fredk

Fred's ramblings

:lol: One of my favourite pieces by the Stones! :D 

Wow, Brian Jones playing sitar! 

Edited by Sheilajeanne

On 6/29/2023 at 3:25 AM, Handstitched said:

@LePrevo Forgive the off-topic-ness of this question, but is Newcastle  Brown Ale still available? ( I saw your location)  

Its no longer available here in Oz, to my knowledge,  and to my annoyance, it was my fave drop.  I know it got bought out by Heineken , but after that it suddenly stopped, like they just stopped producing it ....grrr!! 

It used to be my  special annual  treat at Christmas to buy a case of NB .  Even Bass ale is longer around. That was  my 2nd fave, ...and so was Bovril , but thats another story .

HS

Still kicking about it seems - but not brewed locally (unless North Yorkshire, Netherlands or California counts) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle_Brown_Ale - the old brewery site is now an interesting mix of high rise student accommodation, futuristic University buildings and brownfield wasteland. 

@fredk what colours do you need, I will look for you as I have so many bright colours on a big rack.

I would need guidance from you regarding thickness and size you need in feet and inches lol (you know I am a layman) but I have all sorts of quirky bright colours on rolls 

I am presuming it would need to be quite thick leather for a steering wheel cover?

I have a stack of red perforated leather in piece which is for steering wheels I think

17 hours ago, LePrevo said:

Still kicking about it seems - but not brewed locally

Thank you for that info  :) Theres no reason for our local bottle shops not to stock it that I can see, as its still readily available .  Perhaps they just choose not to sell it, they used to  though. 

HS

Here be a silly wee idea. I'm forever losing pencils amongst all the rubbage on my work tables. I use magnets all over the place to hold knives, needles etc so I reckoned on hanging a pencil on a magnet but the ferule holding the eraser on is non-magnetic. So I punched two ordinary paper staples into the wood pencil. Now it hangs on my magnets

Edited by fredk

That's a brilliant idea! 

There is also a commercial solution: Short magnetic sleeves that fit around a pencil, like this https://www.thomann.de/fr/art_of_music_magpen_bleistift_mit_magneten.htm Music supply houses have them to stick a pencil to the stand (and then you discover that your stand is aluminium. My pencils stick on the fridge...)

Having read that Jane Birkin was dead and she had 'inspired' the  Hermes Birkin Handbag I had to look it up

Hermes-Birkin-Handbags.jpg

Anyone for making their own version?

What for? I like neither the look nor the handles (practically all ma bags have a shoulder strap)...

On 7/7/2023 at 10:37 PM, Handstitched said:

Thank you for that info  :) Theres no reason for our local bottle shops not to stock it that I can see, as its still readily available .  Perhaps they just choose not to sell it, they used to  though. 

HS

man I used to make an awesome dark brown ale that would knock your socks off. My problem was i couldn't make it fast enough lol. 

10 hours ago, fredk said:

Here be a silly wee idea. I'm forever losing pencils amongst all the rubbage on my work tables. I use magnets all over the place to hold knives, needles etc so I reckoned on hanging a pencil on a magnet but the ferule holding the eraser on is non-magnetic. So I punched two ordinary paper staples into the wood pencil. Now it hangs on my magnets

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

man I used to make an awesome dark brown ale that would knock your socks off. My problem was i couldn't make it fast enough lol. 

I would love to taste that:yes: dark ales  have sooooo much flavour . 

many times over the years  I have had some home brews, one in particular , just one glass had the same effect as drinking a whole six pack :crazy:  

As for pencils, I just buy a whole pack of 10 or more, and just leave them lying all over my workshop .  That way , I'm never without a pencil . Just like glasses, I have the ones on my nose, and a spare pair ...and a spare spare pair , just in case :)

HS 

Handstitched, me too!  Currently have a pair on my nose, which I try to leave on the desk, so I usually take them off before I leave the room. There's an extra strong pair on the dining table, where I sometimes do stitching, another extra strong pair in a drawer in my leatherworking bench, one in my purse, and yet another in the glove box of my car, in case the ones in my purse go missing. (Now and then, I might put them down on a table in a restaurant or the shelves at a store and forget them.)

7 hours ago, Klara said:

What for? I like neither the look nor the handles (practically all ma bags have a shoulder strap)...

I should have said I was being sarcastic  B)

5 hours ago, Handstitched said:

. . .

As for pencils, I just buy a whole pack of 10 or more, and just leave them lying all over my workshop .  That way , I'm never without a pencil . Just like glasses, I have the ones on my nose, and a spare pair ...and a spare spare pair , just in case :) 

Two weeks ago I had about 15 pencils. I'm down to 3 1/2. I think they are being eaten by the Gerbils of Endor  :dunno:

1 hour ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Handstitched, me too!  Currently have a pair on my nose, which I try to leave on the desk, so I usually take them off before I leave the room. There's an extra strong pair on the dining table, where I sometimes do stitching, another extra strong pair in a drawer in my leatherworking bench, one in my purse, and yet another in the glove box of my car, in case the ones in my purse go missing. (Now and then, I might put them down on a table in a restaurant or the shelves at a store and forget them.)

Glasses, at the last count, well, actually I haven't counted them, I have about 20 to 25 reading glasses (spectacles) scattered around. They range in power from 1.5D to 3.5D. There is always a few within reach when needed. Some I hang on hooks over or near my work tables  :blink:

T'other week #1 son and I had lunch for Independence Day. After, he showed me the new number plate he had bought for his '84 Camaro Z28. The plate is KUI 776. KU is the fist two letters of one of our surnames, so its KU 1776. Having number plates like this is illegal in the UK, but we try

IMG_5982 edited, LWs.jpg

The big E thingy marks that this coastal point is the furthest Eastern point of land on the island of Ireland. What you see in the background is actually to the North-North-West and a short pier on the right

Edited by fredk

5 hours ago, fredk said:

Having number plates like this is illegal in the UK, but we try

I didn't know that. I have personalised plates on my car . Its quite legal here in Oz, however the licensing depts. are cracking down on plates and/or applications  that are deemed inappropriate or offensive .   Some plates are just  ridiculous or indecipherable , like some sort of code. 

When I first saw that pic , I actually thought the car had backed into the big 'E'  , lol  :) 

HS

Two weeks ago I had about 15 pencils. I'm down to 3 1/2. I think they are being eaten by the Gerbils of Endor  :dunno:

Nope, they are beamed up by Ikea, cut into pieces and put into the dispensers in their stores. Generally I take back a handful when I am there...

Speaking of Ikea ....

360470674_1211543362871798_5801518104854156457_n.thumb.jpg.199a76365de07464d9687b766735dec1.jpg

Fred, here's how to make sure you never loose your glasses again! Let's hear it for Command Hooks (name brand)... :thumbsup:

A friend of mine used to have a Z28! Unfortunately, she lived in a large apartment complex where thieves were constantly targeting the cars in the parking garage. She had the sound system stolen out of the car, and they tried to take the tires one time, too, but guess they got scared off by security. Needless to say, she had an alarm system put in the car after the sound system was stolen, but it wasn't rigged to go off if someone was trying to steal the tires! :(

When I first got married, I briefly lived in the same area (Thorncliffe Park, Toronto) and couldn't WAIT to move elsewhere!! Too many people, too much traffic. Love where I live now, where traffic jams are due to farm vehicles on the road.

never lose glasses.jpg

Edited by Sheilajeanne

3 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Fred, here's how to make sure you never loose your glasses again! Let's hear it for Command Hooks (name brand)... :thumbsup:

A friend of mine used to have a Z28! Unfortunately, she lived in a large apartment complex where thieves were constantly targeting the cars in the parking garage. She had the sound system stolen out of the car, and they tried to take the tires one time, too, but guess they got scared off by security. Needless to say, she had an alarm system put in the car after the sound system was stolen, but it wasn't rigged to go off if someone was trying to steal the tires! :(

When I first got married, I briefly lived in the same area (Thorncliffe Park, Toronto) and couldn't WAIT to move elsewhere!! Too many people, too much traffic. Love where I live now, where traffic jams are due to farm vehicles on the road.

never lose glasses.jpg

i would never find them there. lol I have a pair everywhere also, buy them by the six packs it saves so much walking my cave is in the basement.

I was able to buy a six pack at Canadian Tire, and still have most of them. I might find the missing ones if I check the couch cushions or under the seats in my car...:lol:

The only ones I've had to replace recently were the extra strong ones I use for stitching. The plastic frames just don't last. I wonder if they are sensitive to the sun? The pair I had on the dining table just seemed to crack for no reason, and that table does get a fair bit of sun in the spring and fall.

The six pack were all black metal frames, so we're good...

I had one pair that had the puppy chew off one of the nose pads, and the plastic ear covers, and scratch the lenses up pretty badly. Do you think I could ever loose that pair??  No, it was always the expensive ones with the metal case that I'd buy to put in my purse! :rolleyes2:

I think a lens finally popped out on the damaged pair, and I gave them the heave-ho.

Edited by Sheilajeanne

:lol:  That reminds me of a certain film/movie

Any of youse ever see, or remember, the film 'The Jerk'?  Towards the end of the clip - see what he invents

11 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i would never find them there.

Its not the first time I'd be looking for them....and they're on my head :blush:

I thought I'd share this with you. Clearing and sorting some boxes in my leather work room I re-found this

Several years ago #1 son and I were tasked with clearing a rental storage unit. Amongst all the things we discovered was this holster. The previous renter had been in the Royal Ulster Constabulary aka RUC. The RUC was always armed with regulation issued firearms whilst on duty but this was for his Personal Protection Weapon, his PPW, for when he was off duty. 

The reverse side is stamped; Ruger Speed 6  2/91

Holster for Ruger Speed Six, front, 01LWs.jpg Holster for Ruger Speed Six, rear, 01LWs.jpg

I suppose this is the sort of pistol it was made for

220px-Rugerspeedsix.JPG

Remember; I did NOT make this. I found it

Its still in relatively good condition considering it hasn't been used or looked after since about 2010, or maybe even earlier. But I think it could now do with some NFO

Anyone want to discuss it? its style, the belt slots et cetera

I thought I'd share this with you. Clearing and sorting some boxes in my leather work room I re-found this

Several years ago #1 son and I were tasked with clearing a rental storage unit. Amongst all the things we discovered was this holster. The previous renter had been in the Royal Ulster Constabulary aka RUC. The RUC was always armed with regulation issued firearms whilst on duty but this was for his Personal Protection Weapon, his PPW, for when he was off duty. 

Holster for Ruger Speed Six, front, 01LWs.jpg Holster for Ruger Speed Six, rear, 01LWs.jpg

220px-Rugerspeedsix.JPG

Its still in relatively good condition considering it hasn't been used or looked after since about 2010, or maybe even earlier. But I think it could now do with some NFO

the ruger speed six was built as a service weapon style revolver, and pretty popular until semi autos took over the roll. the double loop design provides for two carrying styles, straight up to carry on the side or with a cant so you can carry it further back on the belt. very cool design IMO.

13 hours ago, fredk said:

220px-Rugerspeedsix.JPG

Is the public allowed to carry those around, here in the states we are led to believe that other countries aren’t allowed to have them