WalterF

4 Finger Cigar Case

12 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Wow cedar huh. That has a strong odor, wouldn't transfer to the cigar's?:dunno:

Most of the larger box humidors are all lined with cedar.  The largest portable humidor I have made is a 3-finger.  I have not added any lining to it.  Most of the time, I leave my cigars in the cellophane wrap they came in.  I have had no issue with transfer of smell or anything to affect the taste.

Well thats good to know. I'm not a smoker ,but thinkin about tryin a cigar

Not just "cedar". Cigars are stored with "Spanish Cedar". It's different than what you find in the lumber store. Far less aromatic.

What I've seen most guys do for a lining in these, is to just get a few cigars that are wrapped in cedar (the right kind). Unwrap it from the cigar and stuff it in holder. It works great. 

For a form, you can simply use dowels the appropriate size screwed together. Keep in mind that there many different "vitolas"...which basically means size...in thickness and length. So it's better to go a little bigger than the average size the smoker uses. 

And yes......cigars aren't just for guys. I work a bit in a cigar shop. The ladies are a big part of our business. 

And last but not least.....great job!

On 2/14/2022 at 9:53 AM, Bert03241 said:

Well thats good to know. I'm not a smoker ,but thinkin about tryin a cigar

That's probably not going to work out well for you.  I'm a smoker.  I smoke cigarettes regular and pipes on occasion...and where I enjoy a good cigar I can't do it very often because of the hangover they give me.  

Cigars are strong...they make a lot of people sick if they aren't tolerant of that much tobacco.  

A good cigar starts at $20 each...most are double that.  Some get up to outrageous prices.  

5 hours ago, SickMick said:

Not just "cedar". Cigars are stored with "Spanish Cedar". It's different than what you find in the lumber store. Far less aromatic.

What I've seen most guys do for a lining in these, is to just get a few cigars that are wrapped in cedar (the right kind). Unwrap it from the cigar and stuff it in holder. It works great. 

For a form, you can simply use dowels the appropriate size screwed together. Keep in mind that there many different "vitolas"...which basically means size...in thickness and length. So it's better to go a little bigger than the average size the smoker uses. 

And yes......cigars aren't just for guys. I work a bit in a cigar shop. The ladies are a big part of our business. 

And last but not least.....great job!

I wasn't aware that some cigars are cedar wrapped. I just knew that the good cases were often lined in cedar. Thanks for the tip.  

4 hours ago, johnnydb said:

That's probably not going to work out well for you.  I'm a smoker.  I smoke cigarettes regular and pipes on occasion...and where I enjoy a good cigar I can't do it very often because of the hangover they give me.  

Cigars are strong...they make a lot of people sick if they aren't tolerant of that much tobacco.  

A good cigar starts at $20 each...most are double that.  Some get up to outrageous prices.  

I don't know where you buy your cigar but every thing I read says I can get good cigars from $5 to 10 bucks

6 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Romeo & Julieta tubes come with a lining of cedar veneer.

Cool...I'm going to look today and ask for a couple.  (I hang out with my business partner in one...I don't smoke the cigars or drink beer but I do drink the root beer they got on tap) 

Surely they will have a couple they can let me have.  That way I can make a case lined with cedar... maybe even get a couple of the tubes to wet form some leather with.  

6 hours ago, johnnydb said:

Cool...I'm going to look today and ask for a couple.  (I hang out with my business partner in one...I don't smoke the cigars or drink beer but I do drink the root beer they got on tap) 

Surely they will have a couple they can let me have.  That way I can make a case lined with cedar... maybe even get a couple of the tubes to wet form some leather with.  

you can use a 3/4" wood dowel to wet form. their cheap and work great. I bought a 4' one from HD cut 4   8" pieces and now can make a 1,2,3 or 4 cigar case,

Yeah...you can find a cigar you like in the $10 range pretty easily. Lots of good choices these days. It's just a matter f trying a few. If you're a beginner, stick with a milder one.

I've never smoked a cigar but thinking of trying one any suggestions 10 to 15$

Edited by Bert03241

This is one of my favorites...typically less than $10 each

Alec Bradley Prensado - Robusto size

Team Cigar Review: Alec Bradley Prensado Lost Art Robusto - Developing  Palates - Cigar, Beer and Spirit Reviews and Ratings

On 2/22/2022 at 12:05 PM, Bert03241 said:

I've never smoked a cigar but thinking of trying one any suggestions 10 to 15$

Thanks Pastor Bob , I still haven't trid one maybe I'll look for that one:yes:

I keep thinking about this topic.  A friend here in town has a cigar shop and he’s a big golfer, he takes 3 cigars with him whenever he plays, so I thought it’d be nice to make him a 3 cigar case.  I was surprised when I watched the posted video that the leather was not wet formed, only held in shape and had a creaser run around the edges, unless they cut a step out of the video. Has anyone tried this?  Does the leather hold it’s shape?  Once I finish my current project I’d like to make one, who knows maybe I’ll find a niche market. 

On 3/12/2022 at 2:39 AM, Tequila said:

I keep thinking about this topic.  A friend here in town has a cigar shop and he’s a big golfer, he takes 3 cigars with him whenever he plays, so I thought it’d be nice to make him a 3 cigar case.  I was surprised when I watched the posted video that the leather was not wet formed, only held in shape and had a creaser run around the edges, unless they cut a step out of the video. Has anyone tried this?  Does the leather hold it’s shape?  Once I finish my current project I’d like to make one, who knows maybe I’ll find a niche market. 

I always wet mold mine.  Haven't tried it without.  

I dyed , cut and engraved the leather today for my attempt at a cigar case:yes: