rodneyv

Threads for holsters, sheaths, pouches, etc.

I've been doing leather work several years now and getting better with each new project.  I have a question I need help with.  I have only used Ritza Tiger thread in  0.6mm, 0.8mm, and 1.0mm.  I'm always using 3.0mm, 3.38mm, 3.85mm, and 4.0mm stitching irons. I do alot of gun holsters, knife sheaths of all sizes, pouches, etc.  I just have no idea what thread I should try next, Ritza Tiger thread is all I know and I like the 3 sizes of Ritza I use so if I try a different thread, what sizes correlate to the 0.6mm, 0.8mm , and 1.0mm and what is a good thread to try for holsters, sheaths, pouches, etc.

7 minutes ago, rodneyv said:

I've been doing leather work several years now and getting better with each new project.  I have a question I need help with.  I have only used Ritza Tiger thread in  0.6mm, 0.8mm, and 1.0mm.  I'm always using 3.0mm, 3.38mm, 3.85mm, and 4.0mm stitching irons. I do alot of gun holsters, knife sheaths of all sizes, pouches, etc.  I just have no idea what thread I should try next, Ritza Tiger thread is all I know and I like the 3 sizes of Ritza I use so if I try a different thread, what sizes correlate to the 0.6mm, 0.8mm , and 1.0mm and what is a good thread to try for holsters, sheaths, pouches, etc.

Why would you want to change? That is some of the best IMO.

I am wondering the same as CHUCK - Ritza is excellent thread, and the preferred choice for many leatherworkers, including acknowledged experts such as Ian Atkinson and Nigel Armitage, so if you're happy with Ritza there's no need to change

However, you might like to try a few other makes, just to see. For synthetic thread, in the relatively large diameters used for hand sewing the diameter is usually given in mm. It is only when you use the thinner diameters used for machine sewing that things get complicated & confusing, as there are several systems in use

Shop around and try if you wish; I like Twist thread from Rocky Mountain Leather Supply, both synthetic and linen, which is the Chinese Yue Fung thread rebranded by RMLS.

Linen thread is traditional, and some people don't like using synthetic on leather; on the other hand synthetic is stronger and doesn't rot. If you want to try linen, again RMLS sell Twist in linen., and the French Fil au Chinois is another good make of linen thread. But usually the diameter of linen thread is not given directly, there are two systems in use. Besides the diameters in mm RMLS also give the diameter in the French system, and a conversion table between the two

There is another system for measuring the diameter of linen thread, the British system. Size 18/3 is about 0,6mm but I don't know the others. It's useful to know if you see it used anywhere 

There's nothing wrong with Ritza, but by all means shop around and try a few others if you wish, it all depends on how much you're willing to spend. Search YouTube for  'thread for leatherwork' there are a few videos

Leathercraft Supplies – Rocky Mountain Leather Supply (rmleathersupply.com)

Tandy have several types of thread available, but the only one I've tried is Waxed Nylon Thread SKU 1227, and I quite like it; the short rolls are cheap enough to try

Tandy Leather — Tandy Leather, Inc.

Edited by zuludog

I use waxed linen in 3, 4, and 5 ply. MM wise I have no idea, but it's the only tread I use.

I use the same thickness thread, but use Rhino thread (or maybe it's Rino) from Springfield Leather.  It's a good thread and comes in many colors.  I think it is less expensive than Ritza.

Thanks for the replies.  As far as why I would want to change from Ritza Tiger thread.....it's just the curiosity of wanting to test out other threads because Tiger Thread is all I know.  I have zero complaints with Tiger thread.  Tiger thread has a somewhat flat profile and I just see and handle a lot of leather items and most seem to have a more rounded profile thread, so I thought I might test some other threads out. I just didn't know what I should be looking for.

1 hour ago, rodneyv said:

Thanks for the replies.  As far as why I would want to change from Ritza Tiger thread.....it's just the curiosity of wanting to test out other threads because Tiger Thread is all I know.  I have zero complaints with Tiger thread.  Tiger thread has a somewhat flat profile and I just see and handle a lot of leather items and most seem to have a more rounded profile thread, so I thought I might test some other threads out. I just didn't know what I should be looking for.

Fair enough. I think many people try a few different types of thread when they start, it's just a question of looking at a few suppliers and seeing what you fancy. If you ask them nicely they might just send you a few samples to try.

MEISI thread is good, though I don't know a supplier in the USA, you could try Searching. They have a range of several different threads which can be a bit confusing. They have linen thread under the Meisi brand, and two types of polyester worth considering - WeiXin and XianGe which is polyester made to look like linen. 

Ellen at leatherworking school has a relatively informative document comparing the different threads option Mainly Ritza Tiger, Vinymo, Meisi, and Fil au Chinois (Toulemonde). It is all a matter of taste. My personal opinion (take it with a grain of salt) is since you are doing Holster and knife sheath and pouches, I would stick with the flat Tiger thread it is more robust looking more earthy, rustic  looking color and comes pre-waxed. Vinymo is round not waxed but the colours are more vivid I like doing small wallet and passport cover and find that Ritza looks really chunky compare to Vinymo even the #5 vs Tiger .6 and #8 is even thinner. I have not try Meisi yet but hopefully soon. As far as supplier goes DLS sell Vinymo (order a roll they are cheaper than Ritza and order the color guide they have so many colors).  Leatherwork School carry Meisi. I would really want to know about WUTA thread but nobody seems to use it. 

I have used bonded nylon and Tiger thread for hand stitching.

The advantages to nylon thread are slightly more tensile strength per strand, abrasion resistance, and as far as I can tell, it is used in almost all commercial holsters.

Tiger thread is polyester and expensive because it is braided. If fishing line is any indication, braided thread should be about 3 times stronger that twisted thread. Also, braided thread will lie flatter than twisted thread, so that should help with abrasion resistance. And if you are hand sewing, you are probably not using enough that cost is a huge issue (still an issue though).

So that leaves the only advantage of nylon thread is that it is the de facto choice. My thinking is that if you deviate from the norms, you need to be able to explain why you are doing so. With tiger thread, that is not hard: its braided, it lies flat, it is impervious to sunlight.

As a side note, I remember one short lived holster company that advertised that they used left hand twist nylon thread. They said it was plainly better than right hand twist thread, but offered no explanation as to why. They went out of business before I or anyone could figure out why that would even make a difference.

COS

I use 346 bonded nylon.  Finally found a new source for the hard bonded natural.  All my normal places have gone to soft bonded and it frays more than I like.  

1 hour ago, chiefjason said:

I use 346 bonded nylon.  Finally found a new source for the hard bonded natural.  All my normal places have gone to soft bonded and it frays more than I like.  

When you have a minute . . . shoot me the name and address of the source . . . would really appreciate it.

May God bless,

Dwight