immiketoo

The latest weights.

2 hours ago, immiketoo said:

I bought BK's petal lifters but they are so flat and round they seem to cut the leather, especially the smaller size one.

JayEl, I asked someone about using petal lifters recently, and they said they DO cut the leather. It helps that the leather they use is top grade Herman Oak, but they also said they practiced a lot first to make sure they didn't accidentally tear the leather instead of cutting it. 

6 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

I couldn't find any tools by Ed. Anyone have the link?

All I found were obituaries!!  :unsure::o

There are no links.  Only Facebook, no websites.

2 minutes ago, spacedog said:

These are just as impressive as the rest, Mike, but that maple leaf is outstanding. Very nicely done.

Thank you.  For some reason that was the most popular online as well!

1 minute ago, Sheilajeanne said:

JayEl, I asked someone about using petal lifters recently, and they said they DO cut the leather. It helps that the leather they use is top grade Herman Oak, but they also said they practiced a lot first to make sure they didn't accidentally tear the leather instead of cutting it. 

Yes all petal lifters regardless of type will pierce the grain of the leather.  How they do it is a little different from each other though.  The pro lifters like Ed and Grey Ghost make are easier to use for me.

1 hour ago, Sheilajeanne said:

I couldn't find any tools by Ed. Anyone have the link?

Here you go:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057211549314

Thank you!

Wow, his tools are works of art!  :o

Edited by Sheilajeanne

1 hour ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Thank you!

Wow, his tools are works of art!  :o

Yes they are

On 8/18/2021 at 12:13 PM, Sheilajeanne said:

whoops, missed this.  Thanks for the insight.  I thought I was doing something wrong and have been trying to be more careful and trying to gently push through the corners by hand instead of using the mallet, especially the bigger ones.  Kind of like a rounded end modeling tool.   The ones from Ed seem to be thicker/blunt which is what I think I'm looking for.   The right tool for the right job!    

Thanks!

32 minutes ago, JayEhl said:

whoops, missed this.  Thanks for the insight.  I thought I was doing something wrong and have been trying to be more careful and trying to gently push through the corners by hand instead of using the mallet, especially the bigger ones.  Kind of like a rounded end modeling tool.   The ones from Ed seem to be thicker/blunt which is what I think I'm looking for.   The right tool for the right job!    

Thanks!

They’re both right for the job, it’s just a matter of how to use them, and when to use them in the carving process.  Ed’s are wicked sharp on the leading edge.  Far sharper than the stamp type, but they are used much differently.  If you want I’ll do a quick video to demonstrate.

Here’s a quick video demonstrating the differences between standard and pro petal lifters.

20 minutes ago, immiketoo said:

video demonstrating

Just watched your video.  BIG help, thanks.  I have a craft tool molding tool with what appears to be a petal lifter on both sides but different sizes.   I got them as a gift early summer but haven't used it yet, thinking they would be used for molding embossed art work.  I'll have to give it a go to check out the process.  But definitely something other than BK's are on my list.  

Thank you so much!

1 minute ago, JayEhl said:

Just watched your video.  BIG help, thanks.  I have a craft tool molding tool with what appears to be a petal lifter on both sides but different sizes.   I got them as a gift early summer but haven't used it yet, thinking they would be used for molding embossed art work.  I'll have to give it a go to check out the process.  But definitely something other than BK's are on my list.  

Thank you so much!

You are quite welcome!.  If your modeling spoon ones are sharp enough, they will work, but it may be difficult to push them since they are sharp on both sides.   Let me know how they work for you!

22 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Thank you!! Great little video!

Glad you enjoyed it :)

Ok, those weights look really cool, all covered with leather n Stuff. I went over to Crackle Barrel and purchased an ashtray that looks like a cast iron frying pan. I melt the lead tire weights into disc. I guess I could melt em down and put a leather coat on them. They look pretty cool