genesis

Is there a reason I dont see this contact adhesive mentioned?

Hello all, 

Loving the forum! My question is a pretty basic one. My background is auto upholstery, so leatherwork like most do here is a new territory for me. Basically, i see a ton of adhesives mentioned here, with barge and weldwood being mentioned predominantly (id like to try barge, it sounds great). But why is DAP WELDWOOD landau top solvent based contact adhesive not mentioned? In auto upholstery, its generally known to be the absolute best adhesive to be used to bond material including leather (at least in the USA), wIth regular Weldwood being pretty unsatisfactory. Is there a property that makes it unsuitable for leather goods making outside of automotive use? Just want to make sure im not missing something, as im getting ready to try and branch out into making some small stuff for personal use.

I am not much help as Barge cement has always been my go-to. It is an excellent product and not only on leather. I have also used Pliobond for other substances in my working days and believe it would most likely equal Barge although I have never used it on leather. I am just about out of of Barge and it is only available locally in small tubes.   I am considering trying out the Pliobond as I can pick up a small can with a brush applicator inside just to compare the two. The cement you mentioned is unknown to me.

Edited by doubleh

Quick look at DAP website mentions the high heat resistance of the landau ,which is not needed in most leather projects .  That might be the reason it's not mentioned (used ) much , just a guess on my part .

Barge is the best contact cement used with barge thinner it the best, applied right and nothing is stronger . Master bond is also very good on par with Barge . To me nothing works better than these for contact cement so there's not much point in looking all this IMHO .

5 hours ago, genesis said:

Hello all, 

Loving the forum! My question is a pretty basic one. My background is auto upholstery, so leatherwork like most do here is a new territory for me. Basically, i see a ton of adhesives mentioned here, with barge and weldwood being mentioned predominantly (id like to try barge, it sounds great). But why is DAP WELDWOOD landau top solvent based contact adhesive not mentioned? In auto upholstery, its generally known to be the absolute best adhesive to be used to bond material including leather (at least in the USA), wIth regular Weldwood being pretty unsatisfactory. Is there a property that makes it unsuitable for leather goods making outside of automotive use? Just want to make sure im not missing something, as im getting ready to try and branch out into making some small stuff for personal use.

my guess is cost and/or ease of finding it in a local store. it should work just fine try it on some scrap first.

6 hours ago, genesis said:

Hello all, 

Can't speak for the landau top issue, but Weldwood Cement is talked about very frequently here.  Personally I use the red cans and I know several others have posted that they use the same.  It is more than good enough for what I use it for.  I've also used Barge Cement in the tubes and didn't find it to be anything special, and Weldwood tends to be cheaper where I buy.

For my limited needs I use just your regular old LePage Heavy Duty Contact Cement.

kgg

2 hours ago, Tugadude said:

Can't speak for the landau top issue, but Weldwood Cement is talked about very frequently here.  Personally I use the red cans and I know several others have posted that they use the same.  It is more than good enough for what I use it for.  I've also used Barge Cement in the tubes and didn't find it to be anything special, and Weldwood tends to be cheaper where I buy.

Red can is a totally different formula orders of magnitude stronger.

4 hours ago, Samalan said:

Barge is the best contact cement used with barge thinner it the best, applied right and nothing is stronger . Master bond is also very good on par with Barge . To me nothing works better than these for contact cement so there's not much point in looking all this IMHO .

Thats a blanket statement i cant go with. I am interested in barge if its actually better for this purpose, but considering it seems to be a tossup between its strength and red can weldwood, i cant say thats a shining recommendation. I buy the weldwood im referring to in 5 gallon cans, so its most certainly worth "looking into" for me. Im sorry you dont feel as such. If barge works for you, great, but that was an off the cuff comment that was of no help.

I have used both for years and both will do the job, but because I moved my leather working to an air conditioned room switched to Aquilim 315.  It works as good as Barge or Weldwood but not flammable and no stink.

So I would use which ever is easier to find.

Weld-wood is evolved from Formica 140 cement.

31 minutes ago, genesis said:

Stronger than what?  The Weldwood you mentioned or Barge?

16 minutes ago, dannyd said:

I have used both for years and both will do the job, but because I moved my leather working to an air conditioned room switched to Aquilim 315.  It works as good as Barge or Weldwood but not flammable and no stink.

Love how easy it is to spread, how quick it sets up and if it gets a little thick just add water.

41 minutes ago, genesis said:

Stronger than what?  The Weldwood you mentioned or Barge?

I went to DAP's website to look at their various contact adhesives and from what little they publish in their technical data sheets, the biggest difference I could ascertain was that the landau adhesive has a much longer open time, 2 hours compared to 20 minutes for the original formula.

The main answer to the OPs question is answered by their own statements made about working in the automotive industry.  I'm sure this adhesive is common to anyone in that industry.  I'm not in that industry and despite the fact I have had a lot of experience with various adhesives, including working for manufacturers of same, I'd never run across it.  Doesn't mean it isn't the bee's knees.

I have stayed away from Barge . . . based on the simple fact that if applied correctly . . .  Weldwood cannot be pulled apart.

If you believe you have succeeded . . . take another look.  You pulled fibers of leather off both pieces . . . in effect . . . ripping the leather apart.

Barge cannot do any better than that . . . period.

Reading the MSDS for Barge . . . . that stuff ain't coming in my shop.

May God bless,

Dwight

39 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

The main answer to the OPs question is answered by their own statements made about working in the automotive industry.  I'm sure this adhesive is common to anyone in that industry.  I'm not in that industry and despite the fact I have had a lot of experience with various adhesives, including working for manufacturers of same, I'd never run across it.  Doesn't mean it isn't the bee's knees.

Exactly. I've used many contact adsives in 45 years of building, but never heard of this one. Can't use something if you don't know it exists.

13 hours ago, genesis said:

Thats a blanket statement i cant go with. I am interested in barge if its actually better for this purpose, but considering it seems to be a tossup between its strength and red can weldwood, i cant say thats a shining recommendation. I buy the weldwood im referring to in 5 gallon cans, so its most certainly worth "looking into" for me. Im sorry you dont feel as such. If barge works for you, great, but that was an off the cuff comment that was of no help.

The blanket  off the cuff comment as you call it , was     I  in   M  my    H   humble   O   Opinion  IMHO sorry it didn't help I have ben using contact cement for more than 50 years in Industry and for home use that helped form that "opinion" now that does not make me correct it only means I have some knowledge of contact cement and truly was just trying to help. 

I suggest we all take a deep breath and ratchet the heat down a bit.  After all, we're talking about adhesive here, don't let it tear us apart!  See, a little humor goes a long way.

The OPs response to Samalan was unwaranted.  Take advice or don't.  Take feedback or don't.  No need to make it personal.  

Kindness goes a long way.  When someone gives an honest answer, even if it is off-topic or "wrong" in your opinion, take it for what it is and move on.  Makes things a lot simpler and more fun.

15 hours ago, dannyd said:

^ This 100%. Aquilim 315 is the only glue I use anymore. You can see me using it all the time on my YouTube channel. Previously bought Barge and Weldwood simply because those were easily available at Home Depot and Lowes. 

Aquilim is more expensive, and you have to order it online from Germany, but for me the fact that it's water-based, non-toxic, and low-oder more than offsets the health risks associated with the high-VOC stuff. I was getting headaches brushing on the other glues.

I found it's plenty strong for everything I've thrown at it. But I use it almost exclusively for gluing liners . . . which all get stitched anyway . . . so how strong does it really need to be?

Edited by Chakotay

33 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

I suggest we all take a deep breath and ratchet the heat down a bit. 

Just don't take a deep breath of Barge or Weldwood! lol

5 minutes ago, Chakotay said:

Just don't take a deep breath of Barge or Weldwood! lol

True!

I agree with what others have said here. I have never heard of this stuff, didn't know it was a thing. And I'm relatively new to leather working so there's that too. I have tried a couple of different contact cements and found my favorite to be SLC's Ever-Tack. It's water based, not flammable, no bad smells, cleans up pretty easily, and when applied to both pieces holds pretty darn good. At least good enough to get my stitching holes made and get the piece stitched up. 

11 minutes ago, Chakotay said:

But I use it almost exclusively for gluing liners . . . which all get stitched anyway . . . so how strong does it really need to be?

This has kind of been my philosophy on cements too. It doesn't really seem that I need something that's going to glue a bowling ball to the ceiling if it's going to get stitched. 

Just my opinions, take it for what it's worth. 

10 minutes ago, ArkieNewbie said:

I agree with what others have said here. I have never heard of this stuff, didn't know it was a thing. And I'm relatively new to leather working so there's that too. I have tried a couple of different contact cements and found my favorite to be SLC's Ever-Tack. It's water based, not flammable, no bad smells, cleans up pretty easily, and when applied to both pieces holds pretty darn good. At least good enough to get my stitching holes made and get the piece stitched up. 

This has kind of been my philosophy on cements too. It doesn't really seem that I need something that's going to glue a bowling ball to the ceiling if it's going to get stitched. 

Just my opinions, take it for what it's worth. 

You make some very good points.  A lot of projects I do I just need the glue to hold long enough until I finish stitching.  In fact, for that reason I like to use double-sided tape in many instances.  The only limiting factor is the issue of the very edge of the leather.  If you run the tape all the way to the edge it can sometimes create issues, issues that the glue doesn't seem to.  And if you hold it back too far from the edge, then there can be separation between the two layers which isn't helpful.  For that reason I pick my spots on where I use tape versus glue.  

just looked at the dap weldwood landau stuff, its for spraying so is probably very thin stuff. But i would bet it is exactly the same as regular dap weldwood or very very close except for the viscosity and about 20 bucks more for a gallon. As some have said when a glue performs so well that the glued item gives way first then using a "better" glue is a mute point. Regular old weldwood for me its in my hardware store, works great and as other have said its only for holding my stuff together until the thread is in.

You talking about this stuff? I assume it’s for furniture considering the boards on the front. Used it to put laminate top on something for my wife. When I started leatherworkng I grabbed it and did some project. Stuck ok. Just too difficult container for small jobs. 

EEB4FF94-570D-49DB-A7D6-0EB59E161D99.jpeg

11 minutes ago, 327fed said:

You talking about this stuff? I assume it’s for furniture considering the boards on the front. Used it to put laminate top on something for my wife. When I started leatherworkng I grabbed it and did some project. Stuck ok. Just too difficult container for small jobs. 

EEB4FF94-570D-49DB-A7D6-0EB59E161D99.jpeg

yup good stuff as you can see on the front, many applications they just didn't write leather on it lol. i bought a small glass bottle of it that i refill from the larger can.