Maint1517

Show your sewing machine setup

On 2/26/2022 at 7:04 PM, Maint1517 said:

I’m going to an industrial Pfaff sewing machine for stitching holsters, sheathes and other items.

4 hours ago, Maint1517 said:

And I was wrong about the model number. It’s a model 60. 

The PFAFF 60 is a domestic sewing machine made for sewing fabric not leather even through it was probably advertised as a "heavy duty" and or "industrial strength" sewing machine. I am sorry to say the PFAFF 60 machine is probably great for V69 thread and you maybe even able to squeeze V92 thread through it for fabric but it will not sew 8 oz of leather. Hopefully you can return it or keep it for other things.

kgg

I'm jumping in early for myself here cause I just got the shipping notification on my sewing machine, should be here friday, Ill post my setup once I figure that out lol!

Thats my machine woo hoo !!   :) They're not ' extra heavy duty' . But I do sew thin leathers  on it using a #40 thread  & Gutterman upholstery thread and a Schmetz leather needle ,  for wallets etc and small fiddly bits 'n' pieces. I have  also sewn 2-2.5mm soft  leather on it* . I have a full set of accessories and an orig.  manual. And like all early domestics  , they are pretty heavy but so  simple to maintain. 

(* The thickest " material" it once  sewed , was my Mothers finger, yep, the needle went straight through :bawling: . I felt the pain as much as she did. Pulling it out with pliers ain't pretty, made me feel sick , hope you're not eating?  . ) 

HS

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

(* The thickest " material" it once  sewed , was my Mothers finger, yep, the needle went straight through :bawling: . I felt the pain as much as she did. Pulling it out with pliers ain't pretty, made me feel sick , hope you're not eating?  . ) 

HS

Oh yuck! Your poor Mom!

I think these old Pfaff domestics are nice machines. I did sew on one ocasionally when a friend had one at her shop. I thought it was a sturdy little machine and the stitches were very consistent, even through about 4 layers canvas and sunbrella fabrics.

I was doing some work with webbing a while back, but adapting my CB4500 to use different thread, tensions, needles, etc. got to be too much trouble. Trying to get the 4500 re-set to do leather again was a challenge. I'd bet that machine would handle those duties quite well. I didn't do enough of it to get another machine, and had no place to put it anyway.

If you think you'll ever get into strap work with webbing, I'd keep it.

22 hours ago, suzelle said:

Oh yuck! Your poor Mom!

Each and every time I use my Juki 441 clone,  I think of 'that time' and keep my fingers well away from the business end of the machine. Just imagine  putting one of those needles through your finger ?

The one on the left is the Pfaff 60  needle, the one on the right is the 441 clone needle . Ouch ! 

Two Sewing machine needles.jpg

13 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

Each and every time I use my Juki 441 clone,  I think of 'that time' and keep my fingers well away from the business end of the machine. Just imagine  putting one of those needles through your finger ?

The one on the left is the Pfaff 60  needle, the one on the right is the 441 clone needle . Ouch ! 

Yes! I do the same. I saw my own Mom do that too. My daughter did it twice! I have felt my finger begin to go under the foot a few times and pulled it out just in time. Once I bruised my finger pretty good, but didn't get the needle! No thanks! I don't like those kind of needles! Yuck and Owie! I was reading another post on this forum about needles popping off and hitting your face and the need to wear safety glasses or some kind of glasses when you are using the heavier needles. Not a bad idea! I must confess there as well, my own glasses have saved my eyeballs a few times!

1248176052_Consew255RB.thumb.JPG.fc2bdc1ac9b7e9329e7cb10d1820b7aa.JPG

On 2/26/2022 at 4:16 PM, Maint1517 said:

It’s an older model 6031 extra heavy duty.  But in really good condition. Already purchased it. It should be here next week. 

Maint1517,

At last, remembering to post a pic of my newest old sewing machine. LOL. Consew 255RB  - I didn't pay much for the machine and working with it now, trying to get it to work perfect! The saga continues. :)

How's it going with your machine? What's the thickest thread you were able to successfully sew with it? Also, is the stitch length acceptable to you? I mentioned higher up in the thread that I'd used a Pfaff machine similar to the one you purchased. The machine belonged to my friend and it was a Pfaff 332 Zig zag. It was about the same era as the one you have, just with zig zag and free arm. I really liked the consistency of the stitch, that was a solid machine and the reason we used it was for the zig zag feature when needed. However, the max length of the stitch was a bit short for straight stitching. So we never used it that purpose (canopy covers). We did all the straight stitching on the Industrial machines which were Juki machines and Consew 206 (?). Anyhow, the little Pfaff free arm made me a Pfaff lover.

What I remember this friend using to stitch with was #92 poly bonded thread in the top and it worked just fine. I can't say if it could have sewn any thicker thread than that though, as #92 was the only thread size in her shop.

I liked the stitch on that old Pfaff so much that I later purchased my own Pfaff zig zag, but the one I got was Pfaff 138-6. They are hard to find, but nice machines. It was able to do a much longer stitch than the domestic Pfaff when straight stitching and bed size was a standard Industrial size. I got the machine at a real bargain, put a little time and very little money into it and got it stitching perfect. Then I sold it for double what I spent. I was later sorry I sold it because I loved it so much. So, I bought another Pfaff 138-6 last year. I paid 3x the price for that one (!) and it is now set up to sew #69 to #92 thread, that one will be with me hopefully forever. Love it!

If you are a Pfaff lover, thought I would share. I also have a Pfaf 545-H4. That one is capable of a thicker thread (so I am told) and it's just a straight stitcher. I have always used #92 thread in this machine and initial setup of the machine was with this thread weight in mind. Recently, I've been trying to sew with #138 thread on top and the machine had some fits! A part was damaged (only $10 part) but the real expense of that mistake is now she needs a complete tune up! I figured she is due for that and plan to have her set up to sew the #138 thread now that I'm doing more Auto Upholstery work. Previously I'd been using the machine mostly for very long vinyl banners and various other jobs. The lift is pretty high, I love it for lots of layers of upholstery fabrics and vinyls. Some of the little screws and things can sometimes be a challenge to find. But worth it to me if I can keep them running! It's been a good stitching and faithful machine for nearly 10 years now, I think. No special attention, just oil and regular use and she's happy!

Hope that helps a little.

Edited by suzelle
spelling and adding photo