the dice tray, I need to make one for use with various games that my family plays. Did you print up a rule sheet as well? 

Thank you

Yes I did. A4 sheet, two 'pages' per side, folded to make a 4 page A5 booklet size. As you can see, the 'dice' tray is just a hex valet tray

7 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

wow very cool !! so how is the game played? 

Thank you

Basically, there are 4 ships (the 5th is used in a variation). Monks  (in a gold coloured ship) carrying a gold and jewelled book to the Abbey of Ard Mhacha at the very centre of the board.  They play first. Followed by one set of vikings (black ship), who are chased by Brian Boru (green ship) to protect his monks. Brian is chased by his son-in-law, (red ship) another viking who is going to help the black viking.

There are hazards and helps round the board. Two dice are used, but one is wind and the other is tidal current. The lower score of one die is subtracted from the other higher number and the ship moves that number, eg dice throw is 5 & 3, so ship moves only two places, dice throw of 4 & 4 = no move. The ships start play off the board and come on centre of each side according to their colour, and move one row inwards at the end of one circuit of the board. Rules include 'sea battles' and there is even the legendary Monster of Lough nEchach

Vikings need to catch the monks before they reach the Abbey in the centre, or the vikings try to get to the Abbey first to raid it.

In the first game No1 and I played on this board I was vikings and my red ship reached the Abbey first, so I won. A game can last from 30 minutes to well over 1 hr 30 minutes, all depends on the dice

The real history is that Brian Boru gave the Abbey of Ard Mhacha 22 ounces of gold. They used some of it on a new gold & bejewelled cover for their 150 year old Gospel book. The Viking King of Mann, Brodir the Black tried to raid Ard Mhacha to get this book for himself. Boru stopped him but also had to fight his son-in-law Sigtrygg Silkbeard. The real circumstances were different but I aligned them to fit the game.

1 hour ago, fredk said:

Thank you

Yes I did. A4 sheet, two 'pages' per side, folded to make a 4 page A5 booklet size. As you can see, the 'dice' tray is just a hex valet tray

Thank you

Basically, there are 4 ships (the 5th is used in a variation). Monks  (in a gold coloured ship) carrying a gold and jewelled book to the Abbey of Ard Mhacha at the very centre of the board.  They play first. Followed by one set of vikings (black ship), who are chased by Brian Boru (green ship) to protect his monks. Brian is chased by his son-in-law, (red ship) another viking who is going to help the black viking.

There are hazards and helps round the board. Two dice are used, but one is wind and the other is tidal current. The lower score of one die is subtracted from the other higher number and the ship moves that number, eg dice throw is 5 & 3, so ship moves only two places, dice throw of 4 & 4 = no move. The ships start play off the board and come on centre of each side according to their colour, and move one row inwards at the end of one circuit of the board. Rules include 'sea battles' and there is even the legendary Monster of Lough nEchach

Vikings need to catch the monks before they reach the Abbey in the centre, or the vikings try to get to the Abbey first to raid it.

In the first game No1 and I played on this board I was vikings and my red ship reached the Abbey first, so I won. A game can last from 30 minutes to well over 1 hr 30 minutes, all depends on the dice

The real history is that Brian Boru gave the Abbey of Ard Mhacha 22 ounces of gold. They used some of it on a new gold & bejewelled cover for their 150 year old Gospel book. The Viking King of Mann, Brodir the Black tried to raid Ard Mhacha to get this book for himself. Boru stopped him but also had to fight his son-in-law Sigtrygg Silkbeard. The real circumstances were different but I aligned them to fit the game.

wow very interesting! You should be really proud of that set its beautiful as well as an interesting look back at history.

This is some next level Sh....stuff!!

Your latest board game sounds like a labor of love, especially with all the historical research and craftsmanship that went into it over the past 20 years. The attention to detail in creating the playing board is impressive, from the water buffalo hide cover to the intricate 3D stamps and brass details. It must have been quite a journey to refine the game mechanics to the point where it's now ready for the leather treatment.
By the way, if you're into card games, have you ever tried Gin Rummy? It's a classic game that's both strategic and fun, perfect for passing the time with friends or family.

Edited by Acomaxis

Very cool, Fred! ;)

Sounds like a fun game, Fred. And unique. How nice!