Jump to content
Jason046

Sanding leather edges

Recommended Posts

I was wondering if yall sand yalls edges before burnishing. I started sanding with a 220 grut and get them smooth and then burnish. Always liked the way they turned out but was wondering if it was just an unnecessary step as I have been getting behind on orders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do the same, sand in one direction only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually use 220 then 400 grit, followed by water then a glycerine soap rub and a brisk canvas rub.  I got the soap and canvas from a Don Gonzales utube video on edge slicking.  This has worked the best for me and I have tried, saddle soap then a motorized burnisher(Dremel and grinder motor based), saddle soap and cloth but nothing works as well as the glycerine soap and canvas for me.

Todd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Hildebrand said:

I usually use 220 then 400 grit, followed by water then a glycerine soap rub and a brisk canvas rub.  I got the soap and canvas from a Don Gonzales utube video on edge slicking.  This has worked the best for me and I have tried, saddle soap then a motorized burnisher(Dremel and grinder motor based), saddle soap and cloth but nothing works as well as the glycerine soap and canvas for me.

Todd

I have tried that way and liked it but now I use a nfo and beeswax mix with electric burnishing wheel

38 minutes ago, Hardrada said:

No. I glass them instead with a skiving knife: no mushrooming this way.

Thats interesting.  Is their a video that shows this process?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For cases, I have a bench sander. I sand the edges until they're even all around the case, bevel the edges, apply some dye, and then burnish while the dye is still a bit damp ( using the  wood handle of my beveller) , and finish off with bit of boot polish, comes up sweet  :) 

For belts, I just bevel & burnish using the same wood handle, still comes up sweet  :) 

HS

Burnishing Pics Nov 2020 001.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

For cases, I have a bench sander. I sand the edges until they're even all around the case, bevel the edges, apply some dye, and then burnish while the dye is still a bit damp ( using the  wood handle of my beveller) , and finish off with bit of boot polish, comes up sweet  :) 

For belts, I just bevel & burnish using the same wood handle, still comes up sweet  :) 

HS

Burnishing Pics Nov 2020 001.jpg

Nice! Looks good, I might give that a try

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jason046 said:

Thats interesting.  Is their a video that shows this process?

 

It's also described in Al Stohlman's book The Art of Hand Sewing Leather (p.63) but he uses a piece of broken glass to even the edges out (hence the term 'glassing').

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...