rmr

Inscribing Letters/initials On Leather Goods

I have had several individuals ask me to place their initials on some of the cases I make for them. Up till now I have never done that- but feel I at least need to look into it more. The cases I make would require letters in the 5/8- 3/4" or so size to look appropriate. I have seen the craft tool stamp set offered by tandy and weaver. My general impression is that most craft tools are of relatively low quality so I have been very hesitant about ordering a set. After reading several comments by others on this forum regarding their alphabet stamp set - that concern seems to be true and justified.

What are my other options- does anyone else make a good quality alphabet stamp set- ideally in script letters, or is this something most others will use a swivel knife to create??

Thanks RMR

You can buy Alphabets For The Leather Crafter # 61936-00, trace cut, carve and bevel.

Kevin.

I have a couple of the craft tool stamps, and they work well. You just have to be careful about the stamp moving while making the imprint. As long as you're careful, you'll get good results.

Your options are almost unlimited. You can do anything from freehand carving to carefully desigigned ornate letters complete with floral or scroll work. Al Stohlman used very ornate letters/monograms on some of his work - see his books/patterns for examples. You will also see that letters and names may be free standing, super-imposed on the carving, and even incorporated into the design.

Even the commom alphabet stamps can be dressed up with inlays, distinctive dyeing , and fancy knife work.

I have had several individuals ask me to place their initials on some of the cases I make for them. Up till now I have never done that- but feel I at least need to look into it more. <<<snip>>>

What are my other options- does anyone else make a good quality alphabet stamp set- ideally in script letters, or is this something most others will use a swivel knife to create??

I did find a process to emboss letters in leather. You can find large fancy script letters on eBay or from M&H Type Foundry. Here is a link to see what I used:

http://aaleatherbigb...her Article.pdf

Bob Stelmack

Thanks Bob S

That is a great description of how you do it

Wil get on looking for the "toys"

RMR

I've had request to do initials on a finished product before. I cut letters with a swivel knife and "filled" it in with a wood burner. It actually came out pretty nice.

One of the site sponsors here, Leather works, will do a set in any font you like. I have seen some really nice looking ones. Just click on his link on one of the pages here.

Blue Duck

how do I find his contact info- I cant find on the site a company named leather works- probably me doing something wrong

Thanks

RMR

If you want brass letters, Eden Workshop in France has a wide selection of fonts. Brass is expensive, but it will last and Eden seems to have pretty good prices.

Here is their website url; http://www.edenworkshops.com/

If you click on "brass finishing tools" (menu on the left) and then "handle letters and type" -- you'll see their prices and font selection.

I haven't used them yet, but I plan to since they seem to be the only ones that carry a font that I want.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/112742933/customized-alphabet-letter-stamps-for?ref=shop_home_active_11

Looks like you have already received some information from other folks. But should you need, this is a link to his alphabet stamps.

I think the links for the sponsors rotate at the top of the pages, so that is probably why you didn't see it.

Edited by blue duck

thanks got it- looks like nice stuff

I have had several individuals ask me to place their initials on some of the cases I make for them. Up till now I have never done that- but feel I at least need to look into it more. The cases I make would require letters in the 5/8- 3/4" or so size to look appropriate. I have seen the craft tool stamp set offered by tandy and weaver.

My general impression is that most craft tools are of relatively low quality so I have been very hesitant about ordering a set. After reading several comments by others on this forum regarding their alphabet stamp set - that concern seems to be true and justified.

Thanks RMR

Let me just say that tools are for the most part either used by the owner, . . . or abused by the owner. I have alphabet stamps that I know are well over 20 years old, . . . and if no one tries to emboss an anvil with them, . . . they'll probably last another 20 years.

The stamps Tandy sells are pot metal, . . . but if they are used correctly, . . . they will outlast probably everyone on this forum. Some will break, . . . because they are made by the hand of man, . . . only God makes things perfectly.

For only initials, . . . you won't find a better bargain, . . . especially if you get a customer who likes what you did, . . . and wants you to make another just like it. If you hand tool them, . . . no two will be exactly alike, . . . no matter how much care you give it.

May God bless,

Dwight