LOM

Right angle molded leather desk blotter

I am trying to make a desk blotter that has a small lip on the end, at a right angle, to protect the desk edge.

I used about a 7oz veg tan that I wet and bent over a piece of 90degree smooth quartz that I found at a remnant store. Clipped down another piece of smooth quartz on top of it about a week. 

initially it had a good right angle but over time it’s flattening out. what did I do wrong? 

Molded 90 degree

60175A7C-79C9-4889-8F65-2C282AEBD71D.jpeg

40B9B353-50B7-442A-BA04-9264800EEA26.jpeg

Edited by LOM
Added photo

I'm not for certain but I think you need to gouge out a line from the under side? 

This might help explain better: 

If you wet the leather (wet molding ), and gouge a channel,  then press the angle you want and allow to dry it will  have a better chance of staying  at the 90 degree angle. 

9 minutes ago, rleather said:

If you wet the leather (wet molding ), and gouge a channel,  then press the angle you want and allow to dry it will  have a better chance of staying  at the 90 degree angle. 

:16:

I would also take it a bit PAST 90 to allow for the inevitable 'relaxation' that comes after release.

2 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

I would also take it a bit PAST 90 to allow for the inevitable 'relaxation' that comes after release.

:17:

9 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

:16:

:thankyou:

7 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

Good thought!

9 hours ago, JayEhl said:

I'm not for certain but I think you need to gouge out a line from the under side? 

This is great, thank you!

has any one tried metals reinforcements? Like a thin sheet metal that could be attached by rivet? I’ve seen that in cheaper vinyl , leather lookalike blotters and wondering if that’s worth trying.

Is the pad two layers? I wud try some thin sheet aluminium double-sided taped to the top piece and covered by the bottom piece which has been sewn on. Aluminium, from a cleaned drinks can and about 2 inches wide

On 2/16/2022 at 7:52 AM, JayEhl said:

This is great, thank you!

has any one tried metals reinforcements? Like a thin sheet metal that could be attached by rivet? I’ve seen that in cheaper vinyl , leather lookalike blotters and wondering if that’s worth trying.

@fredk interesting! I may give this a shot!

Edited by LOM