Blindleader

New To Leather Working, So Here Goes Nothing.

Well, I am new to leather crafting, I've been at it for a little less than a month. Here is a little of the back story. About a year ago I was diagnosed with right atrium heart failure, and at barely 39 years old, I was told point blank that my working days were over, if I continued to try to work, I would, without question, kill myself or someone else. So, after 16 years as an over the road truck driver, and a person who has been working since I was 15, I found myself trapped in my own house with nothing to do but stare at the TV or the walls. In short, I was going stir crazy. My lovely wife of 22 years decided I needed something to occupy my time and my mind, so she went out on a limb and bought a Tandy deluxe starter kit. I let it sit on the kitchen table for several months, too busy feeling sorry for myself to do anything constructive, but eventually I cracked the box open and started playing with the tools. Typical male, I didn't read the instructions until well after I was in too deep, and now I am firmly hooked on leather working. I love this craft so much I traded one of my trusty Mossberg shotguns for a box full of old tools, molding tools, knives and a pile of old leather. I would like to reach the level some of you guys are, your work is stunning, and I am working diligently to improve my skills. I've attached thumbnail images of my work in the order I completed them so you all can see the progress I've made. Constructive criticism is appreciated!

img0355nc.th.jpgimg0356mm.th.jpgimg0419aa.th.jpgimg0415zo.th.jpgimg0416ne.th.jpgimg0414yq.th.jpgimg0413fg.th.jpgimg0418jz.th.jpgimg0420y.th.jpgimg0421ho.th.jpgimg0423an.th.jpgimg0383gn.th.jpgimg0427il.th.jpgphotohqq.th.jpgimg0451pn.th.jpgimg0447dm.th.jpgimg0488v.th.jpgimg0486ne.th.jpgimg0482ma.th.jpgimg0483th.th.jpg

Wow, a month in and you are doing great stuff...Keep going!!

I envy having time to be able to do this hobby as with work, wife and my two kids and their activities, time for myself is at a premium.

Unfortunately your spare time comes with a price of health issues. Isn't that always the way?....feast or famine.

Enjoy our limited time on earth as best you can, now you have found something you are good at and can be productive with.

All the best.

Nice work, keep it up!

No real criticism here - minus jealousy at how far you've come in short time. The only thing I recommend is to ditch the tandy kit patterns when you want to lace something. They're all horribly spaced. There's lots of stuff here on getting your lacing closer together. Other than that you're off to a great start.

I wish my first projects looked as good! You are off to a great start!

Welcome to the forum! Keep the photos of projects coming!

Rick

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement. I'm currently working on a new belt for myself. I decided to try my hand at arrowhead basket weave on portions of it and man is it WAY harder than it looks. I'll post some pics of it in a few days when I'm done with it. All the tooling and dye work is done, just waiting on some wax and thread from SLC so I can do the hand stitching before I show off the finished product.

Welcome,

I don't have any criticism, but some advice. On the round coasters it is noticeable that your leather stretched during the tooling. Before I tool anything I put either packing tape or sticky shelf paper on the back. this keeps the leather from stretching. Keep up the good work.

Will try that walkingH, I've read about a few methods to keep the leather from stretching, but the packing tape seems to sound easiest. I'll give it a try.

Looking good! The bug is very addictive!

What I see is though your new, you have a unique vision on your designs that are fresh. I like seeing that. the rest of the "stuff" will take care of itself with practice. your ahead of the game already I think. just relax, and just create some more.

Sorry to hear about your health, and hope the newfound focus helps you all around. It looks like you're coming along, and I agree with dragonspit, keep it up. I've found paper is cheap, and sketching bleeds over in a lot of ways, just sayin.

Hmmmm, if I wouldnt know it for shure I would say you been practicing,,,,,I can see you going down the road in a big rig....having a slab of granite on ur knees and while u watch the road on the interstate hammering and tooling away!!...haha

No seriously, very nice work, good details and by all means not a beginner anymore....keep it up and keep us posted....good luck to you!!

Jimbob

One month is all you have doing this? Nice work for such a short time. Keep up the good work and we will be watching for your new stuff.

Bob

As regards health, I am very sorry, but - every cloud has a well! Now you discover that in you lies a great talent for other things. This is a wonderful job. Welcome!

Kizo

Edited by KIZO CROATIA