fredk

Fred's ramblings

feedback on the wool cage;

1. a hole in the top & bottom discs for certain balls of wool which feed that way

2. too small

3 too tight, not enough of a gap between the longitudinal straps to get a large ball of wool in

So these will bi incorporated in the Mark 2

On 1/23/2024 at 2:47 AM, Sheilajeanne said:

No thanks, the older I get, the harder it is for me to tolerate hot weather.

Same here. We ( as kids) were never bothered by the hot weather, ran amok, rode our bikes , ran through sprinklers, we were fine.  I know the climate has changed, but these days, nup, can't stand it :no: 

HS

Have you heard? A US scientist says we should add SALT to our tea for a better cuppa!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68085304

Last August thru September a chap came on to the forum and offered Craftaids and tools from his late grandfather estate

The thread is locked;

Did anyone receive anything?  The last  I heard from the chap was on 1st - 3rd December that the items were sent. I was sorting out how to pay him. No money was paid over and even if it had been it wasn't for much, $15. But I've not seen what he sent, if he sent it. I'm disappointed. The chap hasn't been on the forum since maybe 29th December 

Fred, shipping ANYTHING to/from the U.S. is CRAZY, especially if it has to go to another country! It took well over a month for a couple of creasers I sent to reach people in the Eastern U.S.A. And then there was this bit of craziness...  The item took from Nov. 18 to Dec. 25 just to get out of the country! So, IOW, I wouldn't give up hope just yet!

The folks at USPS badly need to take geography lessons.... :rolleyes2:

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Oh YES. The good old USPS. The poster child for inefficiency. You might need Google Maps to follow this.

I live in Ellensburg, Washington. Right in the middle of the state. I sent a package to my friend in Seattle, 100 miles to the West.

In the USPS efforts at efficiency, it was sent to Yakima, 35 miles South. It was then sent back to the freeway here at Ellensburg on it's way to Spokane, 185 miles East.

From Spokane it is sent West, back through Ellensburg, to Seattle. A total of 540 miles to reach a destination 100 miles away.

And once it gets to Seattle, it goes through 3 post offices before it gets to her door.

And they want to raise the cost of postage AGAIN!

Canada Post may be better, but not by much. My niece, who lives in Southern Ontario, sent a Christmas parcel to her sister, who lives in Manitoba (first province west of Ontario.) It first got sent to New Brunswick, which is over 3,000 km. away from its intended destination!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I bought a 3D scanner from Amazon. They said it would come from their place in UK, but later it transpired it was coming from China

From its factory in China to Virginia, back to China to different place, from there to Alaska, back to China, yet another different place, to Chicago, to Texas, to Ontario, and was delivered to an address in Montreal. All this withing about 10 days.

Never got that scanner. I got refunded my money. The same day I received the refund the courier firm said they would send me another scanner which I received the next day. I tried to pay for this one but the courier company said that as I was refunded they cancelled sending me a replacement scanner and told me the one I had I didn't have. So, a free scanner and payment refunded

:o:o:lol:  Wow!  What a story!  How did you find out about the shipping history?

42 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

:o:o:lol:  Wow!  What a story!  How did you find out about the shipping history?

We have tracking numbers on parcels. Punch in the number on USPS website and it will show which post office it was last at. And Ellensburg is the very center of the state, and a hub for 2 freeways and a major highway.

53 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

The tracking number on the parcel. I could even find the address in Montreal and see the signature of the person who signed for it. I wonder if they were expecting a scanner or was it a surprise. It was delivered to a tall building with many floors, some were offices and some residential, so I don't if a business got the scanner 

18 hours ago, fredk said:

Have you heard? A US scientist says we should add SALT to our tea for a better cuppa!

Thats strange, some people prefer a dash of milk and sugar:rofl:

Seems like USPS has got worse since I last received a parcel .  It was some years ago now, but I ordered some stock from  a wholesaler in Pennsylvania ( the parcel had ' USPS' labels on it)  ,  it arrived quicker than our own postal service could deliver,  from PA to WA in 2 weeks. 

Won't be ordering from OS for a while  , not until our Oz $$ goes back up , its in the toilet ATM

HS

Just a wee 'celebration' to mark that I finished rebuilding 15 BMW torches. Done over the last few days

This is what I usually get;

Torch, 01LWs.jpg     Torch, 02LWs.jpg

Torch, 03LWs.jpg   Torch, 04s.jpg

They get new rechargeable batteries, new brass work & resistor, a new bulb, replacement lens and cleaned up; this what they look like when I'm done with them 

Torch, 05LWs.jpg   Torch, 06LWs.jpg

BMW don't make these torches anymore. Haven't for about 15 years. My #1 son has customers who have older BMW cars either without torches or ones not working. The customer wants a working torch and this is the only way they can get them.

afaik we are the only ones in the UK doing rebuilds in quantity. Two things which stop others from doing the rebuilds; the special batteries were discontinued by Varta about 10 years ago and the torch lenses; not all of them can be polished clean and re-used. We have work-arounds to continue rebuilds. I have 36 or so more in stock to rebuild.

Fred, please clarify - are these torches (we'd say flashlights) that were provided to owners of BMW cars, for emergency use? Or were they actually part of the car's regular lighting system?

Cool little sideline for you!

The flashlights were part of the original equipment. They plugged in for charging off the main car battery and could be taken out for the car owners use, in an emergency or for any other reason. Over the years the torches/flashlights were lost or forgotten about and became discharged and corroded inside. Now ppl with those older BMWs want to put their cars back to original spec but they lack a working torch/flashlight

I only do about 20 to 25 of these each year. Low demand. Although, when #1 circulates that he has a new batch in he'll sell 10 -12 within a day. I've been doing these for, afair, about 10 years now

#1 son is yet to pay me for doing these. Promises.

I'm doing one more tonite. A special one. I'll deliver these on Tuesday I think

On 1/25/2024 at 8:58 AM, Sheilajeanne said:

Fred, shipping ANYTHING to/from the U.S. is CRAZY, especially if it has to go to another country! It took well over a month for a couple of creasers I sent to reach people in the Eastern U.S.A. And then there was this bit of craziness...  The item took from Nov. 18 to Dec. 25 just to get out of the country! So, IOW, I wouldn't give up hope just yet!

The folks at USPS badly need to take geography lessons.... :rolleyes2:

This is a burnish tool present from me to tony see. @dieselpunkro

i can only guess the delay reason was maybe because the tool was a deer tine?

February 11, 2021, 4:17 pm
Delivered
ROMANIA
Your item was delivered in ROMANIA at 4:17 pm on February 11, 2021.

February 11, 2021, 10:31 am
Payment of charges - Item being held, addressee being notified
ROMANIA

February 11, 2021, 5:59 am
Out for Delivery
ROMANIA

February 10, 2021, 1:49 pm
Processed through Facility
BUCURESTI C, ROMANIA

February 10, 2021, 1:49 pm
Customs Clearance Processing Complete
ROMANIA

January 31, 2021, 5:02 pm
Held in Customs
BUCURESTI C, ROMANIA

January 31, 2021, 4:56 pm
Customs Clearance
ROMANIA

January 31, 2021, 10:37 am
Processed Through Facility
ROMANIA

December 25, 2020, 7:40 pm
Departed
NEWARK, UNITED STATES

December 24, 2020, 5:02 pm
Arrived
NEWARK, UNITED STATES

December 21, 2020, 1:45 pm
Processed Through Regional Facility
JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

December 21, 2020, 11:44 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

December 21, 2020, 11:44 am
Arrived at Regional Facility

December 17, 2020
In Transit to Next Facility

December 13, 2020, 11:02 am
MIAMI FL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

December 9, 2020, 12:56 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility
JACKSON MS DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

December 2, 2020, 2:02 pm

December 2, 2020, 10:06 am
Departed USPS Facility
OXFORD, MS 38675 

December 2, 2020, 6:45 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
OXFORD, MS 38675 

December 1, 2020, 1:12 pm
Arrived at USPS Facility
DISTRICT HEIGHTS, MD 20747 

December 1, 2020, 12:08 pm
MERRIFIELD VA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

November 29, 2020, 9:49 am
DULLES VA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

November 29, 2020, 6:05 am
MERRIFIELD VA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

November 29, 2020, 2:13 am
DULLES VA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

November 27, 2020, 9:57 am

November 23, 2020, 9:16 am

November 22, 2020, 3:07 pm

November 22, 2020, 2:17 pm
OPA LOCKA FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

November 22, 2020, 4:23 am
OPA LOCKA FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

November 20, 2020, 9:56 pm

November 18, 2020, 9:35 pm

November 18, 2020, 11:04 am
USPS in possession of item
BROOKHAVEN, MS 39601 

Fred:

none of my business, but I will not do business on any forum with a person who is not an established member. To much of a chance in getting ripped off 

AND. You STILL get hit now and then

i have a guy right now I am involved in a trade with.  He never sent his and has more useless excuses than I do !!!!!

No money was paid over so I've not lost any, but no sign of the items he said he posted. I'll wait a while yet. It may be coming by the slow-boat via China and Oz and will arrive in 8 to 10 months time. A chap in Oz sent me a book on early English pistols via the slow-boat, it took 6 weeks to arrive.

I once had car parts sent 1/2 way round the world that arrived the same day -  local time

They were rear light units for my Caddy. They were sent by the breaker in Alaska at 06.00 by FedEx and arrived in my country at 08.00 the next day, which was actually 23.00 the same day in Alaska. Then it took another 2 weeks for the FedEx 'partner' courier to deliver to my house - but thats another story

Yeah when I flew to the Philippines I lost a day but gained it on the way back

glad you did not get hit for $$.  Cause that hurts

Has anyone else noticed that chrome tan leather dulls blade fast? I put a new blade in my strap cutter and used it to cut 2.2ml chrome tan. I got 6 straps 75cm long and 2/3 of 7th and the blade was dull wouldn't no more 

On 1/27/2024 at 10:58 PM, fredk said:

A chap in Oz sent me a book on early English pistols via the slow-boat, it took 6 weeks to arrive.

Pretty typical for ' Australia Post' , lol ;) 

Its takes around 10-12 days  for stuff to arrive from the east ( or anywhere else)   to my town  . A line  in a movie ' ' O Brother Where Art Thou?'  " Aint this a geological oddity,  two weeks from anywhere"  , I'm thinking, yep, that  sounds like Australia Post , lol 

HS 

On 7/1/2022 at 1:42 PM, fredk said:

Matt, I think you must be correct. 

Handstitched, that is Fiebings Purple, same on both sides. As it fits perfectly the way I want it to there is no need to stretch it

tsunkasapa, Gremilns only cause problems with RAF machinery. 

As an aside; at least into the early - mid 1970s putting down 'Gremilns' on an RAF aircraft service card was a legit reason for when a ground crew could not locate and fix an intermittent fault as reported by the air crew. Gremilns were first discovered by the RFC during WW1. They are not what the 1984 film portrayed

Gremlins show up on airliners too ....

Here's a version that's available in my country: 

Gosh, Shatner was young...

See who the ambulance driver is?

On 1/28/2024 at 10:39 AM, fredk said:

Has anyone else noticed that chrome tan leather dulls blade fast? I put a new blade in my strap cutter and used it to cut 2.2ml chrome tan. I got 6 straps 75cm long and 2/3 of 7th and the blade was dull wouldn't no more 

No I have not noticed

i strop my blade every time I use