So i have another holster to modify but on examining it i noticed this plastic button protector thing. Anyone seen them elsewhere they are a protector for the metal to metal contact. on snaps. i don't care for plastic much buts its a pretty cool invention. or is it just a plastic back piece for a rivet? 

redo1.JPG

redo2.JPG

From the pictures it looks like a button that pops through the hole in the center of the snap. A separate unit. Pretty neat idea.

There are plastic 'snaps'. They are available in 3 sizes afaik. They are called 'KAM Snaps' T5 is the most common size. It needs a special pliers tool to set them, by squeezing and squashing the central pointy bit, which actually looks the same in your sample photograph.  I use them on 'key ring coin purses' and other lightweight items.  I must see if one of their heads will do the same job

51Nc4M2cbmL.jpg

6 minutes ago, fredk said:

There are plastic 'snaps'. They are available in 3 sizes afaik. They are called 'KAM Snaps' T5 is the most common size. It needs a special pliers tool to set them, by squeezing and squashing the central pointy bit, which actually looks the same in your sample photograph.  I use them on 'key ring coin purses' and other lightweight items.  I must see if one of their heads will do the same job

51Nc4M2cbmL.jpg

yes they appear to be the same but using a metal snap on the outer part. please let us know. 

Right, we don't buy snap/poppers by 'Line #' but by the mm diameter of the head

Here is a photo of KAM Snaps heads on the bases of two sizes of regular snaps

On the left, a KAM head is wider than the base of a 12mm classed snap, but, on the right, the base of a 15mm class is about 1.5 mm wider that the KAM head

KAM Snaps, head into standard snaps, 01LWs.jpg

Actual measurements [approx, cos my gauge ain't 100% accurate ]

KAM head = 12.4mm to 12.6mm [slight variation]

12mm snap base = 10.9mm

15mm snap base = 14mm

If you could be bothered you could file the larger snap base down to fit under the KAN head. It wouldn't take much filing to take off about 0.7mm all round it

~~ I now remember that I used these to cover the bases of ready rivets before I discovered double-headed rivets

2 hours ago, fredk said:

Right, we don't buy snap/poppers by 'Line #' but by the mm diameter of the head

Here is a photo of KAM Snaps heads on the bases of two sizes of regular snaps

On the left, a KAM head is wider than the base of a 12mm classed snap, but, on the right, the base of a 15mm class is about 1.5 mm wider that the KAM head

KAM Snaps, head into standard snaps, 01LWs.jpg

Actual measurements [approx, cos my gauge ain't 100% accurate ]

KAM head = 12.4mm to 12.6mm [slight variation]

12mm snap base = 10.9mm

15mm snap base = 14mm

If you could be bothered you could file the larger snap base down to fit under the KAN head. It wouldn't take much filing to take off about 0.7mm all round it

~~ I now remember that I used these to cover the bases of ready rivets before I discovered double-headed rivets

thank you for that info.

I've finally tracked down two of the other sizes of KAM Snaps

T3 = 11 mm diameter

T8 = 14.1 mm diameter

I think I'll order some T8. I want some bigger KAMs and I'll see if that size will cover the 15mm snap base

edit; I just found another size

T15 = 16 mm diameter

I'm ordering those uns

Edited by fredk

I have only found two places that sell them in large quantities, I use them all the time in the unlined and thumb break holsters I make for line 24 snaps

Blue gun Store has them in clear http://www.bluegunstore.com/snapprotectors.aspx

EDC Leather has them in black https://edcleather.com/product/nylon-thumb-break-snap-backs/

Edited by CampCurryLeather

1 hour ago, CampCurryLeather said:

I have only found two places that sell them in large quantities, I use them all the time in the unlined and thumb break holsters I make for line 24 snaps

Blue gun Store has them in clear http://www.bluegunstore.com/snapprotectors.aspx

EDC Leather has them in black https://edcleather.com/product/nylon-thumb-break-snap-backs/

thank you for the info. How long have you used them? Do they hold up?

I ordered 100 of the 16mm KAM snaps in black. If I use just the heads to cover the bases of 15mm snaps, then I'll have 200 covers. For £4.99 delivered

Delivery due soon but we have a couple of days holidays, tomorrow and Friday, no post so they might arrive Saturday

Dwight taught me a neat trick for the hammer thong. but it requires 2 layers of leather

with 2 layers hiding that snap would be a breeze. 

neve seen that do hickey before , i like it though  

What’s your holiday over there Fred? We had Memorial Day Monday. Helped cook 300 Boston Butts Saturday. 

Thursday, Friday,  two special holidays for celebrating Queen Elizabeth's Platinum Jubilee - 70 years of being the Queen

Thursday and Friday so a lot of people can make it a 4 day long holiday with Saturday and Sunday added.

They hold up, I have never had a customer tell me of any popping off or falling out. I drilled out a piece of scrap wood with a hole a little larger than the line 24 snap. Lay leather face down with snap in hole and give "snap protector" a light tap with hammer to set it. They will snag on a flat surface like a cylinder face but I position the snaps near the trigger guard. 

On 6/1/2022 at 8:11 PM, fredk said:

I ordered 100 of the 16mm KAM snaps in black. If I use just the heads to cover the bases of 15mm snaps, then I'll have 200 covers. 

Doing a catch-up

The 16mm KAM head covers a 15mm snap base nicely, but the KAM stem is loose in the snap tube. It will need gluing on

Snap cover, 01LWs.jpg

I use them on the inside of suicide straps, thumb breaks, on the rare instance I can't talk my way out of them.  I hate thumb breaks.  But it keeps the snap off of the pistol.  

i have a new way for me, i use a large round punch either 1 " or 1 1/4" dont remember but i use very light pig suede and punch out a piece then glue it to the hoodicky, wrap the edges around so they are pinned underneath when its set. i like it much more than adding a chunk o plastic.