toxo

Skivers

3 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Here are a couple of pictures from the set up up on my Fortuna that may help ....

DSC00569_resize.JPG

DSC00570_resize.JPG

DSC05257_resize.JPG

DSC05260_resize.JPG

Re the vacuum ...consider just letting it run always when the machine is on. Just put a switch to turn it of or on when you need to sharpen perhaps. The Fortuna and the FAV machine I have have the vacuum always running when the machine is running.

I'm gobsmacked. The most important pics for my question and I didn't post em. I still don't know how the clutch lever engages/disengages the stone. The only way I can see is if the pulley cluster is in two separate sets and the sideways movement of the lever separates or brings the two sets together but my pulley train is as one and I can't separate any of it so how does the damn thing work???

I have no idea if there's anything missing from the shaft but in the interim I drilled out that sheared pin and replaced it with a round headed set screw to no avail.

On the vacuum side I experimented with the position of the scoop and ended up putting it where yours is. The good thing is I managed to fine tune the chain switch so initially the vac doesn't come on but there's enough speed to sharpen the knife. If I want to skive a little more pressure on the treadle starts the vac.

Apart from the clutch thing it's all good.

P1010737.JPG

P1010740.JPG

11 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Here are a couple of pictures from the set up up on my Fortuna that may help ....

DSC00569_resize.JPG

DSC00570_resize.JPG

DSC05257_resize.JPG

DSC05260_resize.JPG

Re the vacuum ...consider just letting it run always when the machine is on. Just put a switch to turn it of or on when you need to sharpen perhaps. The Fortuna and the FAV machine I have have the vacuum always running when the machine is running.

I think I've got it. The pulley train IS in two parts (see the pic) and the clutch can only move part of the train backwards but my train seems to be one solid unit so can't move back. So much pressure has been applied to the clutch shaft causing it to deform. I can only assume (hope) the bolts numbered S141 need adjusting to bring things back to normal by letting the two stone pulleys to come forward and thus be free of the drive.

P1010755.JPG

Great news (for me)! A bit of judicious force with a screwdriver, a faint crack and the two pulley clusters came unstuck. Everything is now working as it should.

I tried to skive today with a utility knife.  Big mistake.  7 stitches late I'm taking a little break from my bag work.  I can't hold a needle in my left hand.

The good news is I got Stohman's book on stitching and am learning a few tricks I never new.

Ouch.    I cut my finger in early Nov. sharpening knives I was using to cut tomatoes.   Sorry to hear you have that many stitches.    When they removed the stitches, I found using Vit. E cream (I purchased it at Walmart) on the scar was helpful as it continued to heal and close up.  

Why does it always happen with a new blade? 

I went back in the garage today to try to finish my project doing the stitching needed.  No cutting any leather.  Fortunately I cut extra pieces just in case.  One side plate was off by 1/8th and I didn't find it until I was stitching it up.

Cut.jpg