fredk

Fred's ramblings

3 hours ago, fredk said:

Has anyone tried one?

One of my fellow marketeers has  a similar one, from  brand name tool company  , she got it for free. As far as I know , it works quite well. Mostly used on icy cold mornings while  setting up our stalls. Not sure how long the battery charge lasts for, but being a heating 'element'(?) not long I'm guessing ? 

HS

I ordered a Tippmann Boss in the early hours (my time) of Tuesday and I received it at 12.25 today, Very speedy indeedy

Whilst I'm happy it has arrived its missing several items which I ordered with it.  I've emailed the Tippmann contact, Chelsea, but as this is a holiday weekend goodness knows when I'll get an answer and get the missing items

I'm truly disappointed that they could not pack the order correctly

Edited by fredk

Finally got a response from Tippmann

They want me to pay again for the items which I have already paid for and which they forgot to pack!

8 hours ago, fredk said:

Finally got a response from Tippmann

They want me to pay again for the items which I have already paid for and which they forgot to pack!

Sounds like the fun I'm having. Been waiting for a order from Tandy and according to UPS they said it was delivered at 12:30. I looked at the email at 12:45 and thought it was weird it said it was delivered to the back door. The even crazier thing was it had been snowing for a few hours and there wasn't a footprint or anything on my property so the whole someone took the package was out of the question. 1 hour of automated phone waiting before I ever got to speak to a human being. 4 hours later I got a call saying they were going to track down the delivery guy and try to figure out where my package is. But somehow yours still sounds worse, like I'm pissed they would actually ask you to pay for their screw up. We are the sheep consumers that places don't give a damn about. Oh and the best part I forgot was mid afternoon I looked out the back door and there was a delivered box. Problem was it was from the USPS and was the neighbors 2 houses over.

Do you ever start one of those projects which at first seems quick and simple then turns into something more involved?

I had this idea to make some pen/pencil cases for the members of my Knit & Natter group.

I thought just to use some chrome tan, folded over and with some sort of flap at the top. After considering this and discarding the idea as not good enough I've ended up doing wet-moulded veg-tan ones

I asked the librarian for the first & last initials for everyone in the group so I could personalise the cases. Not everyone turns up every week so I see only about 8 to 10 members each week that I'm there. 

8, 10, or even 12, easy-peasy. 

Ah, but no, there are 19, including the 3 library staff. I can't leave them out

After carving up some scrap wood, I started. 

Leather is about 1 -1.2 mm veg tan. Afair, it came from Tandy. A 'belly' leather. I wet the leather, not a really long soak, but a good wetting under a running tap (faucet?), in very warm water. Then I stretch it just using my hands.

Step 1; wet mould over the wood former, using bulldog clips and lolly sticks (aka popsicle sticks) to hold in place. I stretch the leather over the former as well, so the clips are re-positioned a couple of times

Knit & Natter pen cases, 01LWs.jpg

Step 2. Before the case has completely dried a flat iron bar with some scrap leather glued to it is slipped between the former and the leather and 3D picture and letter stamps pressed in. (this case needed the top edge trimmed, as by the marked line)

Knit & Natter pen cases, 03LWs.jpg

Step 3. The wet-moulded case is glued to the back & flap piece, after the top edge is trimmed. if necessary. Bulldog clips and lolly sticks again, but lolly sticks front and back so the bulldog clips don't leave marks. A different wood former is used to make sure the case retains its shape whilst being glued up and the case continues to dry out

Knit & Natter pen cases, 04LWs.jpg

Step 4. After the glue is dry, the cutting lines are marked in. For the sides and bottom I use a piece of 6mm thick MDF board used on edge, pressed up to the sides. For the flap shape, a simple carboard pattern shape

Knit & Natter pen cases, 05LWs.jpg

Step 5. Waste cut off. Holes punched for the snap, and an 'access' V is cut away. Not really necessary, but it looks nice. On some I've been punching the lacing holes at this stage

Knit & Natter pen cases, 06LWs.jpg

Step 6.  Tan dyed and KAM snap installed. I like the KAM snaps. They are easy to open, come in a range of colours, easy to install. But only usable on leather less than 1.4mm thick

Knit & Natter pen cases, 07LWs.jpg

Step 7. Holes for lacing (1.5mm round coloured lace) punched

Knit & Natter pen cases, 08LWs.jpg

Step 8. Laced up

Knit & Natter pen cases, 09LWs.jpg

Step 9. Contents added. a pencil, a coloured gel-ink pen and regular pen which I've had printed up (20 pens for £20, cheap as chips)

Knit & Natter pen cases, 10LWs.jpg

So far I have 14 finished. with 3 more at different stages. I have until December 14th to get them all done.

They are actually quite easy and quick to make, especially in a 'production run'. No fancy edge finishing or nuffin.

I've priced these and including the pens & pencils but not time they work out at £3.20 each. Not very expensive at all.

Lovely gifts! I can see that the cases would be fairly quick to make, but you still can only make as many per day as you have wood formers, can't you? (And I do hope that even after Brexit and inflation you get more than 20 chips for £ 20 B) !)

No real leatherwork in this, just the main strap. Pictures attached using double-sided sticky pads

My Christmas hat band;

Christmas hat band, 01LWs.jpg

Christmas hat band, 02LWs.jpg

Whilst wasting time watching those DiY videos on youtube I came across one made by an Eastern European chappie in which he dissolves expanded polystyrene in acetone to make glue and in xylene to make a waterproofing coating

I've lost the actual video I was watching  :(

The things that interested me was that when the white poly was dissolved in the xylene it made a clear liquid. When the chappie applied it to some cardboard and cement floor it was seen to  be clear. But it was also flexible

I'm wondering if this could be applied to certain types of our leather items to make them more waterproof. Say, on bicycle tool bags, or motorcycle kit, or even shoulder bags?

I'm for trying to make some and see what happens

9 hours ago, fredk said:

Whilst wasting time watching those DiY videos on youtube I came across one made by an Eastern European chappie in which he dissolves expanded polystyrene in acetone to make glue and in xylene to make a waterproofing coating

I've lost the actual video I was watching  :(

The things that interested me was that when the white poly was dissolved in the xylene it made a clear liquid. When the chappie applied it to some cardboard and cement floor it was seen to  be clear. But it was also flexible

I'm wondering if this could be applied to certain types of our leather items to make them more waterproof. Say, on bicycle tool bags, or motorcycle kit, or even shoulder bags?

I'm for trying to make some and see what happens

i would like to see too. I love experiments. 

I've ordered a bottle of xylene. I can't get it locally

I wonder if it would be safe to use inside a water/wine bottle

16 minutes ago, fredk said:

I've ordered a bottle of xylene. I can't get it locally

I wonder if it would be safe to use inside a water/wine bottle

yup i have some i use it in glass stuff. We had to remove all the Styrofoam cups and such from our prison here because the inmates found they could melt them down and  make shanks from the hard plastic undectable and really friggin sharp.. Its amazing what people can come up with. 

Whilst searching for that youtube video, which I eventually found, I came across another, well lots, dozens, but one where the person uses cellulose, aka lacquer,  thinners to dissolve the poly. I wish I'd seen that one first as I have a gallon of cellulose thinners here and may not have needed to order the xylene

23 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i would like to see too. I love experiments. 

IIRC you can apply solvent to silicone sealant to achieve a similar result.

1 hour ago, toxo said:

IIRC you can apply solvent to silicone sealant to achieve a similar result.

I'm gonna have to look into this stuff lol.

This evening I realised I've fallen into the family 'Santa Supper' trap

The family 'Santa Supper' trap came about a long time ago when one of my nephews and one of my nieces were very young kinder. They each left out for Santa, a couple of sweet mince pielettes, a piece of Christmas cake and a very large glass of good whiskey. They each also left out a big carrot for Rudolf.

One Christmas Eve my brother-in-law ate all the food and even though he hated whiskey he drank the two big glasses of, and he ate at least half of each carrot.

Why?, we asked him. 'Because Ross and Erika will expect the pies to be eaten and the whiskey drunk and I couldn't get the dogs to eat the carrots' 

But, you could have put the pies back in the box, poured the whiskey back into the bottle and broken the carrots and put half into vegetables'

'Oh' he says

So, how have I fallen into the trap?

Last Christmas my #1 favourite dottir sent me, amongst other gifts, some bags of boiled sugar sweets/candy. I do not like boiled sweets  and more especially the flavours she sent me. I'm still working my way through them. one or two a week. Why? because my dottir gave them to me and expects me to eat them. Last Wednesday #1 son says to me ' if you don't like them why don't you just throw them in the bin? (garbage)' Why not indeed.

I'll eat some more tomorrow

In the meantime; last week or so I finished another archery bracer for #1 favourite dottir

On the flat, the outside

Archery bracer, Kitty's no.2, 03LWs.jpg

Inside

Archery bracer, Kitty's no.2, 04LWs.jpg

and on my arm

Archery bracer, Kitty's no.2, 01LWs.jpg

Archery bracer, Kitty's no.2, 02LWs.jpg

Report received back on it that it was comfortable to wear and did the job

I also finished two book covers. Chrome tan raspberry red  leather - never again! In the photos the colour looks different but they are actually the same

Book cover, type 2, Heather, 03LWs.jpg

Book cover, type 2, Madalene, 03LWs.jpg

Same insides. I always include an A6 sized note book or diary

Book cover, type 2, Madalene, 10LWs.jpg

Book cover, type 2, Madalene, 12LWs.jpg

I always put a small flat magnifier sheet in the back card pocket. I used to be able to buy these at 10 for £1 but they are very much dearer now but still cheap enough to put one in. I had pens printed up with my business name and contact details on them. Cost me £0.85 each. Worth it

all for now, see you later

@fredk When I was a wee lad , Mum used to put out a (fruit) minced pie and glass of sherry . Had I been smart, I could have had that for myself  in the middle of the night,  LOL . 

The archery bracer & the book cover looks great, nicely done :specool:

HS

10 hours ago, fredk said:

This evening I realised I've fallen into the family 'Santa Supper' trap

The family 'Santa Supper' trap came about a long time ago when one of my nephews and one of my nieces were very young kinder. They each left out for Santa, a couple of sweet mince pielettes, a piece of Christmas cake and a very large glass of good whiskey. They each also left out a big carrot for Rudolf.

One Christmas Eve my brother-in-law ate all the food and even though he hated whiskey he drank the two big glasses of, and he ate at least half of each carrot.

Why?, we asked him. 'Because Ross and Erika will expect the pies to be eaten and the whiskey drunk and I couldn't get the dogs to eat the carrots' 

But, you could have put the pies back in the box, poured the whiskey back into the bottle and broken the carrots and put half into vegetables'

'Oh' he says

So, how have I fallen into the trap?

Last Christmas my #1 favourite dottir sent me, amongst other gifts, some bags of boiled sugar sweets/candy. I do not like boiled sweets  and more especially the flavours she sent me. I'm still working my way through them. one or two a week. Why? because my dottir gave them to me and expects me to eat them. Last Wednesday #1 son says to me ' if you don't like them why don't you just throw them in the bin? (garbage)' Why not indeed.

I'll eat some more tomorrow

In the meantime; last week or so I finished another archery bracer for #1 favourite dottir

On the flat, the outside

Archery bracer, Kitty's no.2, 03LWs.jpg

Inside

Archery bracer, Kitty's no.2, 04LWs.jpg

and on my arm

Archery bracer, Kitty's no.2, 01LWs.jpg

Archery bracer, Kitty's no.2, 02LWs.jpg

Report received back on it that it was comfortable to wear and did the job

I also finished two book covers. Chrome tan raspberry red  leather - never again! In the photos the colour looks different but they are actually the same

Book cover, type 2, Heather, 03LWs.jpg

Book cover, type 2, Madalene, 03LWs.jpg

Same insides. I always include an A6 sized note book or diary

Book cover, type 2, Madalene, 10LWs.jpg

Book cover, type 2, Madalene, 12LWs.jpg

I always put a small flat magnifier sheet in the back card pocket. I used to be able to buy these at 10 for £1 but they are very much dearer now but still cheap enough to put one in. I had pens printed up with my business name and contact details on them. Cost me £0.85 each. Worth it

Once a father always a father lol you are a lucky man my friend!! Both are very beautiful work Fred. What is that leather on the bracer i like that? 

Chuck, I have no idea just what that leather is. Its thinnish, probably chrome tan and impressed with that pattern. Like a reptile maybe? I got a reasonable amount of it in a sale Le Prevo had many years ago. Sort of what you'd call a 'close out sale'. They were getting rid of a load of odd leathers and I bought huge amounts of what they were offering. Its one of my leathers I call 'Dragon Skin'

and thank you for the compliments

Old saying; A son's a son till he gets him a wife but a dottir is a dottir all of her life

@Handstitched, thank you for the compliment. I don't think you'd have liked the sherry, tis too sweet, but the pie, . . . . yum

Edited by fredk

We've still got a roll or two of that 'dragon skin' kicking about at £2.50 per sq ft if anyone desperately needs to acquire some....

I must check my stock

@LePrevo Forgive the off-topic-ness of this question, but is Newcastle  Brown Ale still available? ( I saw your location)  

Its no longer available here in Oz, to my knowledge,  and to my annoyance, it was my fave drop.  I know it got bought out by Heineken , but after that it suddenly stopped, like they just stopped producing it ....grrr!! 

It used to be my  special annual  treat at Christmas to buy a case of NB .  Even Bass ale is longer around. That was  my 2nd fave, ...and so was Bovril , but thats another story .

HS

Edited by Handstitched

@Handstitched as far as I know Newcastle Brown is still available. I think I saw some in the alcohol beverage section of a supermarket. Its not one I buy. I'll check for it tomorrow 

On 6/5/2023 at 1:15 AM, fredk said:

Good work Fred but as you've found out Chrome Tan doesn't stamp very well. Hot foiling sometimes works and you don't need a machine for one offs, If you have some scraps just lay some foil down and stamp it after heat up the letters with a blowtorch or even the gas ring. It doesn't have to get too hot either.

I'll look into that

I noticed that the unusually strong sun light we have had here recently was bleaching my favourite black hat. Its my favourite hat right now because its the only wearable one I have right now. Also, with it getting soaked in the rain down pours we have had and its fast drying in the sun it was getting drying stains.

So what to do? What any leather crafter would do. I got out a bottle of thinned black resolene and sponge applied that over all. Result! My hat be black again

And to celebrate; remember its the LAW that your turn this up to 11!

One of the greatest pieces of all time by one of the greatest bands of all time!!