Sign in to follow this  
Janis

Saddle Identification please

:dunno:Hi, I'm in my 60's now.  I purchased this saddle with $50 and a summer of mucking out a cow barn.  That was 1973 and I was 13.  It needs a good cleaning and I started that today.  The only possible identification I can locate is what looks like a round stamp, half dollar size, that has been worn off for decades.  I think it was already worn off when I took possession in the 70's.  I'm thinkin' it was already 20-30 years old when I got it.  The stamp is located on the seat right behind the pommel.  I'm not even sure what type it is, reining, trail, etc.  Would really appreciate any ideas...  P1040817.JPG.4449a0e3eb439d9b905f73e5aba4d097.JPG  Thanks!  Janis 

P1040804.JPG

P1040812.JPG

P1040813.JPG

P1040808.JPG

That looks like a Bona Allen stamp to me.  You can Google them.  They had a long and interesting history.  I would say late 1940's (?) model.  Cantles and swells were getting lower by the 50's. That long ago, saddles weren't as specialized as they are now.  Mostly there were roping saddles and riding saddles. While this one has double Dee ring rigging, the rigging leather itself looks a little light to be roping anything.

Hopefully someone comes along that is better at dating these saddles and knows the history of the US companies better than I do.

Thank you tons!  I've been searching and the Bona Allen's are the first I've seen that are at all similar.  The only ones I've seen with the square skirt or whatever they're called.  I spent thousands of enjoyable hours in that saddle.  I always thought they called it a pleasure saddle.  When I was a kid I rode bare back a lot just cuz the saddle was so heavy lugging it on and off the horse.  Thanks again!  I'm goin' snoopin' on the Allen's site!

11 hours ago, Janis said:

Thank you tons!  I've been searching and the Bona Allen's are the first I've seen that are at all similar.  The only ones I've seen with the square skirt or whatever they're called.  I spent thousands of enjoyable hours in that saddle.  I always thought they called it a pleasure saddle.  When I was a kid I rode bare back a lot just cuz the saddle was so heavy lugging it on and off the horse.  Thanks again!  I'm goin' snoopin' on the Allen's site!

You're welcome.  I well remember the time when I rode bareback because I was too small to saddle a horse, and I also well remember the day I realized I was big enough/strong enough to saddle one.  Funny thing is, it turned out I still preferred riding bareback for a long time after I could saddle my own.  I couldn't feel my horse through the saddle; it placed me further back and it felt like I was "behind the motion".  Good luck and happy searching.

I rode bareback for years as a kid cause I couldn't afford a saddle.  I remember riding someones horse with a saddle one day.  Couldn't get the feel, was bouncing all over the place.  Had to kick my feet out of the stirrups!  Then my ankles were getting clobbered by the stirrups flapping all over the place.  Wasn't too interested in a saddle anymore!

Hardware can be pretty time specific. Brass is either new or pre war. Aluminum is newest (probably post war) while plated steel is from the war years, generally speaking. Screw heads have time periods, too.