Sign in to follow this  
smithjonnn

Using leather balm atom wax in combination

I am not sure if this question has already been answered so please forgive me if it has. I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble using products like Fiebings leather balm atom wax then finishing with Sno Seal. I bought a bottle of the atom wax a couple years ago and plan to use it to help condition a jacket I recently deglazed and re dyed. Upon receiving a little more information I decided I would like to use Sno Seal to finish the jacket, as it will likely be a little more water proof. I know some people arent crazy about the leather balm, but i am wanting to try it if no one flat out thinks it is a bad idea. I realize it will require a good bit of buffing (it already has just with the dye) but could I use the leather balm atom wax first, to help add moisture to the leather, then finish with the sno seal to help keep the jacket water proofed to some extent? Or would doing that cause a problem? Could using the two waxes on the same piece cause one or the other to underperform? Ive read how the sno seal itself isn't a conditioner so I thought if I used the leather balm atom wax first it would work just fine for what I'm wanting. Thank you for any pointers, its much appreciated :)

I really don't know but wax may act like a barrier to the sno seal? 

Having used both products, but NOT together, I would seriously question using Sno Seal on a jacket. It will darken your color drastically, and I'm not sure you can ever BUFF it enough to have a good "feel".

On 1/22/2021 at 6:16 AM, smithjonnn said:

I am not sure if this question has already been answered so please forgive me if it has. I was wondering if anyone has had any trouble using products like Fiebings leather balm atom wax then finishing with Sno Seal. I bought a bottle of the atom wax a couple years ago and plan to use it to help condition a jacket I recently deglazed and re dyed. Upon receiving a little more information I decided I would like to use Sno Seal to finish the jacket, as it will likely be a little more water proof. I know some people arent crazy about the leather balm, but i am wanting to try it if no one flat out thinks it is a bad idea. I realize it will require a good bit of buffing (it already has just with the dye) but could I use the leather balm atom wax first, to help add moisture to the leather, then finish with the sno seal to help keep the jacket water proofed to some extent? Or would doing that cause a problem? Could using the two waxes on the same piece cause one or the other to underperform? Ive read how the sno seal itself isn't a conditioner so I thought if I used the leather balm atom wax first it would work just fine for what I'm wanting. Thank you for any pointers, its much appreciated :)

I would suggest treating/conditioning the jacket with Atom wax and let it soak in for 24-48 hours before applying anything else on top of it. As an alternative to Sno-Seal, which I don't think will work well on a jacket, I would offer up that you look at a DWR finish that's made for leather, like the one in this link.

http://www.nikwax-usa.com/en-us/products/waterproofing-wax-for-leather-liquid/