Danne

The tools I used to make this watch strap

I sometimes see people who ask what tools they need for this craft. 

This is most of what I use to make a watch strap. Not included are things like a granite plate for skiving, a punch pad for hole punches, a cutting mat, and such.
I understand that an electric creaser and irons and punches from brands like Ksblade can be expensive, but there are cheaper good alternatives that will give you a really good result, like manual creaser irons (you heat over an alcohol lamp) and cheaper good quality hole punches and stitching irons.

If there is one tool I wouldn't buy the cheapest then it's the skiving knife. This is a Kyoshin Elle 40-50 euros so not super expensive, but the really cheap ones out there will cause you a lot of frustration. And btw, I sharpen my skiving knife with wet and dry sandpaper (Mirka or 3M are good brands)

IMG_4568.thumb.JPG.3d42eae9a198737046f4e128aaa31421.JPG

IMG_4566.thumb.JPG.bd02683a623cde3548b74dc17e865714.JPG

I don't make watch straps, and don't intend to, but thank you for a clear illustration of the tools that you use

Just one question though - I can identify most of the tools except for the 4 X small rectangular blocks between the pen and the glue pot; what are they please?

3 minutes ago, zuludog said:

I don't make watch straps, and don't intend to, but thank you for a clear illustration of the tools that you use

Just one question though - I can identify most of the tools except for the 4 X small rectangular blocks between the pen and the glue pot; what are they please?

Paraffin wax

Bees wax

Crepe rubber

A sanding block (Just a small piece of beech wood to hold sand paper.)

Edited by Danne

29 minutes ago, Danne said:

Paraffin wax

Bees wax

Crepe rubber

A sanding block (Just a small piece of beech wood to hold sand paper.)

Thanks. I recognise them now, and know them, but they were not so easy to identify just on their own.

I really admire your precision and expertise at making your watch straps. And your eye for color combinations , that I never would think of trying. 

I know that those that have posted questions in the past and will in the future , will benefit from  your kindness in sharing the array of tools needed to do it the craftsman's way.

Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

5 minutes ago, rleather said:

I really admire your precision and expertise at making your watch straps. And your eye for color combinations , that I never would think of trying. 

I know that those that have posted questions in the past and will in the future , will benefit from  your kindness in sharing the array of tools needed to do it the craftsman's way.

Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Thank you, 

lol, when I look at my straps or other leather projects, I only see what could be improved. I mean I know I have reached a level where I have quite good attention to details, but there are always things that can be improved, and also consistency is hard, the smallest "mistake" become so visible on such a small item as a watch strap. But it's also what I like about this craft (To spend time on on details, and improving details)

The same merry christmas :)

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Excellent thread. What is the significance of the two round awls, and the block of wood next to the mallet?

One awl is used as a scratch awl, the other one is really sharp and polished for making round holes, like for the stitching at the point of the long strap. 

The block of wood is a ”slicker plate” If I glue two thin pieces of leather together and use a ”rubber roller” to press them together it will distort the leather, If I instead use a slicker plate and a piece of paper between that doesn’t happen. For this strap it’s used to press down reinforcement when glued to the top layer. When I glue the reinforcement I fold it slightly at the lug and buckle end (otherwise it wrinkles when fully folded) so not enough space to use a roller. (Sorry if I explained bad)

Edited by Danne

On 12/4/2022 at 1:59 PM, Danne said:

Thank you, 

lol, when I look at my straps or other leather projects, I only see what could be improved. I mean I know I have reached a level where I have quite good attention to details, but there are always things that can be improved, and also consistency is hard, the smallest "mistake" become so visible on such a small item as a watch strap. But it's also what I like about this craft (To spend time on on details, and improving details)

I admire your work, and kindness.

I’m 73. For 10-15 years I have always made larger horse related items.

These days I’m trying to wind down the shop, to just small items now.
But my shaking hands often prevent the precision work of your quality.

I admire your work, and celebrate  you,,,,, for your generous posts on this forum to help others.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Joel

3 hours ago, GrampaJoel said:

I admire your work, and kindness.

I’m 73. For 10-15 years I have always made larger horse related items.

These days I’m trying to wind down the shop, to just small items now.
But my shaking hands often prevent the precision work of your quality.

I admire your work, and celebrate  you,,,,, for your generous posts on this forum to help others.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Joel

Thank you for your kind words.

Now I have no idea how much shaking you have in your hands, but maybe it could be an inspiration that it doesn't stop Bedos leatherworks, he have a Youtube channel, he repair shoes and handbags mainly. He have had shakings in his hands all of his life, and his work is really clean. Of course I understand that it can make it harder (Self having health issues that stop me from pursuing this craft to the level I want too)

Merry christmas to you also Joel.

On 12/4/2022 at 2:59 PM, Danne said:

Thank you, 

Not believing anything is "good enough" is the mark of a perfectionist.  I like perfectionists because their work can serve as a model, something to strive towards.  And your work certainly is that.  

In my case, as a hobbyist, I have a difficulty in finding the time to sit and create.  I just finally took steps towards carving out a dedicated area in my home where I can devote time to leatherwork.  That's the benefit of all of the kids vacating the premises.  Finally!  :)

Please, please continue to show your work.  Every project is interesting whether it is the quality or the colors or the sorts of materials used.  I have learned from your work.  I hope that brings you some satisfaction.

Thank you!

Ray

4 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

Not believing anything is "good enough" is the mark of a perfectionist.  I like perfectionists because their work can serve as a model, something to strive towards.  And your work certainly is that.  

In my case, as a hobbyist, I have a difficulty in finding the time to sit and create.  I just finally took steps towards carving out a dedicated area in my home where I can devote time to leatherwork.  That's the benefit of all of the kids vacating the premises.  Finally!  :)

Please, please continue to show your work.  Every project is interesting whether it is the quality or the colors or the sorts of materials used.  I have learned from your work.  I hope that brings you some satisfaction.

Thank you!

Ray

It has it's good and bad sides. Sometimes when I see someone sharing someone as a beginner, and they are really happy with their project, even though it has a lot of flaws (And they know this also) I have never been able to feel like that for more than a short while after I did succeed with a new construction method or managed to get the finish I was looking for, after this I start to see other things that could be improved. Don't get me wrong here, like if I look at a wallet made by Sima, it's not like I become jelaous because I'm not on that level, and don't have all the skills for how to construct certain things, I do take inspiration and learn from analyzing photos from good crafters. It's more that I judge my own work, and when I figure out constructions, make templates and such, I put a lot of pressure on myself to come closer to perfection. 

I don't craft a lot right now, but I do have some saved photos and such, so I can share more here. I will actually share a tip here in a thread now.

9 hours ago, Danne said:

Thank you for your kind words.

Now I have no idea how much shaking you have in your hands, but maybe it could be an inspiration that it doesn't stop Bedos leatherworks, he have a Youtube channel, he repair shoes and handbags mainly. He have had shakings in his hands all of his life, and his work is really clean. Of course I understand that it can make it harder (Self having health issues that stop me from pursuing this craft to the level I want too)

Merry christmas to you also Joel.

HAMMER TIME

18 minutes ago, Burkhardt said:

HAMMER TIME

:offtopic: Just joking. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Burkhardt said:

I was referring to Steve from Bedo's before he hammers on the soles.

Yes, I know. He is funny

On 12/4/2022 at 5:14 PM, Danne said:

Paraffin wax

Bees wax

Hi @Danne! Thank you again for sharing. I'm only use bees wax, and I'm interested in knowing what use do you make of the parafin wax?

On 10/23/2023 at 10:01 AM, Ornyal said:

Hi @Danne! Thank you again for sharing. I'm only use bees wax, and I'm interested in knowing what use do you make of the parafin wax?

Sorry for late answer. Bees wax give a little bit more gloss to the edge compared to paraffin. Both work fine to seal the edge though.

Hi @Danne, glad to see you back, I saw your recent post on r/leathercraft about what colors should a strapmaker keep in stock, and I immediatly thought you may have answered here. You post history on reddit is a gold mine, so many interesting questions & answers, thank you for sharing !

3 hours ago, Ornyal said:

Hi @Danne, glad to see you back, I saw your recent post on r/leathercraft about what colors should a strapmaker keep in stock, and I immediatly thought you may have answered here. You post history on reddit is a gold mine, so many interesting questions & answers, thank you for sharing !

I try to share when I can. When it comes to some parts of leathercraft, fine leathergoods in particular, there is so much that are kept secret. I’m in no way an expert, but I have learned a lot of techniques over the years, and if I can help someone I will.

8 minutes ago, Danne said:

I try to share when I can. When it comes to some parts of leathercraft, fine leathergoods in particular, there is so much that are kept secret. I’m in no way an expert, but I have learned a lot of techniques over the years, and if I can help someone I will.

Thanks again for all the advices you share. It was extremely helpful. As a hobbyist my number one struggle is finding time between Job, Family and social commitments, Keeping physically healthy and other mundane obligation and time for leathercrafting. 

I am lucky this to arrange some time this year to visit two leather tanneries; 1) Wickett & Craig in Curwensville PA (I am visiting a relative 3 hours away) 2) Horween in Chicago IL (wife work conference). I will try to learn the basics of the material we work with.

11 minutes ago, NDphung said:

Thanks again for all the advices you share. It was extremely helpful. As a hobbyist my number one struggle is finding time between Job, Family and social commitments, Keeping physically healthy and other mundane obligation and time for leathercrafting. 

I am lucky this to arrange some time this year to visit two leather tanneries; 1) Wickett & Craig in Curwensville PA (I am visiting a relative 3 hours away) 2) Horween in Chicago IL (wife work conference). I will try to learn the basics of the material we work with.

That sounds awesome, It would be amazing to visit a tannery. I guess I should visit Tärnsjö tannery in Sweden someday.