doubleh

I guess work area lighting could be considered to be "tools"

I do my work on an old oak desk I rescued from a junk shop and restored and it is in my garage. I have one of the swivel desk lamps mounted on one side and and a small reading light on other plus one of the super bright harbor Freight LED shop lights hung from the ceiling just behind me. With all that light I still have trouble with my stamp holding hand casting a shadow on what I am doing. I researched LED headlamp recently and finally decided on one by Energizer available at Walmart for 10 bucks. It is simple in that it only has two brightness levels to deal with and I have found the lower setting to provide the right amount of light to suit me. The higher setting is too bright. I just used it to border stamp a holster and it worked perfectly. It is light and comfortable to wear also. It was a cheap fix.

Edited by doubleh

That bright led light behind you is likely casting the most shadow.  Try turning it off and using the 2 desk lamps, perhaps adding another or repositioning the led so it's not shadowing your body.

Rest assured that it is my hand making the shadow. I have no shadow until my hand with the stamp is in position on the leather. I added the overhead light trying to eliminate the shadow and did a lot of experimentation before going to the headlamp. The only other thing that worked was a light on a pole shining directly over my shoulder which I bumped out of place every time I moved to reach for something or knocked over when I forgot it was there and swiveled my chair to get up. I use a simple pair of 2x frameless reading glasses for close work now. I have an optivisor that has been unused since I had my cataracts removed. The glasses and LED light combined are so light weight I barely notice I have anything on. I also play around at being a machinest or woodworker when not fiddling with leathercraft and this combo is going to work well with both of those.

I never cared much for the headlamps,  so I went this route. Just an adjustable LED lamp. I can shine it right where I'm tooling.  I may revisit a headlamp sometime, but for now, this works great. 

Randy

20221223_140611.jpg

I have something similar, rktaylor, but it's on its own base, and the bulb is halogen rather than LED. One of these days I should upgrade to LED as the halogen bulb is very hot and no doubt burns a lot of electricity. I have considered a headband, too, due to the problem with the shadows created by my own hand, but haven't gone that route yet.

I also have a 3 ft long LED fixture attached to the shelf just above my work area, which gives a lovely bright light. Those new LED fixtures that have replaced fluorescent tubes are great! Highly recommend them. 

Edited by Sheilajeanne

I have numerous lamps to light my work area

Have any of youse considered using a small cheap head-lamp, on an elastic strap, and wearing it on your wrist?

This sort, wear the strap around your wrist and manoeuvre the wee light into the palm of your hand. It puts light just where you want it. You can get these for just a couple of $$ in most discount stores. I have several of them laying about. Wear them on yourself to point where the light is needed, or strap them to an object for the same purpose

41oBAo6yVmL.jpg

Edited by fredk