327fed

Template for makers mark

I was looking at companies to get a makers mark. I know what I want but getting this into a graphics file that they want I am a little rusty at. Anybody got a template in Word, Paint, Publisher, etc? Don’t have any kind of Cad. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, 327fed said:

I was looking at companies to get a makers mark. I know what I want but getting this into a graphics file that they want I am a little rusty at. Anybody got a template in Word, Paint, Publisher, etc? Don’t have any kind of Cad. Thanks. 

How's this?

Maker's Mark Bourbon

Ok, seriously, I'd be surprised if there was a template for this.  There are just too many variables.  Are you looking for something that you will press into (deboss) your leather?  Something that goes onto a sew in label or piece of leather (and is then in turn stitched onto your work)?  Something to burn into the leather?  

My feeling is that you'll either need a proper graphics program (and some skill in using it) as well as first of all, a name you want to use.  Then with a good eye for graphics, you (or a graphics designer) might play around with a bunch of different ideas and sizes.

And depending on the physical type of mark you're talking about, the producer of it might have specific requirements as to the file type they can work with.

Good luck!

I prefer Jim Beam. I think the companies I investigated just want a good likeness and will create the design in their software. And again, I know what I want. Curving  a  line of text is all I am having trouble with. If not I can just draw it on paper, scan it and  email the file I guess. But Word has templates for calendars, birthday cards, invitations. I bet someone has done one of these. And yes I will press or stamp directly into veg tanned leather. I just wanted to get far from computers in leather work. 

Edited by 327fed

I use a Desk Top Publisher program [aka DTP]

The stamp makers I use will work from a a good jpeg image.

To get there;

I do the artwork in DTP, then print it out at a large size. I then scan that print out to make it a jpeg photo type memory. I can take that jpeg in Microsoft 'Paint' or a photo editing program to adjust it and re-save it.

In fact, I number each version [subject name] 01, then each change gets a suffix letter added, eg, first change is 01a, then 01b et cetera. It often I'm up to letter g or even m or n before I'm happy with the tweaked stamp image

Its seems a lot of faffing about but I'm used to doing things like this and I can do it all inside a very short time

edit- to add images

Basic early stage design

Lazy~D, design, 01s.jpg

What I ended up with

Lazy~D, Actual stamp, 01s.jpg

Edited by fredk

Yes. I have it up in Paint now and can’t find a place to curve a line of text. Supposed to be in Word to do the same thing. Have not found that button yet but I will try tonite. 

To suit my design I did each letter of LAZY~D individually inside a frame and angled each frame

Edited by fredk

Yep...it's in Word

Go to the "Insert" menu and choose "Word Art"

image.thumb.png.1fbdb7b10f2c31a8873b7b2034d3d3e2.png

Then choose the type of "transformation you are wanting...

image.thumb.png.bb93820947c291473d3914f1c5ec182f.png

Thanks Guys. The Transform action was not in my older version of Word but my wife's laptop has it. I got the curved letters done in Word and the center done in Paint but I can't get them  together. May just print both out and literally cut and paste and scan. Fred K. i told the guy I made the Yeti carrier for the other day that  a guy in Northern Ireland sent me a pattern.  He was not expecting that, 

its so easy in corel and can be saved in many different formats

Thanks but I don’t have Corel. Something else to buy. Printed out 3 things, glued and scanned. Got one quote, waiting on the other. Also made one possibility with the scullery clay. 

19 hours ago, 327fed said:

Thanks but I don’t have Corel. Something else to buy. Printed out 3 things, glued and scanned. Got one quote, waiting on the other. Also made one possibility with the scullery clay. 

it was an offer but I guess your all set :huh:

Thanks very much for your offer and I am sorry for the delayed reply. Pastor Bob PM ed me and offered to work on it as well. I needed to change my email on the site and for some reason got locked out a while. The site somehow did not accept the new email. I also had a gmail account I rarely use so I tried it and the site was OK with it. Thanks again for your offer of help. 

Leatherstampmaker.com.  They will help you.

If you want send me your proto type I'll work it up in corel and send it back in any format you need .

Thanks A lot Bert but Pastor Bob reworked it for me this weekend. Great to have multiple friends. 

Would you mind if we see what you came up with?

?_task=mail&_action=get&_mbox=INBOX&_uidThis is from Leatherstampmaker.com. Got it today. I got the electric heater too. Only  a little small. 15/16 inch that I requested. May get another in 1 1/4 later. Do you wet the leather to stamp with a heated stamp? I did not put the usual “maker” in the center. Figured people could figure that out. This was $62 in Brass, $84 maybe in 1 1/4 inch size. Steel was $205 another place. 

You made a good choice going with leatherstampmaker.com. They made me a steel rule die and it is an awesome time saver. Been using  it for a little over a year and is as sharp as the day I got it. I was happy with the quality and price. They had it to me quick. I highly recommend anyone giving them a try.

Seems to be a learning curve on the heated stamping. Stamp is fine, operator not. 

6ACDBD91-C9DC-447D-B785-81F9B4A7F5FE.jpeg

If you have a press you don't need to heat the stamp for veg tan. Depending on the veg tan sometimes you don't even need to case the leather. I've even been able to impress my maker stamp and certain other stamps in thick chrome tan using my press

Thanks. I will try that.

I have never used heat.  I always case it and smack the stamp with a mallet.  My stamp has a screw -in handle to make it easier.  I do have a larger stamp that is used with my Harbor Freight Arbor Press.

Yes I have the handle too. Just trying the heat. Never had a brass stamp and curious how it will hold up to hammering. Thought it would work easier on odd shaped stuff. I hav an arbor press but it does not have metric thread. Will work something out. 

1 minute ago, 327fed said:

. . . I hav an arbor press but it does not have metric thread. Will work something out. 

I just place my stamp on the leather and bring the ram down to press the stamp into the leather.