Ferryman

Lacing Twine ?

Hi folks.

I am working on the project and the instruction refer to “Lacing Twine” try as a might I cannot find any of the regular suppliers here in UK listing it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I'd never heard of lacing twine till now. A quick Search of Google and YouTube shows that it is used to bind, secure and tie down electrical and optical cables used in the electrical and aviation industries

I've just Searched Google for 'lacing twine UK' and there are several suppliers. But it seems to me that any similar large diameter thread or thin cord would do 

Also Search Google for 'lacing cord'

Edited by zuludog

Thanks Zuludog.

You came up with the same results I did.

I was hoping our American cousins might have been able to throw some light on it.

I was hoping to get a red thread to contrast with the black.

By chance, someone on a knife making Forum has been asking about the choice of thread. Besides the usual sorts of thread and sup[pliers, one suggestion was Marlow Whipping Twine, which is used to whip or bind the ends of ropes

It looks interesting; Search google accordingly 

This is all i could come with. Looking at some of it maybe Tiger thread would be a alternative.

https://rope-source.co.uk/product-category/twines/

Hope this helps

JCUK

how old is your pattern/ instructions many times things have been renamed over the course of time.

or maybe scan the instructions so we can see how the word is used, it may help us to understand what you are attempting to make.

Edited by chuck123wapati

12 hours ago, zuludog said:

I'd never heard of lacing twine till now. A quick Search of Google and YouTube shows that it is used to bind, secure and tie down electrical and optical cables used in the electrical and aviation industries

I've just Searched Google for 'lacing twine UK' and there are several suppliers. But it seems to me that any similar large diameter thread or thin cord would do 

Also Search Google for 'lacing cord'

what i found also It does resemble regular leather lace as it is woven flat and appears to be about the same thickness and width of leather lacing. 

I use some lacing cord from time to time. I've only ever seen it in white and black. It is flatter and wider than regular hand sewing thread but when you pull it tight to sew it skinnies up similar to hand sewing thread. Let me see if I can grab a pic or so to compare.

8819FFDC-52BC-44F5-9137-D8E61DBDA523.jpeg

Edited by battlemunky
Add comparison pic

I believe it has similar tensile strength compared to hand sewing thread as well. It doesn't lay as fancy as thread so I only use it in places it doesn't matter.

What about 1mm round leather lace.?

I get it from an ebay seller. Its available in many colours

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Real-Round-Leather-Cord-1-mm-String-Lace-Thong-for-Jewellery-Necklace-Genuine-HQ/132939661899?var=432459571095

I made mini brass needles to use with it. The needles are made from 1.2mm brass tube.

Thank you folks for all your help.

I have ordered some of the leather lace fredk recomended

Cable lacing twine is the same as what is used for leather lacing. The difference is the size of the cable lacing twine is larger, I believe it is referred to as 9 strand. Basically the same as sewing thread where you have various sizes from 69 to 138, 20, 277 etc. Cable lacing twine is normally either black or white in color and is always waxed. In my younger days I laced miles of communication cables in telephone company central offices. That is pretty much a lost art these days, cable ties are much quicker.

I know a couple old cable splicers that still know how to sew cable.  The 9-ply is still available but the needles are hard to come by.

I hadn't thought of using it to sew leather...