berninicaco3

machines on craigslist: what can handle 12oz net thickness?

Hello!

I want to do two things with leather.

upholstery,
and
cordswaining

my immediate interest is upholstery:  my car's two front seats (punching through foam backing + 3oz leather x 2 layers).  I'd like to be done before Christmas.  That might be a challenge so I'll at least practice with a simple leather seat cushion for my wood office chair, then a leather seat back, THEN do the car seats.  Also, I have a donor pair of seats from the junkyard so the car can remain driveable!  Later, I'd like to reupholster a piano bench with a diamond tufted cushion.

Next summer, I want to make my own shoes, boots, and sandals, so thicker leather than the upholstery.

There are a few machines for sale near me on craigslist and fb marketplace,

consew 255RB-3

consew 255RB-3 (different seller)

consew 206rb-4

adler 30-1 (painted grey, 1970s?)

Juki DNU-1541S

price factors in of course but that's a separate discussion that I can haggle for myself.

My question here for the forum, is which of the above options will do upholstery with 3oz leather + backing, and hopefully also be up to the task of boots and sandals?

I did google each of them, and superficially it seems like all of them would do it except maybe the consew 206rb-4.

thanks for the advice!!

Bernie

edit:
I live on Oahu, Hawaii. 
this limits options (can't just drive 3 hours to another state).  There's a beautiful modern machine on the Big Island for example, just 200 miles away but might as well be Italy for the shipping charges that would incur!

I have NOT called around, but I bet there are local dealers who could bring in a brand new machine with their next regular shipment, if there are brand new machines of really good value.  I'm just so used to buying used to save money, but, it doesn't always work out that way.  Definitely a risk with like the Adler, if it turns out to need parts I can't source.

Edited by berninicaco3

Being a upholsterer,  leatherworker, and cordwainer I recommend the 1541s or the consew206rb4, both are horizontal axis compound feed machines with safety clutches and have large M bobbins. The juki shows as belt drive if used be sure it's not a factory machine they run those things to death. Being made in Japan a plus.  The Consew has a pinion gear drive and I have never had to adjust, just add grease.  I don't know the country of mfg. of the 206rb4.  The main problem with used machines are bad adjustments on feed dog, inner and outer foot balance on feet. 

When you got that seatcushion under your foot and run out of bobbin, just reach under replace without moving the cushion. On vertical axis machines you have to get to top loading bobbin and than have to hold thread to prevent the terrible thread jam.

Remember if it's use'd there is a reason.  Good dealers are an exception.  Good Luck

Edited by Wizcrafts
I removed the numerous blank lines from this reply.

4 hours ago, berninicaco3 said:

my immediate interest is upholstery: 

4 hours ago, berninicaco3 said:

I want to make my own shoes, boots, and sandals, so thicker leather than the upholstery.

You can't go wrong with a Juki as they are what a lot of the clones copied and parts / accessories are readily available. That said all lot will depend on how the machine has been cared for. If any of those machines were used in a commercial setting they probably are being sold for a reason. The Juki DNU- 1541S will do the upholstery work but as for shoes, boots etc being sewn to soles you will need a heavier weight machine. Upholstery class machines can handle about 3/8" thick material or less depending on the material. I would check / look for leads with the local sewing machine dealers, repair shops, shoe repair shops as well as places that do tack repairs like horse riding / polo clubs and companies that do upholstery work.

kgg

8 hours ago, ljk said:

Good Luck

What makes you add so many empty lines after your comments?

Screenshot-20211117-0726.png

I don't know.  There was a period about 10 minutes when my you tube and leatherworker went crazy.  Then it cleared up.

Edited by Wizcrafts
I edited out ten blank lines again

shoot, the Juki 1541S seller is AFK (not replying).   the consew 206 is sold.  

The adler 30-1 seller replied; the machine has a new consew servo motor and appears operational, wants $600.  It's an old machine, would it be a serious mistake?  It should be up to the task of shoes for sure, and at least do some upholstery if not really ideal for it?

there's a "Juki DDL-9000C SMS"  but when I googled it it seems not suited for thick material maybe.

Edited by berninicaco3

14 minutes ago, berninicaco3 said:

It's an old machine, would it be a serious mistake? 

It wouldn't be my first choice. The parts are probably going to be to be expensive should it require any. I stay away from Alder and Pfaff machines for two reasons replacement parts and accessories are much more expensive then other manufacturers in my location and the machines are difficult to sell. I also stay away from any machine with build in electronic functions as I like to keep my machines as simple and cost effective as possible. I would check the availability and cost of replacement parts for the Alder in your area.

kgg

There is quite a bit of skill learning to get good results from a Patcher as you only have one hand free unless you either treadle or fit a servo 

damm, still nothing heard back from the $1000   1541s dude.  

The $600 adler is tempting me, and this seems silly, but also simply due to the tiny footprint it requires.  I have limited space at home, and sewing isn't my only hobby, so the ability to tuck it away into a 2.5-square-foot corner when I'm not making boots is a huge plus, while many machines take an entire table's worth of space.   

We were having trouble getting the tension adjusted correctly when the seller demo'd the adler 30-1, hoping that's not indicative of a mechanical issue.  it was operational, and was already fitted with a servo

I do have photos here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12g0BVLhpEGUAD62kyghb7eDOYLUhNPP9?usp=sharing

Edited by berninicaco3

2 hours ago, berninicaco3 said:

We were having trouble getting the tension adjusted correctly when the seller demo'd the adler 30-1, hoping that's not indicative of a mechanical issue.  it was operational, and was already fitted with a servo

Having a sewing machine demo'd by the owner and they can't get it running right is a real red flag for me. Why is the owner wanting to sell it???? Problems not being mentioned??? To me if an owner can't get their own machine running right then the machine is worth little more then it's scrap value or at least a drastic drop in price to help cover possible repairs.

The clutch motor is another red flag as to how fast the machine was operated at prior to the new servo motor being installed. Typical speed on those clutch motors is either 1725 or 3450. Any speed reduction???

The servo motor control panel indicated it was running at 1600 rpm but what was the actual rpm's the machine was run at. Any speed reduction?  Most of the Singers Patchers shouldn't be run at much more then 500 rpm's but the Alder maybe different.

2 hours ago, berninicaco3 said:

I have limited space at home, and sewing isn't my only hobby, so the ability to tuck it away into a 2.5-square-foot corner when I'm not making boots is a huge plus, while many machines take an entire table's worth of space.   

Another option that may fit your needs if space is a real concern are the portable walking foot sewing machine's like Sailrite Ultrafeed and Reliable Barracuda, to name a couple.

kgg

That 30-1 is a long arm, but small bobbin patcher. The bobbins only hold a handful of yards of #69 thread. It is a low lift model, like the Singer patchers, which limits the thickness and stitch length. The torsion bar pressure spring on the back will hammer the teeth on the foot into the top grain mercilessly.

Now, if you want to attend motorcycle events and sew patches onto bikers' vests, that is the machine for the job!