Handstitched

Custom Round Case

G'Day,

This my latest effort. Its for a client. Theres a board game inside. The board is soft/flexible with components & instructions rolled up inside a custom made 'velveteen draw sting bag' . 

The leather is 3-3.2 mm veg tan, dyed with a whisky antique , and all hand stitched ( complete with sore fingers & hands lol )   and with solid brass hardware.  

I  very rarely make ' round ' stuff, but this turned out alright .   I modified an awl.  I still need practice using curved needles  , my ( sore)  fingers just couldn't hold them, I went with straight needles  in the end.  I also need a bit more practice sewing ' round' things' .  I got this done just in time for Christmas.

* the blue "thing" in the background is  a  modified canopy for a boat....but thats another story...' again... just in time for Christmas '*

HS

Custom Round Case Dec. 2022 001.jpg

Custom Round Case Dec. 2022 002.jpg

Custom Round Case Dec. 2022 007.jpg

Custom Round Case Dec. 2022 003.jpg

Man that is really nice! How tall is it? Looks like a bunch of leather, and a little bit of stitching lol. 

very nice !! no wonder your fingers hurt thats a lot of sewing for any shape.

Nice work

Pretty dang cool!

Nice work!  

Nice.  I especially like how you did the cap for it.  Most of the cylindrical cases that I've seen usually just have the cap as just a little larger than the main cylinder so that it just slips over the cylinder.  I think having the cap be the same size as the main body looks better.  Once I get a few other projects out of the way I plan on making a cylindrical case similar to this to carry a flag on the motorcycle, and  I may use this style of cap.

/dwight

Just make sure DwighT . . . when you get that dude done . . . you show us your handywork.  

I did one "almost round" item once . . . have sworn off the things . . . did it for a wedding gift . . . about 4 months later . . . got an email from a stranger . . .  had a picture of the gift . . .  wanted to know why I made it . . . what the function was.

They had picked it up in a second hand store . . . 

So much for hand stitched wedding gifts.

May God bless,

Dwight

Highly skilled work right there.  I'm interested in the modified awl.  Heated and bent in a curve?  How long?  How do you sharpen it?

Very nice! I like the way you did the cap as well! Good job!