Rahere

Ancient instruments

As a placeholder, leather was used in a number of really ancient instruments

• As a chordophone resonator, for example in the Senegalese Kora, and other folk harps and lyres. 
  • As a structural cover, for example in the cornett (note the double t - this is not a trumpet) and serpent
  • As a drumskin (and still is, in folk instruments such as the bohran, where the stretch of veg tan is used to offer pitch change).
  • The whip

I remember reading that the bodhran is traditionally goat skin. I'm quite sure that mine is, at least. 

On a damp day, bodhran players will hold the drum near a fire or other heat source to tighten up the skin and bring it to the desired pitch before playing it. 

I forget where I picked up this tidbit of information - I think I briefly dated someone who owned a bodhran. Also have friends who are into folk music, plus I was a big fan of the Irish Rovers. 

Edited by Sheilajeanne

8 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

On a damp day, bodhran players will hold the drum near a fire or other heat source to tighten up the skin and bring it to the desired pitch before playing it. 

Some of us have tunable bodhrans, especially useful in areas which have a wide range of temperatures and humidity to deal with (unlike Ireland, for example.)  Mine has held up pretty well over...hmm...let me think...30 years at least, from the high deserts of Utah to the wet Lowlands of western Washington.

Brendan White makes the tunables. I was taught by Stiophan Hannigan, using a large shallow one by comparison. You need a crossbar or two set just under a fist's width below the akin, so you can damp it and keeep it stretched as desireb - this is how to get a number of notes from it, don't hold it in the centre. Use a water spray to keep it damp.

Tsunka, that's HILARIOUS!! Thanks for posting! :lol:

The late Fred Graham, the percussionist for the Irish Rovers, used to make bodhrans: http://www.ardglen-bodhrans.com/?fbclid=IwAR3l89poUtN2YZZMe4osn9vXtjBuWzfrnNEIjMqq8oKHtMdFhwyv5WF7Mbs

As he mentions, pipes also have airtight bags, often poly these days, though, but originally greased sheepskin, and also in elbow bellows.

That's fascinating! I had no idea that leather played such diverse roles in ancient instruments. Leather's versatility never ceases to impress! If you're interested in exploring more about music and instruments, you might want to check out the McNeela Music store. They have a wide range of instruments and resources. Happy exploring!

Edited by Dusus123

Thank you for your contribution to the discussion on ancient instruments. It's intriguing to revisit this thread after two years and reflect on the valuable insights you provided regarding the use of leather in various musical instruments throughout history.

On 8/5/2023 at 12:41 AM, VincentBell said:

Thank you for your contribution to the discussion on ancient instruments. It's intriguing to revisit this thread after two years and reflect on the valuable insights you provided regarding the use of leather in various musical instruments throughout history.

The information you shared about leather being employed as a chordophone resonator in instruments like the Senegalese Kora, and its application as a structural cover in the cornett and serpent, highlights the ingenuity of ancient musicians in utilizing natural materials to create music.
Furthermore, the mention of leather's continued use as a drumskin in folk instruments like the bodhran drum reinforces the timelessness of certain musical traditions and techniques.

3 hours ago, VincentBell said:

The information you shared about leather being employed as a chordophone resonator in instruments like the Senegalese Kora, and its application as a structural cover in the cornett and serpent, highlights the ingenuity of ancient musicians in utilizing natural materials to create music.
Furthermore, the mention of leather's continued use as a drumskin in folk instruments like the bodhran drum reinforces the timelessness of certain musical traditions and techniques.

Contrary to what we are taught, the lions share of human development and knowledge has come from the average person and his or her ability to observe. Science has had little positive influence in the whole scheme of life throughout the evolution of the human species.